Battleship - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Battleship Reviews

February 26, 2018
I liked the movie. Taylor Kitsch is full of fatal flaws and overcomes them...the only people who have faith in him are his brother and girlfriend, Brooklyn Decker.

In the end, he defeats the bad guys and gets the girl. It's an all american story.
February 24, 2018
Movie started off slow, but the action and the sequence of fighting made up for it. Great selection for soundtrack music as well.
January 18, 2018
I watched the movie Battleship yesterday with Rihanna, Brooklyn Decker, the tall abusive guy from Big Little Lies, and of course it wouldn't be a daytime FX movie without the great Liam Neeson. I didn't set out to watch this movie but like I said I was home all day and it came of FX while I was "working from home" (don't tell my boss). But I actually thought it was pretty good, I mean it was a movie on FX on a Tuesday at 3 pm so I knew to keep my expectations low but I really liked it. It was basically just awesome big ass navy battleships and even bigger more bad ass alien spaceships battling it out but if that's not your speed I get it, you stink. There were a couple funny scenes and a touch of romance spread throughout the whole thing for good measure too. Also, (this movie came out in 2012 so I'm allowed to spoil it at this point) the movie ends with a bunch of WWII veterans helping the few remaining Navy sailors win the battle on an old school Navy battleship so if you don't like that you 1. Don't like America, b. Don't like history or 3. Don't like veterans.
½ January 15, 2018
I didn't realize I could do that much eye-rolling in 2 hours
January 4, 2018
With its Transformers-like effects and spirited tone with a little G.I. Joe blending in on those battleships, it's another treat based on a Hasbro product line that's bigger than G.I. Joe and at the same level of the Transformers trilogy, with a respect of the war genre. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
January 3, 2018
Well this was a pleasant surprise. A contender, imho, as the best film I have seen. And I don't say that lightly, I am normally the most critical. And yes there were a few poetic licenses used towards the end (if an attempted alien evasion isn't poetic eough).

Whilst trying not to give the plot away, as an ex Naval Lieutenant myself and also losing an older brother, this actually nearly had me in tears. I'm also partial to a sci-fi and an action thriller. So basically if Carlsberg made films...

I'd thoroughly recommend watching it. Great film.
January 2, 2018
Big bonus point for the pink panther tune, forcing that rwndomly in there . You had me at da dum da dum ...da dum dad dum dadoodledee dum
- a sign of the lack of seriousness with which this movie rightfully takes itself .. Wasn't expecting much from this so it overachieved for me - the people are 2d all the way but that's the way with these movies, emotions and event impact exist in expressed words but in no other more real and tangible form, all very plastic .. But you get the feeling the film maker knew this and just ran with it creating decent speed and affable characters with which to side which is all the audience is required to do other than check their thoughts at the door. Limitations accepted much better than expected, than other recent movies of its type and arguably any film based on an old board game has right to be
December 3, 2017
It's not faithful to the board game, and it's not great, but Battleship is still a pretty fun movie. The acting isn't great, but it's not bad either. Rihanna is just alright, but Alexander Skarsgard is great and Taylor Kitsch is surprisingly good. The action is fun and entertaining, and there are enough references to game to satisfy most viewers.
½ November 2, 2017
Literally the worst film I have ever seen. If I could give it 0 stars I would. The acting is woeful. The dialogue tired, cliched and downright cringeworthy at times. The plot, again, terrible- but can't give too much away here for fear of spoilers (though arguably the biggest spoiler is your day getting spoiled, after watching this movie)
October 24, 2017
Sadly suffered from an ill-conceived marketing connection to the game.

A unique take on a common plot, excellent photography courtesy the cooperation of the US navy, quick and believable dialogue, excellent effects, an excellent soundtrack and the final battleship payoff combine to make a re-watchable film.
October 16, 2017
absolutely one of the most under-rated movies ever!! simply great!!
October 11, 2017
This summer action/sci-fi had potential, but the major letdown is that I could assume the creators of the movie were major Halo fans! The aliens looked like the generic video game villains, and their technology looked kinda cool, but you could tell that they were ripping off Transformers! As for the characters? Heh, Taylor Kitsch, plays Alex Hopper, and is one of the stupidest, biggest douchebags I have ever seen in a film! I couldn't connect with him, no matter what he did!
Allot of things don't make sense in this story either! Sending a message across the galaxy in order to seek life? Don't you realize that there might be hostile aliens, and you can't just assume that they could be friendly? Ever think about that Mr. Scientist!?
As for sex appeal, Brooklyn Decker is hot, can't deny that, but her romance with our protagonist Stone, felt forced and they shared zero chemistry, and only love each other because of their looks! Ugh! She had no character whatsoever, because she was just eye candy, that's it!
As for Liam Neeson, he was alright, but his role wasn't enough to make this film good!
This could have been so much better than it turned out to be! I think that I would stick to the film "Real Steel". For this? PASS!
½ October 2, 2017
I'm just a simple country boy and I love this movie. It makes me root USA! USA! True, It's not Oscar material but it's easy to watch, lot's
of good Navy action and has a great ending. Appropriate Friday Night family movie after the game with a pizza. Don't listen to the stuck up snob critics who think "everything has to be award winning to watch". Just get ya a pizza, some popcorn, a 2 liter and have a great time watching with your family.
September 29, 2017
A mindless summer action-movie spectacle. Director Berg allows humor to seep in the middle of all of the explosions and special effects. Kitsch, once again shows his charismatic skills as a leading man. The story is inherently silly and the movie goes on for 20-30 minutes longer than necessary. The special effects are impressive. Berg stages some fun action sequences and the cast injects humor to their characters. Leave your brain at the door and enjoy the movie for what it is, a silly popcorn action entertainment.
September 25, 2017
Saw this back in 2012. Felt compelled to review it as a very mediocre film.
September 13, 2017
Plenty of promise that just fails to deliver. The acting is terrible, the story moronic, and the thing you pay to see, the US Navy unleashing hell on aliens, is limited to small skirmishes with a couple of ships. Liam Neeson is in this for like 5 minutes total screen time. Honestly, the best thing about this was Rihanna's performance. She was kicking ass and takin names.
September 12, 2017
Ridiculous but fun, tried to outdo Michael Bay and succeeded with better editing, slightly better script and less shit humour /fascism. Although... We totally started it...
September 9, 2017
About as dumb as one might expect from a movie mixing board game dynamics with an alien invasion flick, Battleship founders when it comes to characterization or telling a story that makes even a modicum of sense. However, there is some fun to be had in the film's suitably ludicrously explosive finale, even if you need to wade through a considerable amount of flotsam to get there.
September 2, 2017
Not a cliche knowingly missed, with a well used and familiar plot line is saved for fans of action movies by a fast paced and well constructed series of set pieces leading to the inevitable conclusion!