Alien: Covenant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alien: Covenant Reviews

September 22, 2017
Fairly ok for an Alien film....
½ September 22, 2017
Total disappointment. Slow, and no characters that you really care about except maybe Walter.
½ September 22, 2017
I liked it, classic Alien movie, predictable but at least it ended on a high note :)
September 21, 2017
I liked it... Decent addition to the series.
½ September 21, 2017
not sure what the hype about the movie was. just a normal SCI-FI movie.
½ September 20, 2017
Meh... the only thing really going for it were some fantastic visuals and Danny McBride.
September 20, 2017
Remind me how the plot was any different from the other installments. ????????
½ September 20, 2017
péssimo, horrivel ou seja...previsível. Foco na cena do banho..
September 19, 2017
From the start, I felt like Alien:Covenant was something like an Alien movie set in an Isaac Asimov story. Without getting too in to spoilers, I think that this is the first Alien movie where the androids are the most important characters, not the humans or the aliens. The two android characters were programmed with different limitations creating different motivations, and decision making. The horror and action were a bit different, but mostly familiar than the earlier Alien installations.
it was ok. not up to my expectations compared to the 1-3 parts
September 19, 2017
I am so bored with this franchise. I love the original "Alien," I liked "Aliens," and I can forgive a lot of the flaws of "Alien 3." But after that it just feels like a constant retread of ideas, never feeling fresh or new. I felt "Prometheus" was flawed, but I liked that it felt like it had some ideas...even if they were all muddled in the end. This film sort of expands on those ideas, but not really enough, and then it is just a generic Alien movie. And it was tedious to sit through. I liked some of the David stuff, but it wasn't enough to get me through the dull action and scares, and it still didn't feel like it had a solid enough philosophical statement to warrant a 2 hour movie. The franchise needs to end...it has just become too boring to bother with for me.
September 19, 2017
i am in the very small number of people who liked this and Prometheus much better than all the other alien movies. I tried to like the first alien. I watched that movie 3 times...I just don't get the hype..it doesn't even hold my attention..the one with newt..sucked so bad..and i love bill paxton and i thought that part he played was awful..i liked the 3rd one better than the second one...idk...i think i am going to watch the first one more time...
September 19, 2017
An amazing chapter of the Alien universe. Reading through comments I realize alot of people missed details about the movie and alot of its deep connection to Promethius. Recommendation for anyone walking away from this movie confused or with questions should research "Alien Covenant Actually Explained (With Real Answers) on youtube. There was alot going on through out the course of the movie so there we're plenty of plot holes filled through back ground details and glimpses of conversations taken out of context. For anyone into the alien franchise this is a must see. With plenty to discover through each viewing and should be in everyones collection. Keep up the good work Mr. Scott I'm eagerly awaiting Awakening.
September 19, 2017
As I sit here with the original Alien: Directors Cut, on pause, I can only marvel at the connections we feel to the crew, compared to the profoundly vanilla characters who are summarily dispatched in Alien: Covenant. Without Noomi Rapace -- who inhabited a character many DID care about -- this vehicle at least offers more Fassbander and a beautiful alien planet tableau. But it's not quite enough, is it?
September 19, 2017
The more I want to know about the Alien mythology, the more I'm dissappointed by Scott's prequels, But it sure looks gorgeous...and deeper than it might seem.
Review:
Were is Ripley when you need her! I really couldn't get into this movie, because the director didn't spend any time for the audience to get to know the various characters, and the pace of the movie was quite slow. I also found the characters quite annoying and completely useless, especially the lady that wouldn't open the door when the first alien appeared, and the ending was predictable and quite disappointing! Anyway the film follows yet another crew in space, which crashes on course right at the beginning of the movie. With the captain dead, Oram (Billy Crudup) takes over the ship, and when they hear a mysterious transmission over the airwaves, they decide to go and explore were the sound is coming from. Whilst exploring the weird planet, in the middle of nowhere, a couple of the crew die in a mysterious way, and the crew are under attack by aliens. Walter (Michael Fassbender) is a robot who tries to help the crew on there mission, and when they get attacked by the Aliens, another robot, David (Michael Fassbender), saves them and takes them to safety. Walter soon realises that David's morals are not sincere, and while the rest of the crew are under attack, the mother-ship is fighting to rescue them. There was a sense of intensity towards the end but by that time, I wasn't that interested. The main character, Daniels (Katherine Waterston), was no way near in the same class as Ripley but Michael Fassbender played his roll well. With all of the technology in this day and age, the whole look and feel of the film was pretty average, and no one seemed that shocked that there was aliens running around killing them. Anyway, I wasn't that impressed with this latest instalment to a great franchise, and I hope that Ridley Scott goes back to the drawing board for the next one, which is due out in 2019. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
Although I gave this movie the thumbs down, it still made a hell of a profit at the box office, mainly because of the reputation of the original, so the studio must be happy with the outcome. Ridley Scott, 79, directed his fist movie, The Duellists, in 1977 and then he made the first Alien movie in 1979. In 1982 he directed, the all time classic, Blade Runner, and then he came out with a string of hits, which include Legend, Black Rain, Thelma & Louise, Gladiator and Black Hawk Down. He then had a string of disappointing movies, which include Kingdom of Heaven, Body Of Lies, Robin Hood and the Counsellor but when he returned to the Alien franchise with Prometheus, everyone couldn't wait for it's release. With Exodus: God's and Kings and the Martian being box office successes, Ridley Scott is definitely one of the big players in Hollywood today, and with his "no mess" attitude, I'm sure we haven't heard the last of him yet. I just hope that the next Alien movie is more enjoyable.

Budget: $97million
Worldwide Gross: $236.2million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their horror/sci-fi/thrillers, starring Michael Fassbender, Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup, Danny McBride, Demian Bichir, Carmen Ejogo and Callie Hernandez. 4/10
September 19, 2017
Still won't be as good as the original alien but did make me think. And answered a few questions but made a whole lot more
½ September 18, 2017
Wasn't a fan of the first Alien prequel and this was even worse. It starts off with a bunch of philosophical boring BS, then precedes to basically become a Prometheus retread and then finishes things off with a very unsurprising twist at the end. Blegh, what a waste.
September 18, 2017
How is it possible that the sequel to Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" could wind up being an even more debated, divisive, and controversial entry in the inherently unpredictable "Alien" franchise? "Alien: Covenant" is that film, doubling as a true sequel to the cerebral "Prometheus" and the close quarters action-terror of "Alien." But wait, this is Ridley Scott we are dealing with here! If you thought this was going to be a retread or the sequel you expected... guess again. I found just about all of it exciting, well made, and (as a huge Alien fan) a welcome bridge to the past. No, it's not in the same league as either Scott's or Cameron's original two films, and I do think "Prometheus" is superior, but "Alien:Covenant" is exactly the left field "anti-fan service" that any long-running franchise should welcome. It's not flawless, but it worked for me. Like it's precursor it's destined to be discussed and dissected for years to come. Pick a side.
½ September 18, 2017
Only slightly better than Prometheus. Still the same problems. But that last 30 minutes was worth the wait. Too bad the whole thing is predictable and contrived. Go watch the original Alien then Aliens the director's cut and wash the taste of this movie out of your mouth. Was that a wasted cameo from James Franco?? Why?