Almost Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Almost Christmas Reviews

April 4, 2017
loved this movie a must see gather the family and watch.
½ April 3, 2017
Great cast, all star cast, but not so interesting storyline, siblings/family at Christmas, coming together & not getting along.....a little cliche, it felt like a not so good come back for Monique. Even the soundtrack was weak. You really don't need that many heavy-hitters to make a good movie.
April 2, 2017
This was a nice attempt at a nice, heartfelt Christmas movie but it was a little too depressing for me. Too many dark moments and not enough positive family moments.
½ April 2, 2017
David E. Talbert, the writer-director of Almost Christmas, has assembled a gifted cast and given them a chance to stretch out and play with their roles. He has made a heartwarming gripe-and-grouchfest that pushes a lot of buttons, though with a vivacity that's exuberantly funny and sincere. Aunt May is such a delectable force that the audience waits with baited breath to see if she'll do what we'd expect from an auntie. And she always does; her consistency is the warmest form of comfort. You've seen most of this before, but that's pretty much the point: The familiarity of the setup means the actors can just knuckle down and do their thing, and their energy keeps the movie rolling at a clip. The movie takes a few calamitous turns at its climax, dangerously approaching broad slapstick and villainizing a character we've come to love. But mainly, it's a fun and boisterous countdown to the big meal. The effort of decorating and cooking doesn't guarantee that Christmas will ever be as rewarding as it should be. We're related to people whether we like them or not. That may be why even something as programmed as Almost Christmas seems likably authentic. The committed performances by the cast of talented actors are what elevates Almost Christmas above complaints about its familiarity and melodrama.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
April 1, 2017
This was pretty funny!
½ March 27, 2017
Ok xmas film... I guess different to other xmas films but still enjoyable with the family
½ March 25, 2017
The comedy is excruciating and the drama is barely explored in an effective manner. D
March 24, 2017
Loved this movie. Great family fun! So many amazingly talented people on the cast. I could sincerely connect to the emotions this movie was giving off about not getting along with loved ones. Also it portrays the challenges of family life so well!
March 20, 2017
another dysfunctional family trying to get together for the Christmas holidays and coming to grip with the passing of the mother 10 months earlier. there is laughter. cry. drama. and well the shotgun is called Grandma if that gives you any ideas. but overall it was a good movie. good storyline. and good actors
March 14, 2017
Reminds me of my family. Very relatable
March 11, 2017
Loved this movie!! Characters were real!
March 10, 2017
As cliche as it gets. The movie was extreme ass
½ March 8, 2017
too much drama for reality. wasn't so bad though. they just tried to do too much drama.
March 3, 2017
While there was some funny parts to this movie, the ending was typically predictable. Also not sure why an all African American cast need to pigeon hole themselves with these type of movies. I think in this day and age it's unnecessary. Also Danny Glover, you are better than this movie showcased.
February 19, 2017
It was entertaining, but really nothing special. It doesn't warrant a second viewing.
February 17, 2017
It's a good movie, but could of been better. mo sucks as her acting is not funny, she's just a dumb bitch, a niggas that she wanted.
February 14, 2017
Hilarious warm hearted Christmas movie with lots of heart and tons of laughter would buy for sure
February 12, 2017
loved it.
too my 9 and 10 year old to see it. they were bored, but i loved it. bravo for talbert.
February 12, 2017
We wanted to see it in the theater because of the hysterical preview but didn't get to. After watching it at home, we saw a different movie than we thought and it was just as good as the one we hoped! More sentimental than funny. Very very good! Monique steals the comedy scenes with the best lines and outtakes.

Gabrielle Union is the lead and is terrific. Great cast, great snow day movie.
February 9, 2017
everyone should have this movie and watch it every xmas. it's is real gooooood!