Alexander - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alexander Reviews

½ July 1, 2017
The film Alexander indeed skips over large portions of his life making the biopic aspect of the film seem incomplete. However, this is made up by the movies in depth conversations about homosexuality, racial identity and racism. We are able to witness through this movie the true birth of the white supremacy ideology as it is taken from Europe and brought to the rest of the world (Asia and North Africa). Alexander battles his commanders and their racist ideology whilst he battles his own sexual identity and ponders a united world. Additionally there are plenty of battle sequences which do well to represent historical tactics and logistics of the time.
½ June 6, 2017
i dont know what any of the people involved in this film were thinking its an absolute mess
May 26, 2017
First off, This is a FILM not a popcorn action flick. So for all you haters who have yet to understand that... do me a solid and stuff that popcorn. I admit Mr. Stone did drag out certain scenes the gist of the movie was "beautiful".
May 2, 2017
An under appreciated movie that was destroyed by studio interference. The Final and Ultimate cuts restore Stone's original vision and create something truly extraordinary. Rating: 8/10
April 16, 2017
The look of the movie was cool. Some inaccuracies of course but still a good overall movie
March 19, 2017
"Alexander" is simply the vision of a talented director on the life of one of the most influential people in history.
Although sometimes Colin Farrell's performance is exaggerated, boring scenes or meaningless sequences, Alexander provides us with great battle scenes, magnificent atmosphere and a great photograph that sometimes makes it a great visual spectacle, worthy of the "peplum" that few movies do.
In addition, Alexander has a deep personality and distant from the vision we have of the conqueror, who can always open debate and makes the film an interesting experience.
March 11, 2017
After years of wanting to watch this movie, I finally sat down and watched it on Netflix. I immediately regretted not watching it sooner. The narrative weaved to create this beautiful adaptation of Alexander's life. His relationship with his mother and father and how those tensions played out and given to you in fragments that are ultimately assembled at the end. His evolution from boy, to youth, to man is captivating. Watching his self-doubt and the struggles he faces surrounding his parentage shed light on the man turned legend. Not to mention the the depth of affection between him and the love of his life, Hephaestion.

The negativity I've heard revolving this movie is not the cinematography or cast but prejudice against the the unapologetic portrayl of the sexuality of this historic figure. It seems to me like queerphobia and not actual criticism keeps people from rating this movie a percentage closer to what it deserves.
February 21, 2017
Talk about a bad movie, I could not get past the two hour mark, and that says a lot since I got past Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Real quick:

Alexander and his dad were both Irish, I know this because they both used Irish accents in the movie.

Hollywood can't make a movie without a guy or lesbian main character. Here it's Alexander... spite no historical reference supporting this and the threat of lawsuits form 25 Greek lawyers, Oliver Stone decided to go with it. Oh, 25% of the movie is Alexander's gay love scenes, so... really gay.

Nearly all the actors appear to be trying to do Shakespeare.

All the men love eye liner.

The movie moves slower than a snail.

That sums it up, with far more than it deserved.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 12/12/04 (Sun)

Watched this last Sunday, nine days ago. I am just curious how long I can put my plan off to write a review for this movie.

A few of my friends said it is boring. Agree, in fact, TROY is less sleep-inducing. You know some movies are good but boring but I dare say ALEXANDER is a bold attempt at making an epic, with fantastic production values, but fails to tell us who the king really is.

Ok, probably the biggest 'discovery' is the great king was a homosexual who loved his buddy, bedded his male servant and maybe even an incestuous love affair with his mother. How twisted! And a few ladies may be whispering that while they are dosing off, there is a scene that you can catch a glimpse of Irish hunk Colin Farrell's bare behind and ... his nuts. "Oh really? Damn, how I wish I wasn't sleeping. I hope I did not miss much."

So far, I am yet to come across someone who likes ALEXANDER. Looks like nobody can stay awake to like it.

Well, I survived the movie (I don't like to dose off watching a movie because it is a waste of my money) and still I do not like it as much as Oliver Stone's other movies. I love best his JFK.

Still, there are some redeeming parts. First, I would say Oliver Stone is sincere in telling the story of ALEXANDER and he attempts to delve into his troubled short-lived existence. I especially like the last one hour. The elephant battle scene is awesome and Alexander's death scene is beautifully shot. Anthony Hopkin's monolgue near the ending is rather revealing, making us pity the early demise of a king who dares to achieve, even at the expense of his death.

If not for the last one hour, the movie is packed with big and twisty dialogue that had me scratching my head. Most of the times, I see alot of people very angry with one another. The performances are over-the-top but never bad. Angelina Jolie is so beautiful and sexy that she becomes a major distraction. Val Kilmer tries his best to play his role, one which is not really in his repertoire. Anthony Hopkins is simply competent but not good. Rosario Dawson bares more than her acting capabilities. Colin has flaws but largely carries the demanding role well. With his movie, his stardom will shine on but I am more interested in his other talked-about movie called A HOME AT THE END OF THE WORLD, which I think should be banned in Singapore because of its bisexual theme.

So, with bits and pieces of good things about ALEXANDER, I can say I don't like it but I won't hate it too. Yup, I still stand by anyone who says it is boring.

Rating: B
January 10, 2017
Not a good movie to watch
December 15, 2016
Watched an hour 50 . Didn't get though it . Was hoping it would be better ... Great story but not a great movie ... Probably would have better on big screen . Maybe
½ October 2, 2016
7/10 a good story but fully white cast and runtime let it down
September 17, 2016
'Alexander', not-so-great (too easy?)
September 4, 2016
Favorite Colin Farrell movie! Oliver Stone directs a masterpiece!
jamrcla
August 1, 2016
Too long, Goes very slow in the middle, The story was ok but boring but there was a good battle scene at the beginning and near the end but apart from that it's pretty bland and not greatly acted, I'd stick to Troy.
July 6, 2016
Stupid and laughably executed.
June 22, 2016
I caught the Final Cut edition of the film for some odd reason. It added even more time to an already long and drawn out theatrical cut. This film is just plain boring. There's really no way around it or no other way to explain it. Check it out only if forced by your parents after they make you Thanksgiving dinner and after you already suggest Die Hard and they turn it down.
½ May 4, 2016
Very close to the worst movie I've ever seen
April 16, 2016
I LOVED IT, NEVERTHELESS...
March 11, 2016
One of the most underrated movie in Hollywood's history making ... !!! (what a shame)