The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford Reviews

• May 04, 2021

If either Stanley Kubrick or Andrei Tarkovsky had ever decided to make a western, it undoubtedly would have resembled The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. While more of a brooding character study of James (Brad Pitt) and Ford (Casey Affleck) than a traditional Hollywood western, director Andrew Dominik's film is filled with lengthy takes, slow zooms, stunningly beautiful cinematography with perfectly composed shots, and a story told more through visuals and facial expressions than dialogue or action. Dominik takes the audience through a meditative dreamscape and while the movie may be too long and deliberate for some viewers, it is a rewarding experience for those willing to be immersed in its images.

• Apr 24, 2021

The pacing limited intrigued patience over the poetically delivered, nicely performed, though felt flatly at times, character study focusing on deceptions amid beautifully captured scenery. (B)

• Mar 28, 2021

Was everybody back in the old west really that bad at lying my god 3.3. Maybe a bit long but I was interested

• Mar 19, 2021

6.3/10 — "Okay"/"Watchable"

6.3/10 — "Okay"/"Watchable"

• Feb 24, 2021

This movie was ok. Brad Pitt and Casey Afleck give great performances. The main issue I have is how slow, long and drawn out it feels. I wished it was a bit better.

• Feb 15, 2021

A bit too slow in the first third the movie then turns into a fascinating psychological thriller resembling the likes of the emotions that the main character of Dostoevskiy's Crime and Punishment experienced. Great performance by Casey Affleck.

• Jan 30, 2021

Long and boring movie. Good actors but I felt like it was 60 minutes too long.

Long and boring movie. Good actors but I felt like it was 60 minutes too long.

• Jan 23, 2021

Interesting movie, in the story is the increasing tension build up and the character. The character of Robert Ford is marvellously played by Casey Affleck, makes you feel compassionate, his gradual shift from awe to resentment to Jesse is subtle and in line with the above mentioned tension. Brad Pitt is impecable, the another great performance from him. The development of the characters and the story are wrapped perfectly with superb and perfectly synchronised photography, music and landscapes, making this , in my humble opinion, one of the best pieces of cinematography.

• Dec 23, 2020

I think it helped a lot knowing well in advance that this was a very long movie as I didn't end up getting impatient with it. It especially helped recognizing from the opening scene how much of Jesse's exploits the film was skipping over as it was clearly past his disastrous 1876 bank robbery that killed most of his friends and so it was always going to stretch out the subject material the way that it did. I believe if you can watch this movie and avoid any sense of boredom it is a borderline masterpiece - the acting is flawless, the cinematography is a sight to behold even if you can't personally grasp the nuances, and the story being told is a gripping one. The narrator did have a voice that felt weirdly out of place in the movie as there was a sort of nasal quality to it and some of what he narrated was already being displayed on the screen; most others that would dare audition for a narrating role would have served better, but that's a pretty small issue overall. I especially loved the epilogue quality of the life Robert had after the murder as it was speedily done and very interesting. I had always thought of Casey as the less recognizable/important between he & his brother but I am sure after this that I'll at least remember his face as it was in this movie. Kudos!

• Dec 14, 2020

An unnecessarily drawn out, boring film with so many names being referenced that it's hard to follow who's who. The film is nothing like a traditional Western, and there was barely any action considering the runtime. I didn't care about the characters at all, and most of them had no development. As well as the names being confusing, the timeline was a bit all over the place, making things harder to follow. Then the narration with repetitive, bland music was frankly annoying. Some of the acting was good, but Affleck's performance could have been better. Finally, the cinematography and soundtrack were very average, with parts of the soundtrack being worse than what a secondary school music student could compose. Don't watch this if you're looking for a Western.