Amores Perros - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amores Perros Reviews

½ February 6, 2019
A truly griping film, strong in all departments, succeeds in creating credible characters linked with a powerful story line.
June 7, 2018
Most literally, a film about the journey of a man discovering the brutality of a dog-eat-dog world, told through the lives of many others. One of the most fiercely honest and savage films I have seen, with vivid performances, intense emotions, and a violent depiction of Mexico City which is crawling with helplessness and frustration. It is profoundly moral, mocking our society's understanding of humanity. It is a film that is gripping, thought provoking, and well worth the attention it has received. And of course, the star of the film, for me, is the dog, Coffee.
April 6, 2018
Gruesome truth said if full and loud. It's well evident that Alejandro González Iñárritu has replaced the king of surrealism Luis Bunuel out from the helm.
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ January 17, 2018
Una película tan bonita cuanto brutal. No se mucho del cinema Mejicano y la miré porque Iñarritu es uno de mis directores favoritos, y ya desde la primera película, esta, acierta y te engancha como pocos directores pueden hacer.
December 25, 2017
M-F-O

8.8

[Alejandro G. Iñárritu]
[Mx]
½ December 14, 2017
The Mexican standard had been set in stone, and this started it all! Brutal, stark, effective and carefully connected by the bad luck associated with Man?s best friend.
½ November 20, 2017
Excelente película. Un clásico mexicano.
November 4, 2017
Its influences by films like Pulp Fiction are obvious but this one is a lot more meaningful than all Tarantino films combined.
August 19, 2017
Incredibly directed, especially how real the dog fights actually seem, interesting to see the film revolve around dogs too. And it has some memorable on-screen relationships, the photographer and the model in particular.
½ August 15, 2017
Excelente debut de Iñarritu.
July 27, 2017
be prepared for love to love you or spit you out. Alejandro inaritu is probably the best and my favorite mexican director mailny because of his first film a raw and painful yet intriguing and mature Masterpiece. its a Classic for Mexican Cinema
July 13, 2017
Not for everyone, but those who can handle its brutal grittiness are in for a powerful ride.
June 27, 2017
ughhh. I've seen it before and I've seen better..
½ April 23, 2017
Amores Perros is a powerfully acted and brilliantly directed drama.
½ March 27, 2017
Where Birdman was a stunning character study built around the incredible single shot trick and The Revenant formed a sweeping, politically charged epic built around the exceptional method acting of Leonardo DiCaprio, Amores Perros falls somewhere in the unformed middle, clearly marking itself as an early work of an incredible but still emerging director. Iñárritu had not mastered (or chose not to use) the single take approach here and so that is conspicuously absent in a film where at times, it feels almost necessary. Absent as well is the exceptional (and expensive) camera work of The Revenant, with Amores Perros grounding itself in low budget shots that work for the most part but can occasionally be too choppy, too grimy, or simply too poorly done even for the film's arthouse tastes. Iñárritu's storyboarding also falls short of his work with Birdman, although this may reflect his greater involvement with the writing of that later film. Although the first and last storyline of the film are powerful, the central sequence feels underwhelming, both in importance and connection to the other characters, despite moving performances from the actors involved. It's a letdown quickly solved in the third act but it's also another hour added onto what is already an overly long film, another issue that Iñárritu would address with later films by tidying up the narratives (Birdman runs at only 119 minutes) or engaging the audience more effectively throughout (The Revenant as a case in point). However despite all of this, Amores Perros is a fantastically engaging character study, in the tradition of Tarantino. It's also a film that shares a stylistic structure with films like Requiem for a Dream and Crash but as regretful Oscar voters can likely attest to, Amores Perros will probably give you a better feel for that style then those other two atrocities ever will. It's impressive because despite seeming like a television episode needing several more seasons (this is apparently part of a loosely connected trilogy, although the fact that the other two films start mostly white actors seems to strike against what made this film interesting for me), Amores Perros manages, for the most part, to keep you engaged on its own terms, despite not really having much of a significant resolution, climax, or narrative goal. Everything has small endings certainly but since the film is part of a larger story, most is left unfinished but remarkably, doesn't lose engagement. Most importantly however, Iñárritu showcases, for the first time, his incredible affinity for human emotion and drama along with the beginnings of the unique storytelling abilities that would catapult him to the Academy's highest honors with Birdman. Although Amores Perros is certainly the seeds of better works and will not be for everyone, for those film fans looking to engage with one of Hollywood's best living directors and his filmmaking roots, this movie is his actual start and it's a good one.
March 6, 2017
A gripping tale of brutal heartbreak, stubbornness,selfishness of modern times. All in a same movie having interconnected stories. Innaritu's most effective story telling from an outstanding script.
February 25, 2017
Una joya del cine mexicano. Amores Perros nos muestra el lado cruel de la sociedad mexicana, pero a su vez expone el lado más humano que todos nosotros poseemos como si Iñárritu nos dijera: "Sí, todos somos monstruos, pero incluso los monstruos sienten".
February 15, 2017
A masterpiece about how our lives are irreversibly interconnected. When we share the earth, we are family.
½ January 16, 2017
This was the very rare film that I found just too brutal and could not finish watching. I know the dog fights weren't real but I just couldn't watch them. The acting is great, the filmmaking is top notch. It was just too much.