Amélie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amélie Reviews

½ April 16, 2017
Past the nauseating cinematography that dates Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work more than he probably intended, he has an alluring weirdness that keeps me searching for content. The best content is in the weirdness itself, like the character introductions that inform us of their biggest likes and dislikes, or the mini-quests Amelie (Audrey Tautou) takes on to bring happiness to others -- identifying a man who frequently takes photos at booths around the city, finding the lost letters of a long lost love, shaping intent in the look of someone in a Renoir painting. Describing much of what literally happens is more delightful now than how I initially swallowed it, during the showing.

What I may not ever agree with is the character Amelie. Jean-Pierre Jeunet ultimately portrays her as a simple-minded young woman with creative spark in toying around with people, but lacking the vulnerability to reveal herself as the good doer. Overtime, she lacks fulfillment under the guise of a nobody, and, expressed through televised dream sequences, fears a short life of no one else appreciating what she has done in her life. These moments do not merely normalize her, but they humanize her. I had to clarify that because Jeunet's fears of normality sacrifice heart, which I had hoped this film would have an abundance of. Amelie's superiority complex is subtly deconstructed as she discovers love, but what is left standing strong is a lust for karma. Sometimes, it's as if she does not actually care how her human subjects respond to her deeds, especially her more vengeful acts. On top of that, I never quite understood her agenda. Do good for the world, piece by piece? Find love in some random guy with a neat photo album? Simply be? Reading from critics that this is Jeunet's most focused film, I'll accept the unwieldy attitude of Amelie, and hope I like it better overtime.
April 16, 2017
The best movie of all time.
April 11, 2017
"Your bones aren't made of glass, you can take life's knocks." -Dufayel
½ April 4, 2017
A shame ! The 18th arrondissement cleared of its minorities to leave the place to France as the FN wants it: that small white bourgeois gnangnan. The only Arab is called Lucien! The success of this film shows well the racism of Rotten Tomatoes. As by some years later, Le Pen Is near presidential victory . Jeunet should hang his head in shame and certainly carries a part of the responsibility for the rebirth of racism in Europe and America . Zero stars, pass by this film and never look at it.
Isaac
March 29, 2017
Sweet, visually distinctive, and showcasing a highly memorable protagonist, though overlong and lacking in substance.
March 19, 2017
An indescribable feeling of relief and joy, very beautiful movie.
March 15, 2017
Charming, quirky, French, romantic comedy. Drags on a bit long, but entertaining.
March 6, 2017
Very nice cinematography and great soundtrack to it too.
½ February 22, 2017
Beautiful cinematography, strong characters and a charming performance from Audrey Tautou.
February 11, 2017
my favorite french movie!
½ February 11, 2017
Amélie is a feel good movie. After watching you want to go around helping everyone you can. The directing and acting are all really good in this movie. The score is amazing and just puts you in France. A really solid movie.
February 7, 2017
Quirky French romantic comedy at its best. Amélie (Tautou) is a shy waitress who works at a Montmartre café. After returning a long-lost childhood treasure to a former occupant of her apartment, and seeing the effect it has on him, she decides to set out on a mission to make others happy and in the meantime pursues a quirky guy who collects discarded photo booth pictures.
½ February 5, 2017
A bizarre French film with subtitles. I didn't find the characters to be likable, and it was surprisingly perverted. The whole thing was really annoying. (First and only viewing - 5/28/2013)
½ February 3, 2017
Wish the tone kept up the pace from the beginning. Liked the universe and characters, but I wasn't so interested in the plot.
January 25, 2017
One of my favourite films ever. All the times it happened to watch it I always found something I didn't remember or noticed. And if you ask me why I like it so much I really can't tell. Maybe because in the end is just a modern tale.
½ January 18, 2017
Overall Rating 7.7/10
January 13, 2017
Oijoi, tää elokuva jaksaa aina vaan viehättää!! <3
½ January 5, 2017
Super cute, and French Chic. Audrey Tautou is super charming
½ January 2, 2017
Un chef d'oeuvre visuel. Un des plus extraordinaires « feel good movie » à avoir été filmé. C'est chaque fois un délice. Puis la musique de Thiersen... Wow!
January 1, 2017
Amelie may very well be the most feel good movie of all time.