American Hustle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Hustle Reviews

May 26, 2017
½ May 25, 2017
a little too much hustle
½ May 21, 2017
This movie tries so desperately to mimic the look and feel of a Scorsese film that it fails to find its own voice in the process. "American Hustle" is very good at going through the motions, but it never seems to understand why such motions are necessary in the first place. The "tense" sequences create needless plot holes and the "twist" ending is contrived and barely worthy of being called cute, much less clever. For my money, this film received its accolades based mainly on its cinematic callbacks and its dynamic cast; not for its screenplay. If you really want to know what Scorsese in 2013 looks like, watch The Wolf of Wall Street instead and get a dose of the real thing.
½ May 13, 2017
loses flow as it goes
May 4, 2017
170503: Generally a great cast portraying wonderfully colourful characters. Perhaps a couple poorer selections but they are minor characters and not worth dwelling on. Really enjoyed Bale, Cooper, Adams and Lawrence with Sydney Prosser (Adams) being my favourite. I found the story a bit convoluted but don't know how you could've really improved upon it. I also found the characters drew me in but the story did not. Just never really felt invested and what otherwise, was obviously a big budget film. May have received 10 Academy Award nominations but you'll note it did not win any of them. Perhaps others felt the same way I did as cast and characters do not a film make.
April 3, 2017
Jennifer Lawrence is a great at playing a crazy bitch haha! Everyone was great though, good movie all around
½ March 26, 2017
Underwhelming film...
March 7, 2017
Hair-brained spooks.
February 26, 2017
Over rated by the critics.
February 23, 2017
A fun and funny movie with great acting from the whole cast. A fun plot which isn't convoluted but not simple either. A good movie.
½ February 23, 2017
not a bad movie I was getting a bit annoyed in some of it because christian bale was mumbling in some of it
February 8, 2017
- Solid film with great individual performances (particularly Christian Bale) but the 'self-made man of spurious origins' scenario is a little bit tired and while Bale's character is engaging and fun, his betrayal of those around him undermines his supposed loyal integrity. Amy Adams has never been sexier though!
½ February 6, 2017
An outstanding cast and great direction make American Hustle a very appealing and beautiful piece of film.
½ January 26, 2017
Truely the worst film I have sat through. Plenty of people walked out during the film. I wish we had. Complete waste of our time.
½ January 24, 2017
Plot was confusing throughout and acting was average. It wasn't bad, but I expected a lot more.
January 24, 2017
Very very good!!! And Man Amy Adams is just amazing!
½ January 21, 2017
David O. Russell's incredible work is hilarious, compelling, sexy, bold, and beautiful.
½ January 18, 2017
Loved this one, it's sharp and funny. Not our usual fare but very entertaining. Quite believable despite being completely over-the-top.
January 18, 2017
Strong script, well acted, with an interesting story and a thrilling plot, American Hustle bring to us an original and pertinent theme which atmosphere is well represented by it's interesting characters and them dazzling outfits.
½ January 16, 2017
David O. Russell gives his best Scorsese impression...