Alexander - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alexander Reviews

August 29, 2018
I like this movie don't know why people don't!?
½ August 25, 2018
I remember as a kid I didn't really like it, but now, years later, I know I don't like it. It was hard to stay with it. The ultimate cut on Netflix was on my list for awhile and I had time to kill. But by the intermission, I found myself constantly looking at the runtime, seeing how close it was to the end. It lacked the poetry and rhythm of epics like Lawerence of Arabia, the dialogue mostly came out awkward and often laughable; I think the overacting was a product of the poor screenplay. I am a huge Colin Farrell fan, but even he struggled. He showed great range, but rarely had a chance to show his subtleness and nuance, and therefore, I think it could've been a miscast. As for Kilmer and Jolie, they just were awful. The dynamics it was trying to create between the leads failed because there was no transition for Alexander (when he was a boy he hated his father, when he was a man he hated his mother). I do not think the non-linear structure helped the plot, it only weighted it down. The motifs were too ham-fisted, especially the lion (the lion roars when Alexander was in battle made me laugh). I didn't like any of the characters, everyone was too predictable, most of the scenes tried to connect with other scenes but came out as forced, particularly any scene focusing Alexander with his horse. Nothing was fully realized, everything simply grazed, I think Alexander and his relationship with his horse perfectly sums up most of the film; he had a special relationship with his horse, we see it born and we see this relationship die, but we see nothing building up to the end, nothing sustaining the birth; although we know its suppose to be special, we don't believe it.
August 16, 2018
Much to long and boring in many parts.
½ August 12, 2018
Total straight washing.
½ June 8, 2018
Boy was this painful. Colin Farrell and Oliver Stone team up to make this magnus opus on Alexander which badly misfires. Watch this to see how not to make a big budget film.
½ March 2, 2018
This is ambitious both in scale and production value, however it is horrible at delivering an interesting script with any kind of cohesive story. It could of been (and should have been) way better than what it was. Ultimately, I found it to be way too long and with very little point to exist.
½ January 31, 2018
An absolutely terrible movie! Beyond cheesy acting and just bad in general. LOUSY.
January 28, 2018
I saw this opening day the night before Thanksgiving in 2004. I grew up being fascinated by Alexander the Great and I was a huge fan of Oliver Stone even at that age. I left incredibly disappointed. Years later I bought the Final Cut on Blu Ray and was amazed at how much Stone had improved upon his theatrical cut of the film. It's not perfect by any means and a lot scenes are flat out poorly written, shot and acted but when the film works it REALLY works. The massive DVD and Blu Ray sales for Alexander show that clearly people are coming around to this flick, warts and all and in an age of endless corporate shit being churned out by Hollywood, its a miracle a film this audacious even got made at all.
January 24, 2018
I dont know why so many people hate this movie. I love it.
½ January 13, 2018
Yes, I made it through all three thousand four hundred eighty-two hours, thirteen minutes, and twenty-two seconds of the Ultimate Super Duper Mega Awesome Director's Cut. Yes, it's as bad as everyone said it was.

I'm not saying Colin Farrell is a bad actor overall. I'm just saying this is a textbook example of a square peg in a round hole.

All the costumes and sets looked surprisingly cheap for a movie I hear cost $150 million. Where did all the money go? Probably towards all the guyliner Farrell wears in this movie. This is supposed to be about one of the greatest military leaders in human history yet we only get two poorly filmed battle scenes. The rest of the time nothing happens.

The movie jumps all over the time line - back and forth, back, back, forth, forth - which prevents the story from every establishing any kind of flow.

Finally, why do all these 'Macedonians' have Scotch-Irish accents?
October 26, 2017
An under appreciated movie that was destroyed by studio interference. The Final and Ultimate cuts restore Stone's original vision and create something truly extraordinary.

Rating: 10/10
October 16, 2017
I think I'm one of the few people who actually liked this movie. It's long but it does tell a story.
½ October 13, 2017
A horrible stupid movie. Cant believe i actually sat thro this mess at the theatre
½ October 7, 2017
Collin Ferrel and the horrible, no good, very bad movie.

Jesus f***ing Christ, this has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Boring talk scene after boring talk scene, lasting for about 9/10 of the movie. The dialouge is so stiff, and jarring that I can't help but get a headache whenever somone talks.

