Battle in Seattle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Battle in Seattle Reviews

½ July 7, 2016
Average film which flattened out towards the end.
½ December 17, 2015
This film could have been and had the potential to be a lot more groundbreaking. Sadly it was not and if it tried to inspire people somehow, it really didn't.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
This is a true story based movie about a big protest in Seattle against WTO. A big chaos between activists and the police. The movie have succeeded recreate the whole thing and feels very real actually. Good acting with big stars like Ray Liotta , Charlize Theron and Woody Harrelson. Well worthy a medium rate..
October 1, 2014
I really liked this movie, what an impossible situation that's well portrayed as we get to see all sides of the protest here. The police, the mayor, a news anchor and her cameraman, several WTO delegates, a pregnant woman caught in the middle of it all and of course the assorted protestors. An excellent ensemble cast represent all these characters and I love movies with multiple storylines that all converge.

This wasn't perfect by any means but I definitely got wrapped up in the fictionalized account presented here of the 1999 protest riots at the World Trade Organization conference. My eyes were actually (sympathy) stinging from all the tear gas used as we see thousands of activists descend on Seattle Washington and witness the chaos that ensues over the next few days. Brutal. Huge cast but I would have to say Woody Harrelson & Charlize Theron's story stood out the most. I also really enjoyed Michelle Rodriguez & Martin Henderson as the activists. On a personal note this was very relatable as I was in Vancouver for the Stanley Cup riots. 9/30/14
½ September 23, 2014
Unconvincing great intentions for a worthy cause. I just wish it were to WTO what Blackfish was to Sea World.
½ September 10, 2014
there is no end of colonialism, the rich countries are always sucking dry the developing countries, they just change the way of doing it from time to time!
July 28, 2014
Rade Serbedzija shines.
½ June 11, 2014
This film, sporting an all-star cast, including Charlize Theron, Woody Harrelson, Ray Liotta, Andre "3000" Benjamin, Michelle Rodriguez, and more, makes an earnest effort to portray the various factors at play in Seattle's Defining Moment. I was there; I worked downtown, at the time, and researched this event, after the fact. In my opinion, this film comes as close as possible in showing how and why the "Battle in Seattle," a turning point in modern history, happened.
June 2, 2014
well ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throguhout this movie.....i think that charlize theron, andre benjamin, martin henderson, woody harrelson, ray liotta, play good roles/parts throughout this movie........i think that the director of this drama/adventure/action movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENS AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........IN SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.......i think that Channing Tatum as Johnson, was good throughout this movie......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch as it is a real-life movie 2 watch......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......

Though the film is based on actual events, the characters are fictional.

its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch i think that this is such a really moving drama movie 2 watch........i think that both Ray Liotta as Mayor Jim Tobin (loosely based on real-life Seattle Mayor Paul Schell), Tzi Ma as Governor (loosely based on former Washington Governor Gary Locke), were brilliant throughout this movie in there roles throughout this movie.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......its got a great cast throughout this movie i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch but its such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a good cast throguhout this movie.......
½ May 31, 2014
Moral of the story is that nothing will ever change in politics and expressing your freedom of speech comes with a hevy price, that it simply isn't worth the hassle. Inspired me to do NOTHING.
April 22, 2014
This docu-drama about the WTO riots in Seattle in 1999 is made in the same style as "Bloody Sunday", "United 93", and "Battle for Haditha": it just shows events in real time without comment. We follow everyone here from the ground up; the protest groups, the cops on the street, their commanders, city officials, a news reporter, and innocent bystanders. Maybe the scenes with the news reporter are the least fleshed out, but that's a fairly minor complaint for a movie that is very involving and entertaining and thought-provoking. Woody Harrelson and Charlize Theron are very good, as usual, and Michelle Rodriguez is perfectly cast. One of the big surprises here is Andre Benjamin, from Outkast fame, who delivers a fine supporting performance; he's irreverent but very smart. Ray Liotta is very effective as the mayor, and the film does a great job of seeing the complexities in elected officials as he struggles to please all sides; he is looking for the protesters to behave while also wanting the WTO to address important issues.

This lame film sets a terribly-written fictional narrative against the backdrop of the 1999 riots in Seattle that occurred during the meeting of the World Trade Organization. Director Stuart Townsend, who is also responsible for the juvenile screenplay, concocts ridiculous and melodramatic situations out of a scenario that already had enough dramatic heft of its own without embellishment.
Townsend creates a group of stock characters that includes the beleaguered Seattle mayor (Ray Liotta); a couple of protesters (Martin Henderson and Michelle Rodriquez) whom the screenplay forces into an awkward and unnecessary romance; a reporter (Connie Nielsen) who actually joins the protesters(!) after she witnesses some police brutality (I'm not making this up); and a police officer (Woody Harrelson) and his pregnant wife (Charlize Theron) whose lives are altered dramatically by the events of those few days. These actors are put into narrative situations that a 16-year-old would come up with if he were asked to jot down a bunch of scenarios that he thought would have a dramatic impact on his audience. Therefore, everything is hokey and maudlin to the extreme. The story line involving Theron, in particular, actually made me angry because of its cheap tactics.

