Reviews

• Oct 06, 2021

Reasonably entertaining. The dialogue was a bit stilted, but I guess it's a 20 year old production so it may not have aged all that well.

• Jul 17, 2021

Not so historically accurate, but the cast is a lot of fun to watch. There are some decent action sequences. Overall, this a corny and forgettable Western movie with mediocre execution.

• Jul 04, 2021

With the exception of a handful of tightly-done action sequences, this really is more of a train wreck than a train robbery. Unless you paid for a ticket, in which case it was closer to robbery. Colin Farrell essentially does not keep a lid on his densely Irish accent and almost seems like he made no attempt to sound Missourian, unlike the comically overacted cast of forgettable and campy outlaws around him. Furthermore, this story has literally nothing to do with the life and times of Jesse and Frank James or Cole Younger and brothers, except that the characters are all named for real people. Not one single one of these events is even marginally grounded in reality, unless you count grandiose retellings of heists as faithful historical filmmaking. The movie plays more along the lines of "Stand By Me," with the cast giving the impression of immature, teenage rebels doing nothing truly wrong; damn what those rich adults trying to build a railroad and run the US Army think. They just don't understand high school. The dialogue is upsettingly poor and is lousy with patriotic platitudes, forced catchphrases and Nickelodeon-caliber banter between what are supposed to be hardened killers. It's all the more jarring, then, when a real action sequence breaks the total lack of tension and shows some blood. God bless Kathy Bates for putting her lifeless post-Misery star power behind this disaster, and God help the screen writers who gave her literally like 7 lines. Shockingly, this movie has quite a few then-contemporary and future stars who must have kept this off their CVs going forward. Pass.

• Jul 04, 2021

This movie wants to be Young Guns so bad. Sadly, it is not. Don’t waste your time.

• Jun 07, 2021

One of the most corny over the top interpretation of Jessie James I had ever seen ,but I couldn't help but to enjoy this movie.

• Dec 18, 2020

I loved the casting for this movie as, while the movie itself wasn't great, I am just about the biggest Caan Stan there is due to his role in Ready to Rumble. The plot itself was fine even if it was rather clear this was a bedazzled, revisionist look at the outlaws themselves, who weren't good people in real life. The stunts were very good and the movie was entertaining enough that I didn't fall asleep during it even when I'd drank for hours beforehand!

• Jul 02, 2020

Terribly miscast and a poor attempt to be the new Young Guns (which wasn't great to begin with).

• Jan 10, 2018

A feel good ending saved the day for this version of the Jesse James story. Grandma loved it too

• Dec 27, 2017

one of the worst Westerns I've ever seen, seriously who thought combining the backstreet boys and Jessie James would be a great idea?

• Jun 04, 2017

Great Western! Have seen it several times and always enjoy it.

Great Western! Have seen it several times and always enjoy it.