Astérix et Obélix contre César (Asterix and Obelix vs. Caesar) Reviews

• Nov 12, 2019

It's no surprise that the Asterix series lends itself better to animation than it does to live-action but the first of the live-action movies isn't half-bad. It's not flawless but I don't regret seeing the movie one bit. The sets look exactly like something straight out of a panel from the comic books and the costume design, while having a more traditional feel than the more colourful appearance the characters have in Uderzo's iconic designs, look good, even if feels like the actors barely resemble their comic book counterparts. The English dubbing is okay. It's not on par with Twelve Tasks or Asterix and the Vikings but it's miles better than that seen in the animated Asterix vs. Caesar, and while dubbing is trickier with live-action than with animation, I feel like the VAs did a good job. It seemed like the actors were actually doing a good job as well with Gerard Depardieu definitely being a perfect choice for Obelix (after all, he was the only one to reprise the role in all four of the live-action films). The movie's flaws involve the story and differences from the source material. At times, the story felt rather unfocused. It seems to be an indirect adaptation of Asterix the Gaul but also borrows elements from Cauldron and Soothsayer that at times, I felt unsure if the movie was trying to adapt every single story or be its own thing. Though that just might be me. With regards to the latter flaw: while the movie isn't in-name-only, some of the changes are more faults than merits and I'm not talking about just the fact that half of the characters barely resemble their comic book counterparts. It's nothing major and I'm not a big purist but it feels annoying that Dogmatix is implied to be Asterix's dog rather than Obelix's, Obelix's crush on Panacea is treated much more seriously than it was in Asterix the Legionary and, while a bit of a spoiler, Getafix has a previously unmentioned grandfather. And no, he doesn't show up in the post-1999 books if you're wondering about that. And the movie is surprisingly dark and it won't be to everyone's tastes. It's not "'80s movie" dark but there's some unexpected nightmare fuel, especially during the "Roman camp" portion of the movie. Oh, and a decent amount of swearing :p, at least in the English dub. I've seen better live-action adaptations than Asterix & Obelix Take on Caesar but given how a majority of those adaptations are terrible, Take on Caesar is definitely one of the better ones and definitely not as bad as I thought it would be, given how poorly received the live-action films are, except for Mission Cleopatra.

• Aug 23, 2018

Not bad, not bad at all.

Not bad, not bad at all.

• Apr 12, 2017

A hilarious and well worked movie that captures the essence of Asterix and Obelix.

• May 27, 2015

As a fan of the comics, i loved this movie!! So much fun and had all the things i loved from the comic!! Great job! :D

• Apr 02, 2015

Fairly faithful to the comics and some Obelix-sized-belly laughs in there. The plot seems to be a combination of a few of the books (Goths and Legionary for at least two of them), and while it's a little slow in parts, it makes up for it in pure heart. Clavier and Depardieu are great in the titular roles, and some of the Romans (especially John and Castaldi) look like they've been taken straight from under Uderzo's pencilling hand on the page.

• Jul 17, 2014

Frightfully non-canonical.

Frightfully non-canonical.

• May 03, 2014

Despite its light heart and splashes of visual silliness, the first 'Asterix' is still a little underwhelming, and not as polished as its successor. This is down to a sometimes sloppy story, mainly from meshing different comics as one plotline. A little like Altman's infamous 'Popeye'. However, the cast still embrace the tongue-in-cheek material, with Clavier and Depardieu making the perfect Asterix and Obelix.

• May 03, 2014

This movie is rather difficult to like if you've read the comic books and seen the animated movies. Gérard Depardieu as Obelix is a real highlight, as well as Roberto Benigni is as Detritus, but all in all I feel that it was unnecessary to do a real-life adaptation of Asterix. If you're a fan of the comics I recommend you to see this, even if you'll be disappointed afterwards.

• Apr 13, 2014

Of course the best adaptation of the comic.

Of course the best adaptation of the comic.

• Feb 14, 2014

One of the first films I've seen at the movies. I can say from experience that an 8 year old would enjoy it!