You don't get real idea of what the protesters were protesting about. Very much like the real protesters who were a mish mash of anarchists, drop-outs, ravers/party goers, manic depressives, attention seekers, show offs, chancers, and total dreamers. None of whom have any idea of reality because they cannot use logical thought processes.

Anyway, Charlize Theron spends most of the movie crying in bed ignoring her husband Woody Harrleson who plays one of the riot police officers. I had high hopes for Theron when I first saw her years ago but she sure knows how to pick bad scripts and I do think her career is suffering from it. Woody (like Theron) will have been drawn to the project because of his environmental background and on paper he must have thought it would be a good move to accept the role. He, and Theron are both lucky the movie didn't finish their careers off. Ray Liotta plays the Seattle Mayor. The Mayor seems like a decent trusting guy but is essentially betrayed by the protesters rampage. Liottas performance, as well as Theron and Harrleson were mediocre at best. I don't blame them though. Clearly the director has absolutely no idea how to coax a performance from actors and if I were to hedge a bet I would say the director was personally caught up (emotionally) due to his obvious political views. Nothing wrong with putting your case forward in a movie, but you have to do it right and provoke a reaction from the audience, make them think. This completely fails to do that. The man completely forgot he was making a movie and like most extreme leftists the idea is always better than the reality.

As you watch you will care nothing for any of the characters in the movie. Your constantly hoping something will happen, it never does because quite frankly very little actually happened in Seattle over those few days. A few protesters running around smashing windows will not give anyone the ammunition to make a full 90 minute movie.

Its quite telling that since the movies release two years ago it only has around 40 reviews on IMDb. Just goes to show that no one, not even the protesters give a damn about this movie. They are probably to embarrassed.

The favourable reviews of which there are far to many can only be from a few dreamers and those with an agenda. But seriously, pay them no attention because this is a really bad movie no matter what side of the political spectrum you come from.

This movie was pretty darn bad. There were heaps of cringe-inducing lines of dialog and generally mediocre acting. To their credit, the principal actors didn't have much to work with, especially Ms. Theron. Her ability was absolutely wasted since her character spends most of her on screen time whimpering and moaning. The standout performance was from Andre, who was able to use his few good lines to create a likable character.

The script was absolutely contrived and there were too many moments of incredulity. The fictionalized events that were "inserted" were hamhanded and obvious, and some downright insultingly so. There were a handful of "serious" moments that caused a laugh and too few "funny" moments that inspired one.
December 7, 2013
Passions running wild in the USA, with the leaders showing just how stupid most of them are, comes across strongly in this wild and free thinking film. Free speech is shown to be somewhat lacking as the oppression by business and government is clearly shown interfering with the right to be human. Well photographed and written with lots of arguments which are clearly entertaining. Nibbles: Rock Cakes.
½ June 20, 2013
Sekasin dokkaria ja elokuvaa. Ois tmn voinu paremminki teh. Ihan hauska silti.
June 8, 2013
Heartbreaking ... the battle for justice around the world and so many who sacrifice themselves for a better earth, without results. A great movie and a great story.
May 25, 2013
It suffers from its underdeveloped characters but its political ambitions and merging of real and filmed footage elevates the film from being forgettable.
March 28, 2013
it's about bunch of people--so many people, protesting the same thing, the protest affect so many lives.

got the emotion.been in a similar situation--just milder..LOL.
demonstration is never a better solution. negotiation is.
March 14, 2013
As an historical document, pretty good...as a cinematic drama, not so much.
January 22, 2013
The direction of this movie is impressive. Definitely an interesting movie but I don't think I'd watch it again
½ December 31, 2012
Not knowing what to expect from this one, I have to say that 'Battle in Seattle' was quite an emotional and moving film.

It's a 2007 film, about events that unfolded in Seatle in 1999 and surrounds the protests of thousands of people against the World Trade Organisation (WTO) as they were holding a meeting there.

What follows focuses on a group of protesters (starring Woody Harrelson and Charlize Theron to name a few) leading a peaceful protest that turned into anything but.

This is not your standard flick and there are some quite moving and sad scenes throughout so be prepared.

I enjoyed this movie much more than I would have thought going in and it kept my attention the whole way.

Recommended if it sounds like your thing.
November 8, 2012
a star studded cast led by the directorial debut of Stuart Townsend is thetrue story about the 1999 WTOs meetings that were protested against by the people of Seattle. what started out as a peaceful protest turns into a 5 day war. Stuart does a marvelous job blending the real life film footage and the movie footage to make a documentary type feeling. the movie brings in the different story lines of the mayor, the police and even the protesters themselves. it is a heartfelt and eye opening movie that is definitely worth the watch.