Any Day Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Any Day Now Reviews

½ June 22, 2016
A very flat story with a cast that just didn't feel right to me.
½ May 30, 2016
it needs a lot of work but appreciated effort.
April 28, 2016
30 mins in,I don't like its tone...and I just cant watch any more...I couldn't get past grubby Alan C looking like Margeret Hamilton wearing a cheap wig...he most definitely does not make a convincing drag queen...and Garrett Dillahunt,who's hair also looked suspect...put me in mind of an axe wielding serial killer for some reason...just creepy.
½ February 4, 2016
A very emotional, heart wrenching movie about 2 issues that are very relevant to my life.
Truly enjoyable with great performances, especially Cumming who I'm not a fan of, along the way.
I just felt completely heart broken over the ending.
½ February 1, 2016
Set at the end of the 1970s, Any Day Now makes the viewer intensely aware of how far we've come in the fight for equality over the last 30 or so years. The plot deals with a gay couple who try to adopt a 15 year old boy with Down's Syndrome. The attitude of the US child protection agencies, the courts and, indeed, the wider community make me cringe and I'm thankful that the bigotry and hostility that is depicted here is something that in the UK at least is very much consigned to the history books. The fact that the story remains compelling and doesn't become overly sentimental is due in large part to the two central actors, Alan Cumming and Garret Dillahunt who portray and unlikely couple in a convincing manner. Of the two, it is Cumming's character of Rudy that drives the plot but he needs the steady, guiding hand of partner Paul to give him a way forward. The fact that the story tries to buck the usual trend of sugar-coated endings this kind of movie is often plagued by is to be applauded but the finale does feel a little rushed which causes it to lose some of the emotional impact that I feel it deserved. This is, however, a great vehicle for Cumming and his undoubted talents which are all too often wasted.
December 13, 2015
I absolutely loved this film. I had my doubts early on , however towards the end this films grips the audience on another level . It truly is a great film that I will watch over and over again . Extremely powerful well acted and genuinely fantastic .
November 17, 2015
I absolutely loved this movie! Showing how difficult life was for a member of the LGBT community back then compared to all of the equal rights now is in itself shocking, but the love and passion that Alan Cumming brings to his role is absolutely flawless. A truly dramatic and heartbreaking story that will have you laughing and in tears. 5 stars!
September 20, 2015
a bit too dramatic at times, nevertheless a very powerful story about love and acceptance.
September 12, 2015
The most cynical critic within me might say that the weepiest and most dramatic moments in Any Day Now feel a little forced; however, the story is powerful enough and the acting is great enough to cover up these minor hiccups. It's put together extremely well, and Alan Cumming's performance is both hilarious and tragic in equal measure. A very good film.
April 27, 2015
A beautiful & stirring film about a young Down Syndrome boy who is abandoned by his mother & is taken in by a gay performer who really cares for him & his lover who is a lawyer.

It's an incredibly honest film that is so sad but unmistakably truthful that is ultimately really devastating.

The battle these men go through to bring up this child is so inspiring. I won't lie the ending is incredibly tragic but is likely to what may happen. It's emotional, perfectly acted & a beautiful Indy film.
February 24, 2015
It was a delightful surprise. Enjoyed the movie. Alan Cummings performance was amazing.
January 23, 2015
A special one ...humor , tears , a nice family
January 16, 2015
Unsubtle message movie that would have been better had it been populated by characters resembling people more than beats on a screenplay outline.
½ December 11, 2014
A touching movie,yet very predictable.I enjoyed it but I didn't love it.The fact is that its main themes were many and each one equally important that I feel it did not do justice in any of them.
½ December 1, 2014
A bit too simple, a bit too plain. Good intention though.
½ November 17, 2014
I'll just tell you right off the bat that this is some heavy stuff. I mean it is about a gay couple trying to keep custody of a mentally handicapped teen so he doesn't go back to his junkie mom. In the late 70s. And while this was very good, all of that stuff is one of the pitfalls of this movie. It tries to juggle too many hats. Romance, gay rights, courtroom drama, family drama, throw in a subplot of Alan Cumming's character really wanting to be a professional singer...it's just a lot. Which unfortunately makes it lean into melodrama every so often. There's even a moment where Cumming is sitting in front of a mirror, looking down, and he slowly gazes up and looks in the mirror as a song starts. I am not kidding. There's also some really unfortunate hair. I don't know if it was on purpose or just bad wigs- but I digress. But on top of all that, this is still pretty good. The real reason to watch this is Alan Cumming though, who gives a fantastic performance. But this is definitely a tearjerker. Don't say I didn't warn you.
½ October 30, 2014
truthful, moving and incredible acting.
August 19, 2014
???????????????????,???????????????????????????,????!
July 19, 2014
Such a sweet, funny, cute, and sad movie. Glad we found it randomly on Netflix.
July 15, 2014
Exceptional movie. Alan Cummings performance was stellar.