Be Kind Rewind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Be Kind Rewind Reviews

September 27, 2016
Funny movie. With good acting. Good performance by Jack Black. Great concept to story.
May 22, 2016
This was a very creative and funny movie. Jack Black was great in this, and I love how a bunch of classic movies are re-made. If you are a fan of movies, this movie is for you.
May 22, 2016
The film begins rather unrealistically but soon develops into a great story. Jack Black fuels the flick with humour as the comedic colossus he is and it powers on with great film references and balances it out with some heartfelt moments.
½ February 21, 2016
Paul Dinello, 'nough said.
December 20, 2015
A nice, modest and heartfelt tale of the decline of a video shop, aided by the zany antics of Jack Black and Mos Def's characters who are left to run it whilst their boss is away. I think many people were hoping this film would concentrate more on showing the short super-low-budget movie recreations it's lead characters make after accidentally erasing all the tapes, but instead the focus was more on the decline of the business itself in the digital world. This tribute to the physical media age is rather sweet and has a feel good quality even if it stretches a little unrealistically when showing the goodness of human nature: Afterall, if you rented a film and it was just 5 minutes of two guys acting out the movie in a car park with tin foil outfits on, I doubt you would be elated. Suspend your cynicism though and this is quite heart warming.
December 13, 2015
Be Kind Rewind is an oddball story about films, indie film making, video stores, gentrification and community, and the swinging dick of big business.

The film begins in a relatively crappy looking part of Jersey, where Lethal Weapon's Roger Murtaugh has finally retired and opened up a VHS rental shop. Murtaugh, being the oldschool motherfucker that he is, refuses to rent DVDs and that leads to his company bleeding cash, and threats of getting shut down so the city can gentrify the building it's all located in, despite its historic past. Murtaugh goes to check out some DVD shops, and figure out how to modernize his shop, leaving his young employee, Mos Def, in charge.

Now, Mos Def, being the chill dude that he is, is buddies with Jack Black; despite Black being a tinfoil hat conspiracy type guy, living in a nearby trailer, in this film. Well, due to his nutty personality, Black tries to sabotage an electric substation nearby that he thinks is controlling his thoughts, in the process magnetizing himself. The next day, when he gets to the video store, his magnetized self erases every single tape inside the shop.

By now, customers have started coming into the shop, with one in particular asking for a copy of Ghostbusters (good choice). Mos Def, thinking fast, decides to film the movie with Black using props they have lying around, and basic special effects. They finish the film just in time, just as another customer comes in requesting Rush Hour 2. The effect is repeated over and over as people begin hearing about the films, and start to refer to them as "Sweded" versions, and the little shop begins to make more money than it ever did before. That is, until the MPAA hears about it.

Charm goes a long way within a film, and this example from director Michel Gondry is absolutely brimming with it. It's the underdog story of the dog under the underdog, and I found myself instantly rooting for the characters, and literally moved by their impassioned attempts to keep their community happy based on their encyclopedic knowledge of film. This is, in a way, a filmmakers ballad to the craft, and it really shines through and gives the viewer a lot of appreciation for the hard work it takes to make a movie.

The film has nothing fantastic in the way of cinematography, just your typical comedy style vibrant color scheme, and regular shots (although there are some great artifacts on the Sweded style films). The music and sound are everything you expect in a film like this, and I can't really remember a stand out song/theme. The film is often classified as a comedy, but it's not one that tries to be funny all the time, opting to add heart, and let the ridiculous situations the two main characters find themselves in to be the source of the laughs.

TL;DR - 8/10
I came into this movie not really expecting much. I actually saw it in theatres because, if I remember correctly, there just wasn't much else to see at the time. When I walked out of the movie theatre, I was elated, and from the impression I got off the half-full cinema, so were most of the other people there. The film won't find itself on any top 100 comedy lists, because it never aimed to be one. It won't find itself on any drama lists either. Hell, because it's kind of a weird movie, you probably won't see it on a list at all. But fuck all that, this movie deserves to be seen by anyone who likes films, and doesn't mind having a couple laughs while watching a movie about making them.
November 12, 2015
An interesting premise unfulfilled.
October 26, 2015
Charming and surprising. Watch it when you have nothing else to do.
August 8, 2015
Aunque no sea bastante divertida, la película se mantiene gracias a la creatividad puesta en la trama.
June 19, 2015
It's a fun, creative, nostalgic blast to the past for the VHS generation. It takes old technology and turns it on it's head. The recreations of some of the movies are so funny, you wish there were more of them. To me, it highlights the anything-goes nature of guerrilla style filmmaking. Yet, it gets kind of sentimental, and it turns into a "save the neighborhood" movie. Michel Gondry should know better than to turn to those conventions. It could've been funnier and quirkier than it ended up to be, and a lot of chances were missed here.
June 11, 2015
Different but enjoyable
May 26, 2015
It kicks off really nicely with classic Jack Black humor, but the story really fizzles as it drags on.
May 16, 2015
Michel Gondry is a very impressive filmmaker with great styles. I loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and I love this film too. The movie was very funny with the spoofs of Driving Miss Daisy, Ghostbusters, and Rush Hour 2. Can't wait for the Blu-ray.
March 13, 2015
Unique and clever film. B+
½ February 25, 2015
While not Gondry's most important movie. Be kind rewind gets by thanks to solid laughs, thoughtful story idea and greatly matched stars.
½ February 12, 2015
Jack Black and Mos Def work at the last video tape store on earth. Now there's a story worth telling.
February 1, 2015
oh oh lost the review-again!!!!!
January 31, 2015
Sure, some of the comedy is dull and the acting is a bit corny at times, but it just brings so many memories of making. Lives with your friends that it is worth a watch if it's on TV.
January 17, 2015