Amélie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amélie Reviews

October 25, 2016
Bizarre, funny, with a bit of heart. It seems if you asked a normal person what a foreign film, especially a French one, looked and felt like, they would describe this movie. It has so many quirky little touches that make it good, but it can be distractive and a bit weird for many film goers. Definitely worth the watch, especially if you are fan of someone like Wes Anderson, but could be a bit too bizarre for a percent of the film going audience.
½ October 25, 2016
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. The plot lacks structure and never goes anywhere, and the characters aren't likeable. Some parts of it make no sense either! The way it's filmed and edited just didn't work for me either. Truly atrocious, sad is rated so
highly for being kinda artsy
September 27, 2016
It was surprisingly charming and weird (but a good weird) in a Wes Anderson kind of way.
September 18, 2016
'Amelie' will unveil the biggest charm in you.
½ September 15, 2016
Amelie is a sweet and charming film that may be a little too cutesy and serendipitous at times, but a memorable and well-crafted film that deserves it accolades and not it's R rating.
September 11, 2016
Finally after quite some time I have finally watched Amelie. A very quirky film about a young lady named Amelie (Audrey Tautou) who is a bit lonely. She has a very big imagination, but she ultimately fears expressing herself too much. After discovering a box of hidden toys in her bathroom she goes on a mission which eventually leads to her interacting with several different people and her deciding upon herself to "fix" peoples issues. From having two restaurant regulars fall in love, to helping a young man get respect from his boss Amelie has all the tools to help and do some more. She eventually runs into a young man named Nino (Mathieu Kassovitz) who much like her is a loner and longing for a bit more. Will Amelie get past her own insecurities and realize that perhaps Nino is the match she's been waiting for? The movie is shot very well and I enjoyed the acting. It has a nice story to it all and there are a lot of great moments that show Amelie's overactive imagination. It's a very well done film and I recommend giving it a look i you've never checked it out!
½ September 7, 2016
Amelie is a break through french movie, talking about a waitress with screw up life is trying to find her love. The movie has innovative way of filming. Screens combines motions and steal. Audio is also outstanding. Audio can totally percent this girl's imaginary world. Finally, Amelie use her kindness to win her love of the life, help her father to get out of the house, help old painter and cafe shop owner to move on to their future life.
September 6, 2016
it is magical , enjoyable , mesmerising . I love it
September 5, 2016
A funny story about a quirky, endearing woman.
August 30, 2016
A striking visual experience with a funny, charming story and crazy direction, Amelie is a fine classic in French cinema that should be seen by all.
August 25, 2016
There seems to be a pretty large backlash against this film, especially among critics and film fans. I don't share the sentiment, but I get it. This film tries very very very hard to be a happy, crowd-pleasing film, and I think it's seams show. The effort being exerted is palpable. I don't think general audiences see this, so they LOVED this film, and there's a natural tendency to react to that with skepticism when you can see what the film is doing. I often react that way. In this case, I didn't. The film is like a happiness machine, and it generally works for me. I don't LOVE it, but I like it ... quite a bit actually.
½ August 23, 2016
Most of the movie made NO sense! Complete nonsense. I did however, like the scenes at the bar and the old painter. The rest of the movie was way too out of out if it for me.
½ August 20, 2016
Otras de las fantásticas obras dentro del especial realismo mágico de Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Una película que va más allá de ser una simple experiencia "feel good" y que está repleta de capas y lecturas que se pueden ir descubriendo con cada visionado.

Pero no solo eso, sino que su envoltorio visual y musical es tan original, perfecto y acorde con la película, que realmente es complicado encontrarle alguna pega.

Una película fantástica y punto.
July 22, 2016
Amélie is a film full of charm, quick wit, offbeat humour and likably eccentric characters. The story of a girl confined by her insecurities and instead living mostly through her fruitful imagination was not at all what I was expecting, and in the best of ways. Its constant bubbliness was occasionally detrimental, as the dramatic payoff was undermined by the films perpetual avoidance of reality. The romance, which becomes its focal point during the third act, isn't very interesting or involving, and it often feels like the movie could do with wrapping up before it completely runs out of steam. But I was made to smile often and laugh frequently, especially at the randomness of the jokes and the deliberately caricaturish individuals. It's definitely worth seeing, probably more than once, as the colourful and lively scenes are richly layered and beautiful to look at, and Audrey Tautou is perfect in the lead role. Watch if you ever have the chance.
July 22, 2016
A French Wes Anderson movie?
July 19, 2016
As charming as all of your annoying film friends insist that it is.
½ July 7, 2016
Gorgeous, unique, and, most of all, quirky, "Amelie" is that rare film that makes us appreciate life all around us. It's simple premise and wonderful protagonist played by the talented Audrey Tautou keeps us invested and smiling thanks to a well-written script, a detailed direction by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and one of kind cinematography delivered by Bruno Delbonnel. It's romantic, funny, and relatable. Definitely a good film to watch with a love one.
June 9, 2016
From its storyline, to cinematography, to the cast, to the soundtrack, this film has a bizarre yet unique character. Amelie is very charming. It's not your typical romance story and I enjoyed every moment of it.
½ June 4, 2016
Amélie's unique visual style, great sound design, intelligent screenplay, and outstanding lead performance by Audrey Tautou make it an absolute delight. While so many twenty first century films tend to be more pessimistic, it is incredibly refreshing to see a film that believes in the inherent goodness of people, and the benefits of being kind to other people. It feels a tad bit repetitive and long, but it's difficult to complain when so much of the film is such a delight. Overall, this is one to add to the watchlist.
May 31, 2016
Extremely funny and well made movie that's hard to place in a category. However, it lost much of its momentum after the first thirty minutes.