American Buffalo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Buffalo Reviews

½ April 21, 2017
CAST OF THREE. Very underrated. Gritty, high-tension boiler room pot-boiler by David Mamet. Superb characterization and acting by Dennis Franz and Dustin Hoffman.

There's a reason these highly gifted actors picked this project at the height of their powers.

It provides keen insight into the criminal mind. Feels like a play. Watch a couple derelicts plan a revenge burglary for an imagined wrong. Everyone should watch this as an example of fine acting, superb characterization, and containment. ***This will teach you how to write relevant, effective dialogue in a completely dialogue-driven film.*** Despite being unpleasant, this is a must-see. Mostly one location. Ignore the low audience scores from the cretins. 74/45. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. ****1/2/*****
½ July 6, 2014
This flop is about 2 dirtbags (Donny & Teach) "talking" about stealing a coin that Donny the shop dealer SOLD to a guy that he later realized was worth more money. I don't empathize with any of the characters & it's basically an hour & 45 minutes of pure bunk that didn't ever deserve to be recorded & classified as a movie. Low-wit & poor performances from so-called cast members. Detestable!
½ April 16, 2014
A very good movie interpretation of the play it's based on. Three guys plan to steal a buffalo nickel, but are too wrapped up in their repressed, anti-social musings to the point where they slowly turn on each other and even as far as to accuse an innocent teen of being the reason for botching the job. The ending was a bit of a punch in the gut, but it finally got Teach and Don to shut the hell up! Still a very good movie though with great performances from the three lead actors: Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Franz and Sean Nelson.
January 1, 2014
The film did not always hold my attention, and I sometimes struggled to follow it, but it certainly contains Mamet's usual genius. The film deserves high marks for its language, detail, and truth in interpersonal relations. Don't watch it if you want something easy to appreciate when you are tired or distracted, but if you sit down and pay full attention to it, you will reap the rewards.
September 11, 2013
Gripping drama, american Beckett
½ May 11, 2013
Well acted. However, you keep waiting for this movie to get somewhere. And it never goes anywhere. (Literally and figuratively)
December 29, 2012
Not so much a movie as a play put to film; which can be enjoyable if only action stayed consistent. The performances of Hoffman and Franz greatly elevate this film.
August 23, 2012
David Mamet's play has a weak plot, but Dustin Hoffman gives a award worthy performance as teach, truly embodying the broken American man.
November 18, 2011
I've tried to watch this tedious uneventful movie three times and I've given up every time.
August 18, 2011
"This is nothing but poison, I don')t want to hear it." [a movie about bitchy old misanthropes complaining that life owes them. zzz I never thought Mamet was special. His plays don't invite acting so much as indulgence in low-vibrational negativity, ie bitching and hurting your own mind.]
½ June 20, 2011
Stellar acting by the two leads absolutely make this movie. These are two masters at the top of their craft. It's just that after several decades of Mamet's voice, his profane dialogue just seems to me a little boring. Are there people in the world that don't curse between every adjective and noun? One would assume so David...
½ May 3, 2011
A story with little action, which may have worked, without Mamet's traditionally stilted dialogue. You can never actually believe the characters, despite the best efforts of the gifted actors.
April 16, 2011
should have just kept it on the stage - this really isn't a play for the screen.
mattsigur1
November 21, 2010
What are we talking about? We're talking business!
November 20, 2010
Nice delivery of dialog can't help the fact that there is very little story to this and even less point.
½ August 22, 2010
Another fine movie based on a great Dvid Mamet play.
August 22, 2010
Fairly enjoyable, but it still seems very theatrical, as there only 3 characters and 1 set. I wish Pacino would have done the film version, instead of Hoffman, but Dennis Franz is very good.
June 26, 2010
American Buffalo on sovitus 70-luvun saman nimisestä näytelmästä jossa Robert Duvall esitti Teach'a (elokuvassa Dustin Hoffman). 80-luvun alussa roolissa esiintyi muutaman kerran myös Al Pacino. Dennis Franz'a suunniteltiin mukaan näytelmän alkuaikoina, mutta se toteutui vasta tässä elokuvassa. Roolihenkilöitä on kolme ja tapahtumat sijoittuvat 99% Donny'n (Franz) antiikkikauppaan ja ulkona piipahdetaan vain välillä.
June 10, 2010
its ok, but I imagine this is much better as a play.
May 31, 2010
48/100. What a disappointment! This movie was boring and non stop yak yak yak yak. Dustin Hoffman was very good, but hardly enough to carry the film. It was one of those movies I kept losing interest in, then would have to rewind to see what I missed when my mind wandered to something interesting. The direction by Michael Corrente stinks. Did he go to the Wal-Mart School of directing?