Always Be My Maybe Reviews

• 5d ago

I don't say this often, but this was a cute movie. It is incredibly predictable and I think it wraps up just a bit too quickly, but for the most part a solid romantic comedy. The movie follows two close friends Sasha (Ali Wong) and Marcus (Randall Park) who after years of being best friends hook up one night in 2003. It's incredibly awkward and Marcus doesn't know how to handle it to well and scares off Sasha. 16 years later it's 2019 and Sasha is a successful chef opening up a new restaurant in San Francisco and Marcus is working with his dad Harry (James Saito) doing air condition and heating repair and install. When Sasha's friend and assistant Veronica (MIchelle Buteau) hires Harry and Marcus to install the AC at the house that Sasha is renting while she stays in San Francisco it's incredibly awkward. Marcus really hasn't done much with his life. He has a band he's been in for 16 years, but he's scared of branching out and taking a chance. Sounds like the perfect ingredients for a romantic comedy right? I won't say anymore, but I will say don't watch any trailers for this one in case you haven't yet there's a pretty cool cameo in the movie that was a real excellent choice. The film for the most part works well. The two leads are quite funny and have some good chemistry with each other. I enjoyed the story and I really liked that the movie takes place in San Francisco and the Bay Area for most of it. The film itself though falls flat for me near the last third because it just rushes the story and I would have liked some better gradual character development. For the most part though it's a good movie that I enjoyed!

• Mar 29, 2020

Kudos to Wong and Park for writing and starring in a refreshing take on a common childhood re-connection romance. The addition of Reeves was better than I expected.

• Mar 27, 2020

Not everyday you watch a good rom-com. Obviously it was predictable but it was fun not funny but lovable. I liked the cast except Ali Wong's extreme tininess.

• Mar 22, 2020

A get-together, break-up, and get-back-together type romcom film. Always Be My Maybe is lighthearted, funny, and genuine. Everyone has genuine chemistry that is noticeable beyond the film. The only thing that broke my suspension of belief is the fact that Marcus is still able to somehow survive San Francisco living costs with only a HS diploma. Like...how? Did love that extra Asian-American representation though. And that ending is 10/10 beautiful. (And if y'all haven't noticed from everyone else's reviews, there is a surprise cameo that basically steals the show.) 3/5. Fun, lighthearted romcom to watch during a rainy Friday night. Don't expect a deep script or too many underlying symbolism. Turn your brain off and enjoy the show.

• Mar 19, 2020

The Keanu bits are great, the rest is also decent

The Keanu bits are great, the rest is also decent

• Mar 01, 2020

Extremely charming film. Both funny and touching at the same time.

Extremely charming film. Both funny and touching at the same time.

• Feb 17, 2020

This movie certainly takes the rom-com genre somewhere new. Great feel good film, great concept, great cast.

• Feb 10, 2020

Why did I love this movie so much? I got that it wasn't flashy, but it wasn't bad either. It had acting and comedy chops without being crass or obvious. It was solid and told a story with people of colour without resorting to making it a message-movie. Hamilton-syndrome maybe; representative without being about representation. Yes, it felt like good TV and not great movie, with its Netflix standard crispness, but it knows its audience. I very much liked this sort of effortlessly pleasing romcom with real chemistry and no pretensions.

• Jan 30, 2020

A true rom com. Very funny and very romantic. Just an all round great movie. Kind of reminds me of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" with its theme of strong family ties and emphasis on the importance of cultural bonds. Two thumbs way up. Also, love the soundtrack and Keanu.

• Jan 27, 2020

Very cute. I have watched it 4 times already. The characters flowed nicely. I genuinely love this movie.