August Rush - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

August Rush Reviews

September 23, 2017
A beautiful story well told.
½ September 11, 2017
Don't take nit-picking bitchy critics seriously. August is beautiful film. Robin and Freddie, and Terrence stand out. If you don't shed a tear, you aren't human.
September 3, 2017
The worst body double work ever. When he's playing guitar they cut to some elderly musician with the hands of a senior citizen
August 20, 2017
Fantastic movie !!! Great cast,beautiful story,nice music that makes the movie much better.Amazing performances by Freddie Highmore and Robin Williams ! The rest of the cast was great too of course...
August 7, 2017
Great musical prodigy movie....Robin Williams just makes it That Much Better!!!
July 23, 2017
One of my all time faves. Predictable and a bit unbelievable at times... But so sweet and lovely. This is my happy movie. ?
July 4, 2017
This movie is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is about how musicians and exceptional people see the world. We see the world connected in ways that others may never perceive. Music is the expression of the Divine. If God exists then everything is connected.
There is also an amazing thing which happens when we deeply connect to our own soul, as August does in the movie. Real magic happens here.
June 26, 2017
I was very conflicted on August Rush. There were aspects I loved, some I hated, and some on which I just couldn't decide how I felt. I'll share at the end where my final opinion landed, for now let's break it down:

Loved it = I'm a sucker for this kind of story. The romance and lost child angle speaks to my heart right from the beginning. The fact that they all have this bond through music (that speaks to them in some way) works for me as well. It had potential to create a dramatically emotional conclusion, if they didn't decide to end it a bit early. I also like all the main cast members because they seem to have similar traits which make the relationships feel authentic. Finally, most of the music in the film is delightful, and it sells some of the aspects that otherwise wouldn't work for me.

Hated it = Listen, I like Robin Williams as much as anyone, but his character in August Rush is terrible. Every single scene he is in makes me want to turn the film off. His pseudo Fagin's Gang is ridiculous, and adds nothing to this story. Out of nowhere Williams becomes this manufactured obstacle for August, as if there wasn't enough for him to overcome. I also struggled with the movie's story structure. It didn't flow smoothly at times, and totally failed to give a proper perspective on the passage of time. If you told me the events of the film took place over only 5 days I would almost believe you.

Undecided on it = I'm all for movies about the magic of music, but August Rush might have taken it a bit too far. I like when a story embraces the ethereal power music can have, but some of the stuff it does for these characters seems so far-fetched. The fact that August is a prodigy makes sense, but could he really learn to read and write music in a matter of one afternoon? Is it possible for even the greatest natural musician to play a song as complex as he does the first time he ever lays a hand on a guitar? If I could just go with the magic and turn off my logical brain it might work.

I probably enjoyed August Rush more than it deserved. It's a flawed film, but there was something in it that I found myself embracing. I didn't love it, because of those aspects that bothered me, but I'd gladly watch it again and perhaps it will start growing on me.
½ June 20, 2017
One of the cutest and most thoughtful movies I'v ever seen. Always makes me feel better to watch it!
½ June 18, 2017
Very nice love story. Robin Williams (R.I.P.) is phenomenal as always, major props to Johnathan Rhys Meyers, I love his singing voice and Keri Russell delivers an equally great performance. One can not forget about Freddie Highmore. His performance in this film is tied with Finding Neverland. I loved him in that film as well.
½ May 29, 2017
This movie is so shocking - its just so badly made. How does the kid go from running away from modern day Fagin to make it to Central Park - dressed in a tux. Worst movie I've ever seen.
May 25, 2017
I love this movie as did my sister and my mother. It's like the saying...for those who don't hear the music, think the dancers crazy. The professional critics/reviewers don't see movies for any kind of enjoyment but to criticise. Don't believe them, they bypassed their hearts to hopefully be a better machine/robot, but they aren't. Stay human and see it as a human. The mind makes a great servant but a terrible master. That's the (eternal) heart. :)
May 15, 2017
This movie was thoroughly * feel-good *. Music lovers of many ages will be able to relate to the themes in the movie. The pivotal roles by Robin Williams, Terrence Howard, Keri Russell, and Jonathan Rhys-Myers, were nicely done, considering the somewhat predictable direction and conclusion. Nevertheless, this is a good choice for family movie night, and again, for anyone who associates music.
½ May 12, 2017
I didn't bother finishing it. I thought it was derivative and corny.
½ May 6, 2017
Looks amazing!!! I love Jonathan Rhys-Meyers. And I think Freddie Highmore is a young genius!!
April 19, 2017
While it may be imperfectly told, it works as a fairy tale. The music is wonderful and uplifting. Freddy Highmore conveys an innocent love of music with a performance far beyond his years.
April 8, 2017
Earnest acting and beautiful cinematography could not save this sweet but odd and clumsy plot - a lonely, adopted boy searches for his estranged parents by wandering around the city.
Weird.

I was interested in the story, but lost interest bc of the silliness, lack of plot, and the cliches. By the time Robin Williams showed up, I was done.
I was watching only to "see how it ends"- not a good enough reason to recommend a movie. Ever.
A good-hearted attempt at an emotional story where you'll either feel the strings tugging on your heart and be touched, or you'll be annoyed at the attempted manipulation.
That said, it's a typical, meandering Lifetime Channel story.
You'll love it or you'll roll your eyes.
I liked it initially - until I realized it wasn't trying to go deeper, but rather toy with the idea of an adopted boy living a fantasy in the city, and not much more.
½ April 1, 2017
Wow. I've put off watching this movie, because I didn't know how anyone could pull off a movie about a kid looking for his parents and make it interesting. I underestimated the creators of this film. Unbelievable at times, yes, but ultimately deeply satisfying. Every music lover needs to see this film.
March 23, 2017
"August Rush" adalah sebuah film yang unik, walau mengambil latar cerita dengan perpaduan unsur musik. Walaupun sebenarnya hanyalah sebuah kisah yang sederhana, namun kerumitan dan perjalanan hidup dari Evan, akan mampu memberikan sesuatu yang tersendiri bagi penonton. Penonton akan merasakan sesuatu yang berbeda dari permainan gitar unik ala Evan, dimana Ia tidak hanya memetik, tetapi memainkan gitar dengan menepuknya. Sebuah tontonan drama yang cukup menghibur, apalagi dengan irama musik klasiknya yang fantastik.
½ March 18, 2017
One of the most cloying jugs of treacle ever dumped on an audience. Far fetched even as a fairy tale, painfully overacted or not acted, with music so mediocre and uncreative it makes it hard to buy August's alleged inexplicable brilliance.