Amélie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amélie Reviews

October 7, 2017
Amélie contributes to the world of love stories, a desperate wad of quirkiness that is both fresh and vulnerable at the same time.
September 5, 2017
If you can let go of skepticism and let Amelie sweep you along, she can renew your belief in love, kindness, and that you can flourish in a world where you don't fit in.
½ September 2, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Estética visual imponente y remarcable dirección. Una historia divertida, filosófica e intensa, con peculiares personajes, que convierten a Amélie una entrañable película.
August 18, 2017
This movie always brings me joy. I love it.
August 7, 2017
One of my favorite movies! I admit some people might find it disturbing but I think this is why this movie is so interesting and original!
August 1, 2017
Incredible movie. Unique story and great effects. Beautifully crafted.
July 17, 2017
The most beautiful and original love story I've seen so far. The characters are brilliant and the production design and cinematography wonderful. If you believe in love, you should definitely watch this movie.
July 10, 2017
My favorite movie of all time!!! I love the quirkiness and the beauty! The characters were all wonderful.
½ June 28, 2017
The waggish flick captivates its viewers at the beginning with its distinct cinematography. After some time the quaint "Amelie" grows tedious which purportedly makes the audience laugh makes a laugh out of them.
May 30, 2017
Another movie I consider under my "comfort food" category, there is absolutely nothing about this movie that I don't like. The acting, the music, the pacing, the editing, the colors, the story, all of it is just absolutely beautiful, blissfully calming, and manages to be charming and sweet without ever drifting into saccharine or over-the-top quirky territory. Which is kind of an amusing description to apply to a movie when one remembers that it includes sex in a public washroom (absolutely hilarious scene), nude dancing, and statistics on orgasms featuring several couples in the moment of mid-coital-climax.
May 28, 2017
A really great romantic comedy. Full of fun and really artistically filmed.
May 27, 2017
It may not be the best film ever made, but it will always be my favourite movie ever
April 27, 2017
Grade - B+
This charming movie from Jean-Pierre Jeunet (the director of Alien Resurrection?!) may suffer from uneven pacing, but thanks to sumptuous direction/cinematography and a great lead performance by Audrey Tautou, 'Amelie' is a frenetic, heartfelt success.
½ April 16, 2017
Past the nauseating cinematography that dates Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work more than he probably intended, he has an alluring weirdness that keeps me searching for content. The best content is in the weirdness itself, like the character introductions that inform us of their biggest likes and dislikes, or the mini-quests Amelie (Audrey Tautou) takes on to bring happiness to others -- identifying a man who frequently takes photos at booths around the city, finding the lost letters of a long lost love, shaping intent in the look of someone in a Renoir painting. Describing much of what literally happens is more delightful now than how I initially swallowed it, during the showing.

What I may not ever agree with is the character Amelie. Jean-Pierre Jeunet ultimately portrays her as a simple-minded young woman with creative spark in toying around with people, but lacking the vulnerability to reveal herself as the good doer. Overtime, she lacks fulfillment under the guise of a nobody, and, expressed through televised dream sequences, fears a short life of no one else appreciating what she has done in her life. These moments do not merely normalize her, but they humanize her. I had to clarify that because Jeunet's fears of normality sacrifice heart, which I had hoped this film would have an abundance of. Amelie's superiority complex is subtly deconstructed as she discovers love, but what is left standing strong is a lust for karma. Sometimes, it's as if she does not actually care how her human subjects respond to her deeds, especially her more vengeful acts. On top of that, I never quite understood her agenda. Do good for the world, piece by piece? Find love in some random guy with a neat photo album? Simply be? Reading from critics that this is Jeunet's most focused film, I'll accept the unwieldy attitude of Amelie, and hope I like it better overtime.
April 16, 2017
The best movie of all time.
April 11, 2017
"Your bones aren't made of glass, you can take life's knocks." -Dufayel
½ April 4, 2017
A shame ! The 18th arrondissement cleared of its minorities to leave the place to France as the FN wants it: that small white bourgeois gnangnan. The only Arab is called Lucien! The success of this film shows well the racism of Rotten Tomatoes. As by some years later, Le Pen Is near presidential victory . Jeunet should hang his head in shame and certainly carries a part of the responsibility for the rebirth of racism in Europe and America . Zero stars, pass by this film and never look at it.
Isaac
March 29, 2017
Sweet, visually distinctive, and showcasing a highly memorable protagonist, though overlong and lacking in substance.
March 19, 2017
An indescribable feeling of relief and joy, very beautiful movie.
March 15, 2017
Charming, quirky, French, romantic comedy. Drags on a bit long, but entertaining.