Not only was this movie painful to listen to, it was ugly to watch. The color pallete was fugly as HeII, with browns and grays being schmeared all over the screen at nasuem. The costumes didnt even fit the right time period, which is probably what hurt the most.

Now lets talk about the casting. Collin Ferrel was so terrible in this movie. He didn't fit the role, he didn't try to make it interesting, and he was clearly only there for a paycheck. What a joke.

Do NOT pick up this movie, there is NO reason to. Not for drinking with your friends to laugh at it, not to think you'll have a funny time watching everyone care so little about the movie, just let this die.
This movie gets a 1/10 for not only being a boring peice of garbage, but for being a boring peice of garbage that lasts for 3 hours
September 26, 2017
viewed on 12/12/04 (Sun)

Watched this last Sunday, nine days ago. I am just curious how long I can put my plan off to write a review for this movie.

A few of my friends said it is boring. Agree, in fact, TROY is less sleep-inducing. You know some movies are good but boring but I dare say ALEXANDER is a bold attempt at making an epic, with fantastic production values, but fails to tell us who the king really is.

Ok, probably the biggest 'discovery' is the great king was a homosexual who loved his buddy, bedded his male servant and maybe even an incestuous love affair with his mother. How twisted! And a few ladies may be whispering that while they are dosing off, there is a scene that you can catch a glimpse of Irish hunk Colin Farrell's bare behind and ... his nuts. "Oh really? Damn, how I wish I wasn't sleeping. I hope I did not miss much."

So far, I am yet to come across someone who likes ALEXANDER. Looks like nobody can stay awake to like it.

Well, I survived the movie (I don't like to dose off watching a movie because it is a waste of my money) and still I do not like it as much as Oliver Stone's other movies. I love best his JFK.

Still, there are some redeeming parts. First, I would say Oliver Stone is sincere in telling the story of ALEXANDER and he attempts to delve into his troubled short-lived existence. I especially like the last one hour. The elephant battle scene is awesome and Alexander's death scene is beautifully shot. Anthony Hopkin's monolgue near the ending is rather revealing, making us pity the early demise of a king who dares to achieve, even at the expense of his death.

If not for the last one hour, the movie is packed with big and twisty dialogue that had me scratching my head. Most of the times, I see alot of people very angry with one another. The performances are over-the-top but never bad. Angelina Jolie is so beautiful and sexy that she becomes a major distraction. Val Kilmer tries his best to play his role, one which is not really in his repertoire. Anthony Hopkins is simply competent but not good. Rosario Dawson bares more than her acting capabilities. Colin has flaws but largely carries the demanding role well. With his movie, his stardom will shine on but I am more interested in his other talked-about movie called A HOME AT THE END OF THE WORLD, which I think should be banned in Singapore because of its bisexual theme.

So, with bits and pieces of good things about ALEXANDER, I can say I don't like it but I won't hate it too. Yup, I still stand by anyone who says it is boring.

Rating: B
½ July 1, 2017
The film Alexander indeed skips over large portions of his life making the biopic aspect of the film seem incomplete. However, this is made up by the movies in depth conversations about homosexuality, racial identity and racism. We are able to witness through this movie the true birth of the white supremacy ideology as it is taken from Europe and brought to the rest of the world (Asia and North Africa). Alexander battles his commanders and their racist ideology whilst he battles his own sexual identity and ponders a united world. Additionally there are plenty of battle sequences which do well to represent historical tactics and logistics of the time.
½ June 6, 2017
i dont know what any of the people involved in this film were thinking its an absolute mess
May 26, 2017
First off, This is a FILM not a popcorn action flick. So for all you haters who have yet to understand that... do me a solid and stuff that popcorn. I admit Mr. Stone did drag out certain scenes the gist of the movie was "beautiful".
April 16, 2017
The look of the movie was cool. Some inaccuracies of course but still a good overall movie
March 19, 2017
"Alexander" is simply the vision of a talented director on the life of one of the most influential people in history.
Although sometimes Colin Farrell's performance is exaggerated, boring scenes or meaningless sequences, Alexander provides us with great battle scenes, magnificent atmosphere and a great photograph that sometimes makes it a great visual spectacle, worthy of the "peplum" that few movies do.
In addition, Alexander has a deep personality and distant from the vision we have of the conqueror, who can always open debate and makes the film an interesting experience.