ARQ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ARQ Reviews

May 11, 2019
Actors can do one expression only.
Script is full of plot holes.
Characters do dumb stuff all the time.
"This action will result in a bad outcome? Better do it anyway."
"We are in a timeloop and I could change my action this time? Better repeat it anyway."
"I repeated this bad action 10 times now and got the same bad result every single time? Better restart the movie and call it a day!"

Yeah right, such a genius masterpiece...
February 13, 2019
Interesting premise, but failed to deliver satisfaction. Ambiguous endings are great for some films but in this case it seemed to be a way to end a story that wasn't fully fleshed out. There were too many conclusions drawn with no explanation as to how or why the characters knew what they knew or did what they did. The ending somewhat betrayed the big reveal. It was fun while it lasted, but it didn't last long - and probably for the best.
November 1, 2018
The main character Renton, is the most insufferable person in any movie ever.
October 4, 2018
A great sci-fi flick with a refreshing take on the "repeating time" storyline (think Groundhog Day). The film is suspenseful with plenty of good twists throughout, yet not so demanding of your attention that it becomes tiring to watch. The film also knows how to use its small scale setting to it's advantage whilst hinting at a larger world offscreen. The only downside to this is that you're left with the impression that you should be watching a sequel or accompanying TV/book/comic series so that you can really understand the world that is talked about so much, although in many ways this could be seen as a compliment as I left the film wanting more. Ultimately, if you're a fan of sci-fi and suspense then you'll be doing yourself a disservice by skpping this (as long as you don't mind open-ended endings).
August 21, 2018
85 minutes of your life are wasted over a stupid movie, it ended just like how it began.
July 16, 2018
Overall it was an interesting film, the only thing that I did not like was the ending!
½ June 18, 2018
I was concerned about the provenance, or rather lack of, of the cast. As it is, they turn in a decent enough shift. Time travel films are always difficult propositions in terms of continuity and exposition, but this one covers the details well enough. It's just a bit dull, is all.
April 30, 2018
Gobsmackingly derivative of Edge of Tomorrow, except here the continual bickering between the leads revolves around two things: who hurt who most in their failed relationship, and should they take the Arq (a perpetual energy machine that as a by-product loops time) to the rebels fighting the Evil Corporation.The entire film takes place in two or three rooms of the same house but for a brief stint outside. Not much to look at here, visually or otherwise.
½ April 14, 2018
Pros: Good lead performances
Plot keeps you invested till the end
Decent special effects

Cons: Only a glimpse into the world of ARQ
Not enough depth is revealed for us to care at the end.
A rather bland mix of cinematography
½ April 7, 2018
One of the weaker entries in the Groundhog Day category, this movie is mediocre at its best. It has an interesting premise, but a very vague exposition. I think the biggest question of the movie, how does the ARQ do what it does, is never answered, leaving the viewer to be confused. Throughout the film the characters have numerous eureka moments that solve the issue at hand. It feels like all these solutions are being thrown at you, with the writers hoping all of these eureka moments would stick, making you think hmmm that seems believable, lets continue. I did enjoy the fact that the movie almost entirely taking place in the same house. At first I was hesitant because it seemed the movie would be too repetitive, but the writers did a nice job of keeping you guessing. Not a terrible movie, but not a great one.
½ April 6, 2018
Wish the ending did more. Would love to see this as a series.
½ March 17, 2018
With a clever premise that introduces more and more twists and turns as things progress (some of which reveal sizeable plot holes that rely on the compliance of the audience in not thinking too hard about the logic behind them), ratcheting up the tension, 'ARQ' is an entertaining and exciting sci-fi/thriller that is executed with style. Superb performances from the cast are the icing on the cake, keeping you well glued to the screen.
½ December 24, 2017
Intelligent SF with a lot of well-executed action-thriller elements. This is one of the best that Netflix has to offer.
½ December 9, 2017
not nearly as good as Edge of Tomorrow... or Groundhog Day for that matter
November 20, 2017
First 40 minutes were just fine, but rest was so so never ending poorness! Not recommended, waste of time!
½ November 6, 2017
I'm a sucker for a well told time travel story. Usually, those make for lengthy movies, so when I saw one under an hour and a half, I was wary. However, ARQ manages to be compelling and mostly logical in that timeframe because it confined things to a small setting. The characters are stuck in a time loop, waking up after the loop closes, ala Groundhog Day. That can come off as repetitive, but I felt they did a great job making each trip through the loop interesting and more intense. Renton (Robbie Amell) is a strong lead since his actions drive the story each time. Hannah (Rachael Taylor) adds something more than a typical "damsel in distress," while Sonny (Shaun Benson) provides a formidable foe. Despite the low budget (reportedly under $2M), the film makes the best use of it and looks great. This is a great, compact movie. The kind of thing I'd love to make one day.
October 23, 2017
ARQ is a solid Netflix original film telling a dystopian futuristic version of Groundhog Day or Edge of Tomorrow, in which the protagonists iteratively try to overcome corporate-statist evil-doers.
October 13, 2017
Much better than expected. It has a story. that s evolving. It was worth watching, even if beginning was slightly repeatable, it improved a lot. For this budget it is an amazing movie.
September 11, 2017
I just watched it and cannot believe I hadn't heard of it until now.
I've got to say it's probably my favorite movie of all time, and that says something.
The camerawork was well done, the lighting was perfect in a lot of shots, I can't say I've seen anything I could potentially dock it on. The acting was perfect and the story kept me on edge at all times.
The film seemed to be on a very small budget, and I believed that worked out in it's favor.

I'm going to have to watch it again.
August 8, 2017
A small film that's not afraid to punch above its weight.