Away From Her - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Away From Her Reviews

August 30, 2016
The book is better, however the movie is faithful of the original story.
August 21, 2016
While it provided a good look at the struggles with Alzheimer's, it was slow moving and difficult to watch at times.
½ April 25, 2016
Perhaps it would have been an emotional experience if it hadn't put me to sleep. It's way too dull for you to care what is going on. (First and only viewing - 4/25/2016)
½ March 13, 2016
Stellar acting. A sad movie about a couple who has to deal with the horrible disease of Alzheimer's. Julie Christie always works in depressing films..remember Heaven Can Wait??
½ February 8, 2016
Sarah Polley´s piercing script and Julie Christie´s spellbinding fully commited performance makes Away From Her an extremely humanistic, insightful and moving film about love, loyalty and abnegation in the face of the obstacles of life.
January 22, 2016
A semi-sad movie about a man who reluctantly moves his wife of 50yrs into assisted living for early-onset dementia. While in care, she falls in love with another man, much to the husband's dismay.
½ December 14, 2015
Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation. - Kahlil Gibran
November 1, 2015
I watched a beloved relative fade away suddenly and gradually from this disease. Why do the film at all? Go to a local nursing home and visit the afflicted. This is pure fiction wrapped in a cloak of syrupy sentimentalism.
October 29, 2015
the leads r the fuel that makes this pic about alzheimer's disease
½ October 2, 2015
What a great directing debut from Polley and Christie is award worthy in the way she treats her character......BRAVO.
August 29, 2015
This movie was some type of reward. I've got no interest in watching it.
hunterjt13
May 29, 2015
A husband's devotion to his wife is tested when she suffers from Alzheimer's and must go to a nursing home.
A slow, sensitive, and deeply affecting drama, Away From Her features wonderful performances by its leads and Sarah Polley's steady directorial hand. Julie Christie is wonderfully tragic, beating Julianne Moore to this punch a long time ago, and Gordon Pinsent, whom I've never seen before, positively carries this film. Grant is flawed - his flaws sometimes hijacking the plot - but he also seems like the type of husband that we might all wish we were or had. And the ending ... well, it's subtle and lovely and very sad.
Overall, with all due respect to Still Alice, Away From Her is one of the best films about Alzheimer's.
May 20, 2015
Emotional, painful, frustrating journey.

The story of a woman who is put in a home after she develops Alzheimer's Disease, how her and her husband cope with with this, and how their relationship is affected.

Very sensitively told, making for a very emotional movie. Maybe too sensitively done: the film moves incredibly slowly. Every scene is drawn out to breaking point. Plus there are some incredibly frustrating turns of events, which add to the irritation.

However, the level of engagement with the characters is high enough for you to sit through it all.

It's not a perfect movie, far from it - for the reasons mentioned above and the lack of a punchy or profound ending - but is watchable and endurable.
½ February 27, 2015
Beautifull and sweet to see once ...about euh..........Alzheimer
½ February 17, 2015
This is a moving and deeply emotional portrayal of the onset of Alzheimer and how it impacts a couple. Cinematography is beautiful. There are though certain problems with plausibility and 3/4 of the way through, Polley takes the film in an unnecessary direction adding zero value.
December 11, 2014
Loved it, initially was skeptical about the movie with two oldies as the lead but 20 minutes in and I was hooked. Great acting and superb direction but the best part is the crazy story which is about a lady having Alzheimer and shifting to care centre while her husband wants her to stay home. There are layers and layers of emotions which are very complex to comprehend. At the end was not sure what to make of it - Wonder.
December 6, 2014
It's a nice movie with nice performance and ironically the ones that didn't get Oscar nominations stood out the most to me, Gordon Pinsent and Olympia Dukakis. Christie did a nice job too but I really loved the scenes between Dukakis and Pinsent.
November 25, 2014
I didn't like it at first, what with the ugly soft-focus and anti-septic lighting, self-consciously writerly dialogue that probably worked better on the page, and the muffled, musty tone and pacing. It loosens up after the first act, though, and eventually won me over. It turns into a charming, compelling, character-rich, and profoundly sad film.
½ November 19, 2014
Wow, this was a pretty moving movie. I'd read the short story, but the movie is much stronger, which has a lot to do with the excellent casting of Julie Christie. Really, every expression that crossed her face was so believable and authentic, and it was heartbreaking to see her constantly wavering between recognition and confusion. Olympia Dukakis wa a good choice for Marian, too.

I also enjoyed some of the elements that were added, like the occasional humor to lighten the atmosphere (for example, when Fiona pretends to not remember something, then says "just kidding," and more notably the man at Meadowlake who narrates everything happening around him).

I could really feel for Grant throughout the movie. Whenever he'd approach Fiona, I'd cringe a little, knowing that him acting like her husband would confuse her, and even make her angry in some cases (the "just...don't" was heartbreaking), yet I could completely understand why he'd act the way he did. And then it ended on that perfect bittersweet note, with her remembering him and them sharing one peaceful moment together (though I kinda felt bad for Aubrey, waiting for her in the background).
October 6, 2014
This movie was so heart touching to me. I love how educational it seems to be and how it shows that everyone with Alzheimer's act completely different and also showed how it impacts the other loved one. They'll have their days where they remember pretty much anything but then a day where they're zoned. I wanted to see it because I'm a nurse the runs an assisted living just for Dementia/Alzheimer's and one of the saddest thing in the job is when one of my residents can remember I'm from Missouri that we talked about 2 months ago but can never remember his wife of 55 years. Everyone should see this and just feel the impact and how interesting but yet sad this disease really is.