American Hustle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Hustle Reviews

½ January 21, 2017
David O. Russell's incredible work is hilarious, compelling, sexy, bold, and beautiful.
½ January 18, 2017
Loved this one, it's sharp and funny. Not our usual fare but very entertaining. Quite believable despite being completely over-the-top.
January 18, 2017
Strong script, well acted, with an interesting story and a thrilling plot, American Hustle bring to us an original and pertinent theme which atmosphere is well represented by it's interesting characters and them dazzling outfits.
½ January 16, 2017
David O. Russell gives his best Scorsese impression...
January 14, 2017
slow start, but stay with it.......unique plot, sylish & plenty of twists & turns along the way.
½ January 9, 2017
"American Hustle" is slick and wonderfully shot with an all-star cast that soars in this funny, white collar crime drama that shows the planning, executions, and results of a major scamming scheme. It also features a killer soundtrack.
JohnSilver
½ December 24, 2016
un peu trop long. on fini par perdre le fil.... dommage. la finale est bien!!
December 14, 2016
Way too long, didn't find it funny, and a predictable ending.
December 13, 2016
Entertaining. Loved the period fashion and decor.
½ December 7, 2016
"Is that the point of the ice-fishing story?"
½ November 23, 2016
I found it largely boring, overrated, and not to mention a poor form of so called "political justice." What those con artists and power hungry fbi agent did to Carmine and those other politicians was down right dirty. Tactics like that by the fbi shouldnt be allowed imo. Also, i thought the performances werent that great for normally good actors. It felt like a long film to me. The best part was the 70s costumes and decor, which isnt saying much.
November 19, 2016
Smartly written and wickedly funny.
November 19, 2016
A decent character movie, with okay pacing. It managed to keep my interest even though it had two qualities that usually lose me: long & an era film. Nice feel and good acting keep the movie going.
November 17, 2016
American Hustle is directed and co-written by David O. Russell, and it stars Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Jeremy Renner in a crime comedy film about con artists doing a con job, they were successful, but got themselves in trouble, and so they are working with the FBI to get a politician in trouble. I remember being excited for it based on the trailers, and the high reviews. When I got to watch it, I remember being deeply disappointed in it and was thinking that it wasn't as good as Silver Linings Playbook. So more than 2 years later when it was out in theaters, I come across it again, giving the film a second chance, and watch it again to see if my opinion on it has changed. Luckily my opinion on it was higher, but it still wasn't at the high heights as Silver Linings Playbook. The cast are at their A game here, especially Christian Bale in his weight gain, Bradley Cooper having a balance of calamity and craziness, Jennifer Lawrence acting a bit crazy, but also stupid at the same time, and Amy Adams doing something that's different from her usual movie career. The story is really good here, which I'm glad the the movie addresses that some of the story event actually happened, so that it knows itself that it's inaccurate too. The soundtrack by Danny Elfman is very classy to listen to, and it's fitting for the time setting of the film. The direction by David O. Russell is very vibrate, and the writing by the director and Eric Warren Singer is well done. The characters are well developed, and It goes by pretty fast. I know that the movie was advertised as a black comedy film and that it was praised for being funny, but there were barely any moments that I was laughing at, and I wasn't quite sure if I just missed them, or just didn't find them that funny. It's probably a bit too overlong for me that it felt like it was stretching itself a bit. I enjoy American Hustle and would like to see his next film Joy, but it's not his best film and with the lukewarm reviews that Joy had, I'm probably gonna presume that Joy is not going to be up there with Silver Linings Playbook either.
November 10, 2016
American Beauty is a glamorous movie about very unglamorous people. A thrillingly human movie.
October 16, 2016
8/10. a cracking new hustling film. lived the true story.
October 10, 2016
Expectations rise high when a movie has such a stellar cast.
And they're mostly acheived in this absorbing drama.
Terrific acting performances bring the honest and insightful American Hustle to a high level of satisfaction for the audience.
October 7, 2016
A slyly humorous, potent, 70s crime caper dramedy of a swindling couple who meet, pool their skills, get caught, and in their retribution of helping the police find themselves in way over their heads.
Pitch perfect performances - a true character study with just the right amount of style, humor, and insight into these lives that you get amped up with them as their situation starts spinning out of control.
Bale, Adams, Cooper and Lawrence are marvels of poignancy and sly hilarity.
Director O'Russell brings it all together with quirk and authenticity, and a deep, true joy.
Despite the bad language, I loved this movie.
From the first few minutes, I had a feeling this was going to be good.
Enjoy..
5 of 5 polyester tuxes
½ September 28, 2016
Quite intriguing con artist film. Christian Bale is fantastic in the protagonist's role as are Amy Adams as his sidekick and Bradley Cooper as antagonist, not to mention Jeremy Renner as a somewhat corrupt politician.
September 26, 2016
Good movie but not great. They nailed the casting. Had some really funny moments.