The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford Reviews

• Mar 11, 2020

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford Pros: Phenomenal Acting Amazing Directing Great Screenplay Outstanding Cinematography Magnificent Editing Crisp Sound Design Beautiful Musical Score Good Storyline Brilliant Pacing Strong Production Values (Costumes, Sets, Makeup, etc.) Cons: The narration does feel a bit overused at times Overall Grade: A (9.5/10)

• Feb 29, 2020

Enjoy this movie always like movies about outlaws

Enjoy this movie always like movies about outlaws

• Feb 28, 2020

Though incredibly long, languid in pace and even excruciatingly slow at times, The Assassination of Jesse James is still one of the better westerns out there. The themes of idolizing, celebrity culture and the myth creation are so well explored while the tension is palpable and pervasive throughout. The casting was excellent as Brad Pitt exuded a lot of charisma and star power playing Jesse James whereas Casey Affleck is a true revelation here. He played very complicated, complex Robert Ford flawlessly, and watching numerous emotions play out on his face was quite powerful in a performance that undoubtedly should have gotten him an Oscar.

• Jan 15, 2020

One of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen. Much More than its western trappings suggest. Nuanced performances which allow the tension to build to a climax you know is coming but hope doesn't arrive. One of the most underrated films of all time, in my opinion.

• Jan 04, 2020

A good, but not great movie that was shot like a Terrence Malick movie. Unlike a Malick film, it had a plot and story that you could follow, but all of the cinematography seemed inspired by Malick. As a Malick-fan, I enjoyed this.

• Dec 04, 2019

Must see film, the music, the story and present of this film is next to none.

Must see film, the music, the story and present of this film is next to none.

• Nov 06, 2019

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is one of those odd movies that is constructed almost like a documentary. It prominently features an omniscient voiceover presenting the facts of the case, that feels almost like a recording at a museum you’d find telling historical facts while you look at a display of clothes worn by Jesse James or something like that. I was on the fence about whether this aspect worked for me. On the one hand, it helped fill in some of the gaps in the story when they make time jumps, and saved us from watching certain mundane scenes. But on the other hand, it spoonfed us the emotional states of the characters as if the actors weren’t good enough to show us what they were thinking. The entire film felt a little cold and distant, as if it was a straight factual retelling with a lot of the emotions removed. That’s not to say every performance was emotionless, but it wasn’t eliciting much of a response from me. It’s like listening to a lecture about Jesse James’ death, rather than watching a movie. That being said, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is a compelling piece of history. There is a fair amount of tension in the movie because of the ever-present danger an outlaw like James represented to those around him. Even though the title told me how it all would end, I was interested enough to watch how it would all come to pass. I just wish it got there in a more efficient manner. The pacing of this film is tedious, and at times was on the verge of boring. I wanted more heists, I wanted more run-ins with the law, or anything that would be more engaging than sitting around and talking. The cast is what makes the film engaging despite its lackadaisical pace. These actors are all perfectly suited to their roles, and make the movie work. In particular, Brad Pitt can perfectly pull off the charming persona with a dangerous streak, and Casey Affleck is an ideal conniving coward. I didn’t particularly love The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, but it is intriguing enough that I also didn’t actively dislike it either.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Oct 12, 2019

The length of the piece serves to elegantly convey the pressure fear and distrust have on people over time...even friends, like acid, rendering even the slightest exchange potent with dark shadows of foreboding and betrayal. The quiet dance between liking someone and distrusting them simultaneously is at the heart of this sumptuous delight.

• Sep 28, 2019

This is one of my all time favourite films the cinematography is breathtaking and the actors play out the book exactly how the words of the book do. This is one of those rare films you watch over and over just to get that feeling like you are realky living in those times.

• Sep 27, 2019

Excellent! Historically accurate or not, a well written, well performed movie. A nice change from all the regurgitated garbage coming out of Hollywood!