Animal Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Animal Kingdom Reviews

½ August 20, 2017
Like so many of these super-serious Australian crime dramas, it starts out well, with a tense, foreboding tone and unpredictable plot, but then ends up losing control of said plot, killing off its most interesting characters and ending up in a dead end of implausibility. Mendelsohn's character becomes particularly thin in this regard. "Why is this apparently smart criminal doing this dumb thing? Oh, right, just to move the plot forward." Several moments teeter on the edge of full-blown "idiot plot". I mostly dug it overall because it works so well in the first half, and there's always an effectively tense synergy between the direction and the dope score, but it's about 20 minutes too long, and it gets very muddled around the second act.
August 9, 2017
Flat out amazing. Compelling story from start to finish and another standout performance from Ben Mendelsohn!
June 20, 2017
AACTA
A classic Australian film
June 3, 2017
Pretty intense, with a few surprises here and there, plus it made me realise how much I missed listening to Aussie English lol
May 8, 2017
Great movie .... Can't believe I missed it when it was first released !!!
April 23, 2017
When a teenage boy's mother overdoses, he moves in with her family who are essentially a criminal gang. He starts out naively enjoying the thrills, but when he finds himself caught between the police and his own family's lethal intentions, he has to figure out how to maneuver his way out. A dark and cynical flick buoyed by amazing performances all around, particularly Ben Mendelsohn as the most psychotic family member. Largely familiar material handled very skillfully and offering a few surprises.
January 29, 2017
What a fantastic movie - gritty and understated in that uniquely Australian way. Can't believe I waited this long to watch it.
December 31, 2016
Some good performances dogged by average ones.
October 18, 2016
I love this film. It's beautiful, poetic, and powerful. I think the characters are portrayed perfectly and the dialogue is spot on. This is easily one of my top 5 favorite films of all time.
September 1, 2016
A little slow at times, but nice character development. Intense and gritty at times. Solid ending that doesn't leave you feeling unfulfilled. Ben Mendelsohn is great in his native tongue.
August 28, 2016
An intense, gritty depiction of a family whose life is dominated by crime and drugs inside of an Australian crime family associated with bank robbery and the young man who is thrust head first into this life so unlike what he is used too.

One of Australia's Best movies.
Excellent film with a strong message. Shocking to the core.

8.7/10 Stars!
July 26, 2016
The sort of movie that one admires more than one enjoys
June 5, 2016
A well constructed story in which a kid just needing a place to stay with family inevitably gets mixed up with the criminal nature of his uncles. No matter how indifferent his attitude towards their behavior was, the environment prevails.
May 22, 2016
Elenco em forma extraordinária e um roteiro genial.
February 4, 2016
Animal Kingdom is an angry and brutally made film by David Michod. Michod has captured the Australian slum life perfectly and the degenerates that swarm it. Joel Edgerton and Guy Pearce are fantastic in their roles, but the rest of the cast are mediocre in theirs. This dark atmosphere with moments mixed with anticipation, suspense and dread really make this film an Australian jewel. It is one of the few that stand on its own and present characters blooming with personality. Animal kingdom leaves jaws dropped.
January 25, 2016
hopefully a sign of great Aussie movies to follow
½ January 23, 2016
Good Australian movie of a "bad" family.
½ January 10, 2016
Damn fine Aussie crime drama
December 31, 2015
12/2015
In Hawaii. Dark and shitty - very slow and just not good!