Amélie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amélie Reviews

July 28, 2016
It was surprisingly charming and weird (but a good weird) in a Wes Anderson kind of way.
July 22, 2016
Amélie is a film full of charm, quick wit, offbeat humour and likably eccentric characters. The story of a girl confined by her insecurities and instead living mostly through her fruitful imagination was not at all what I was expecting, and in the best of ways. Its constant bubbliness was occasionally detrimental, as the dramatic payoff was undermined by the films perpetual avoidance of reality. The romance, which becomes its focal point during the third act, isn't very interesting or involving, and it often feels like the movie could do with wrapping up before it completely runs out of steam. But I was made to smile often and laugh frequently, especially at the randomness of the jokes and the deliberately caricaturish individuals. It's definitely worth seeing, probably more than once, as the colourful and lively scenes are richly layered and beautiful to look at, and Audrey Tautou is perfect in the lead role. Watch if you ever have the chance.
July 22, 2016
A French Wes Anderson movie?
July 19, 2016
As charming as all of your annoying film friends insist that it is.
½ July 7, 2016
Gorgeous, unique, and, most of all, quirky, "Amelie" is that rare film that makes us appreciate life all around us. It's simple premise and wonderful protagonist played by the talented Audrey Tautou keeps us invested and smiling thanks to a well-written script, a detailed direction by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and one of kind cinematography delivered by Bruno Delbonnel. It's romantic, funny, and relatable. Definitely a good film to watch with a love one.
June 9, 2016
From its storyline, to cinematography, to the cast, to the soundtrack, this film has a bizarre yet unique character. Amelie is very charming. It's not your typical romance story and I enjoyed every moment of it.
½ June 4, 2016
Amélie's unique visual style, great sound design, intelligent screenplay, and outstanding lead performance by Audrey Tautou make it an absolute delight. While so many twenty first century films tend to be more pessimistic, it is incredibly refreshing to see a film that believes in the inherent goodness of people, and the benefits of being kind to other people. It feels a tad bit repetitive and long, but it's difficult to complain when so much of the film is such a delight. Overall, this is one to add to the watchlist.
May 31, 2016
Extremely funny and well made movie that's hard to place in a category. However, it lost much of its momentum after the first thirty minutes.
May 24, 2016
One of my absolute favourite films of all-time. A beautifully-shot and delightful romantic comedy brought to life by the charming performance of Audrey Tautou.
½ May 21, 2016
I gave up after 30 minutes in. What is so interesting about this movie? Huge disappointment for me as I was looking forward to watch this after I finished watching 'Priceless'
May 2, 2016
Charming, beautiful, funny, sad, amazing. One of my all-time favorite films.
April 25, 2016
This is a great film!When it first came out it was like one of the biggest succes in France & around the world at that time!Once again Jeunet takes us on a journey in a dreamy Paris along a young girl living adventures and looking at life in a total different way! A magnificent film filled with positivity, optimism and an amazing outlook on life. A must see!
April 19, 2016
The beauty of uniqueness. Noticing things others do not and being interested in things others are not makes the lead character "weird" in the most desirable way. The writing and directing take the story deep into the viewers' souls. I wish Amelie was somehow recorded in English, Mandarin, Punjab, etc. but kept the same uniqueness that was shown off so well in French. I wanted to move to France and find a shy, witty, thoughtful barista. At least I have a copy of the DVD to watch whenever I wanted.
½ April 16, 2016
Beautifully shot and well acted, the quirky film might lose a viewer or two based on it's meandering, flimsy plot.
½ April 5, 2016
It was very very hipster and has some stereotypical "french vibes" but it was a fun foreign language french film. very artistic.
March 13, 2016
This will draw you in, with a great mixture of emotion.
½ March 8, 2016
Watched this in grade 11 French class !
½ February 26, 2016
Wonderful. Whimsical, magical, and the right amount of quirky.
February 13, 2016
Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a master of whimsical quirk and Amélie might be his ultimate achievement. It's a kind of neo-fairytale or modern storybook romance, heightened to such with its narration and its wonderful score by Yann Tiersen, simple and melodic, like a small band playing in a café on a sunny afternoon. It delves more than slightly into fantasy, as romance often does, but does so in a very refreshing and fun way. This is a world where gnomes travel and skeletons are somewhat sensual. At the same time, this is just the magic that can and does happen everyday.

Audrey Tautou is impressingly adorable as title character Amélie Poulain, a young woman with the power and imagination to change the lives of just about everyone she comes into contact with. She lives in the moment, enjoying the ways she can bring smiles to the faces of her friends and right the wrongs that she witnesses. She's quiet and seemingly meek, but speaks volumes with her mischievous smile and loving eyes. She finds exciting adventure in what could be the most mundane situations, not taking any little thing for granted.

The film is stuffed with intertwining stories small and large that Amélie drives along, and they are each as important as the next, no matter how much or how little the movie dwells on them. What truly brings happiness? Does the truth really matter if we never know it, when it's what we personally experience that moves us along, for better or for worse. How important is the smallest exchange we may have with a stranger? Sometimes you don't even realize just how much of an effect you have, because you're not seeing the situation from their eyes. But it's all important. The details are all meaningful.

Visually, the film is mostly warm and lush with yellows and reds that pop like blood coursing through the heart. This is contrasted with an undertone of very vibrant greens and cool blues that create a fantastic atmosphere and make everything feel like an organic, natural setting. The color theory here is actually quite amazing, making the film special and nostalgic right from the beginning. It has a lightness, but is still emotional and will leave you with the inspirations of a hopeless romantic. It warms your heart, becoming overwhelming without being overbearing.

Amélie is indeed pure romance. This is the romance of life and it's intricacies, even in it's darkest moments. The film allows you to enjoy even the smallest things that might usually be overlooked and gives importance to the playful particulars of life like the joy of peeling large strips of wallpaper or skipping the best stones along a canal. It shows how one small thing may unfold a series of events that can help you conquer your fears or lead you to where you need to be in life. It shows the perfect, imaginary life we live in our heads and how close to the real world it could actually be. And, of course, it shows true love, as easy or as hard as it might be to find, and just how close it might come to slipping right through your fingers if you're not looking at it from the right angle.