Battleship - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Battleship Reviews

½ November 2, 2017
Literally the worst film I have ever seen. If I could give it 0 stars I would. The acting is woeful. The dialogue tired, cliched and downright cringeworthy at times. The plot, again, terrible- but can't give too much away here for fear of spoilers (though arguably the biggest spoiler is your day getting spoiled, after watching this movie)
October 24, 2017
Sadly suffered from an ill-conceived marketing connection to the game.

A unique take on a common plot, excellent photography courtesy the cooperation of the US navy, quick and believable dialogue, excellent effects, an excellent soundtrack and the final battleship payoff combine to make a re-watchable film.
October 16, 2017
absolutely one of the most under-rated movies ever!! simply great!!
October 11, 2017
This summer action/sci-fi had potential, but the major letdown is that I could assume the creators of the movie were major Halo fans! The aliens looked like the generic video game villains, and their technology looked kinda cool, but you could tell that they were ripping off Transformers! As for the characters? Heh, Taylor Kitsch, plays Alex Hopper, and is one of the stupidest, biggest douchebags I have ever seen in a film! I couldn't connect with him, no matter what he did!
Allot of things don't make sense in this story either! Sending a message across the galaxy in order to seek life? Don't you realize that there might be hostile aliens, and you can't just assume that they could be friendly? Ever think about that Mr. Scientist!?
As for sex appeal, Brooklyn Decker is hot, can't deny that, but her romance with our protagonist Stone, felt forced and they shared zero chemistry, and only love each other because of their looks! Ugh! She had no character whatsoever, because she was just eye candy, that's it!
As for Liam Neeson, he was alright, but his role wasn't enough to make this film good!
This could have been so much better than it turned out to be! I think that I would stick to the film "Real Steel". For this? PASS!
½ October 2, 2017
I'm just a simple country boy and I love this movie. It makes me root USA! USA! True, It's not Oscar material but it's easy to watch, lot's
of good Navy action and has a great ending. Appropriate Friday Night family movie after the game with a pizza. Don't listen to the stuck up snob critics who think "everything has to be award winning to watch". Just get ya a pizza, some popcorn, a 2 liter and have a great time watching with your family.
September 29, 2017
A mindless summer action-movie spectacle. Director Berg allows humor to seep in the middle of all of the explosions and special effects. Kitsch, once again shows his charismatic skills as a leading man. The story is inherently silly and the movie goes on for 20-30 minutes longer than necessary. The special effects are impressive. Berg stages some fun action sequences and the cast injects humor to their characters. Leave your brain at the door and enjoy the movie for what it is, a silly popcorn action entertainment.
September 25, 2017
Saw this back in 2012. Felt compelled to review it as a very mediocre film.
September 13, 2017
Plenty of promise that just fails to deliver. The acting is terrible, the story moronic, and the thing you pay to see, the US Navy unleashing hell on aliens, is limited to small skirmishes with a couple of ships. Liam Neeson is in this for like 5 minutes total screen time. Honestly, the best thing about this was Rihanna's performance. She was kicking ass and takin names.
September 12, 2017
Ridiculous but fun, tried to outdo Michael Bay and succeeded with better editing, slightly better script and less shit humour /fascism. Although... We totally started it...
September 9, 2017
About as dumb as one might expect from a movie mixing board game dynamics with an alien invasion flick, Battleship founders when it comes to characterization or telling a story that makes even a modicum of sense. However, there is some fun to be had in the film's suitably ludicrously explosive finale, even if you need to wade through a considerable amount of flotsam to get there.
September 2, 2017
Not a cliche knowingly missed, with a well used and familiar plot line is saved for fans of action movies by a fast paced and well constructed series of set pieces leading to the inevitable conclusion!
August 9, 2017
Are you fucking kidding!? People are retarded for calling this movie a bad movie. Fucking retarded!!!! This movie is fucking good!!!
July 1, 2017
this movie was freaking amazing! I don't know why there's a lot of people hating.
½ June 28, 2017
A really good no-brains required action movie... I've watched it again and again and... :-)
½ June 1, 2017
battleship isnt the best movie out there , it is extremmely long to get a predictable ending a la independence day. if the special effects were good, some character had no place in the story. my guess is the studio didn't want to offend any nation by putting them against one another so they got aliens instead. if some shots were pretty cool to watch, there was definitly a few moments when I asked myself what they were doing. overall , not a bad movie considering the source material... it could have been A lot worst.
½ May 26, 2017
It was alright. Good action.
½ April 16, 2017
You sunk my battleship!
April 11, 2017
Manages to somehow tread just on the wrong side of being so bad to be ironically good: instead it's just really bad :-(
April 5, 2017
Totally enjoyed this movie and surprised to see quality acting, realistic and believable from the cast with many having little or no experience. Am I a less demanding, no, far from it. I appreciated the subtle references to the game. A battleship that manoeuvres like a sports car, well it just made it fun. Very good acting does not always require the heavy overplayed drama, it requires believability in what ever situation the character is in and this entire cast accomplished just that. Loved the tomboy portrayal from Rihanna, and Brooklyn Decker's 'not-a-softy' character. Taylor Kitsch nails it as a fearless but not too sure of himself warrior who doesn't give up. Tadanoubu Asano believable. Hamish Linklator's character I'm afraid truly portrayed how most of us would be in that situation, bravo. Jesse Plemons was spot on as a young seaman who has never seen battle. Bravo
April 5, 2017
Sorry it is a guilty pleasure.