Amélie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amélie Reviews

½ May 18, 2018
I think it is impossible to resist this French film's charm and genuine sweetness. I walked away from this movie with a warm feeling in my heart and a smile on my face. The story itself feels a bit overly complex and sometimes moves almost too quickly but it does its job well. The main character is just so likable that she becomes easy to root for. It's a feel-good movie in the purest sense and is handled with great creativity.
April 19, 2018
Great film. One of the best French films I've watched. So likeable as we can all relate even just a bit to Amelie.
April 11, 2018
After watching ten minutes of this movie, I could not bear it and went out of the cinema.
April 1, 2018
Magical and sweet, it works so well because it is, essentially, a meditation on life, the inherent problems that come with being human and the affect they have had on those around the titular character (played wonderfully by Tautou who perfectly captures the required combination of innocence, fragility and a bit of mischievousness); but more than that -- most importantly, in fact -- it's about how a young woman sets out to fix the problems of others as a way of ignoring the fact that she is the most damaged of them all. There's probably a sentiment in there somewhere that most people can relate to, in some way. It's a beautifully filmed, wonderful and whimsical story that has a real feel-good factor, as well as being full of interesting characters and dialogue. What's not to like?
March 31, 2018
I have some pretty mixed feelings on Amelie, but overall I lean towards liking it. It reminded me of Juno in a lot of ways, with its almost aggressively quirky tone. But whereas Juno I was mixed on to begin with and grew to hate, I can see Amelie potentially going the other direction. The main difference being that the film is so bizarre, has such a kinetic energy, and exists in such a fanciful version of France it never seems to be trying to present itself as the real world. The emotions are real, but the events and scenes are highly exaggerated, so it kind of works. I had some serious problems with the character of Amelie, who seemed so wrapped up in her own world and her weird mind games to the point she comes off as selfish to the point of cruelty. I know we're supposed to see her grow, and she does, but the journey to get there was a little obnoxious. Most of the other characters, while all have that aggressive quirkiness, are still mostly charming and likable. Overall the film creates such a unique vision with its bright and perfect looking vision of France and fanciful energy. It does meander, and its lead isn't as likable as the film seems to want her to be, but the movie still has a distinct enough charm for it to work. I'm not sure how this film will age for me, it could go either way, but for now I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
March 6, 2018
It's silly and it makes me mad. I just hate it!
February 24, 2018
Actions speak louder than words and a man who knows proverbs cannot be all bad. This is a happy, beautiful and uplifting film about one woman who makes life better through thoughtful and intricate actions. It also reminds us that life's beauties are often the most simplest things and it is worth it to appreciate them. It's a shame travelocity stole the gnome idea. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 8, 2018
Interesting, a little weird, full of life. I've heard of good and bad about this movie, but I really love its presentation of a pure heart.
January 29, 2018
Still one of the most beautiful and heartwarming and pure films I've ever seen.
January 17, 2018
I have my personal war going on with french movies.... but it's bloody difficult not to like this one. Lovely work with an amazing OST.
January 16, 2018
It was an ok film, I lost interest about half way and didn't really understand what was happening. Don't know how it was voted in Empires top 100 films ever?just not my sort of thing
January 6, 2018
I guess this is just a movie that isn't my cup of tea. French, artsy, silly, and massively overhyped, in my opinion.
½ January 5, 2018
Charming and has quite a few moments of great humor.
December 28, 2017
Great piece of art! So many emotions
½ December 23, 2017
M-F

8.4

[Jean-Pierre Jeunet]
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Estética visual imponente y remarcable dirección. Una historia divertida, filosófica e intensa, con peculiares personajes, que convierten a Amélie una entrañable película.
December 8, 2017
Beautifully filmed, inspiring and novel piece of French cinema. The humor doesn't always work tho, and while it remains cute, the rest of the characters are largely one-dimensional.
"Amélie Poulain: She doesn't relate to other people. She was always a lonely child."
December 5, 2017
An incredibly fun and moving masterpiece.
December 1, 2017
Definitely among the finest foreign films of modern time.
November 13, 2017
One of my favourite movies, I could watch it on repeat. The story is well paced, the director does an amazing job executing the film, wonderful music. This movie is unique and strange but at the same time it's your typical rom-com movie. If you haven't watched it you definitely should.