Be Kind Rewind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Be Kind Rewind Reviews

½ October 15, 2017
Reviewed 8.10.17. Certainly not Michel Gondry's best work. It's actually kind of a hot mess. But it is his silliest and lightest movie to date, and I can't complain about that aspect. It's goofy fun. With such a flimsy plot though, the film's quirky conceit must deliver all of the goods. It has its moments, both hilarious and endearing, but falls short on execution. Kind of a 'sweded' version of what could have been an amazing movie. But hey, it deserves its cult status for the silly concept alone and the creative aftermath it has spawned.
½ September 25, 2017
Silly, funny, hilarious at times, definitely enjoyable.
September 6, 2017
Good intentions fell short, but it has its moments.
August 29, 2017
A very underrated movie that really shows the love of watching and making film.
½ August 28, 2017
A bizzarre comic science fiction that cleverly turns into a crowd-pleasing comedy that pays tribute to the videocassette tape culture and the spirited fun of creative filmmaking with sweded movies.
½ August 12, 2017
Such sweetly charming, crazy film! It really gives one an-even-better-than- old-memories feeling of neighborhood, the old times that maybe never were, but everybody wishes there had been! Be Kind is such a feel good, warms your heart movie!
Jack Black is marvelous, as are the rest of the cast, who make the "sweded" movies so much fun to watch! It makes you want to live in this Passaic neighborhood, where there is no hate and viciousness and everybody knows and trusts everybody else. What a wonderful, funny, warm and fuzzy film!
June 27, 2017
A funny movie about the joy of past things, like VCR tapes.

Ironic that this movie is on DVD.
April 30, 2017
2017.04.30: ''twas ok, I like jack black and mos def, so I turned it on. It was ok.
February 26, 2017
this film looks ACE!! so gotta do it! make up some versions of ya fave movies!
February 22, 2017
A very charming and funny film which will appeal to anyone who has had the pleasure of making a film with their friends or something of the like. This may not be a masterpiece, but this film has more heart than most.
February 4, 2017
One of the worst movies ever. What a waste of time.
December 17, 2016
Peculiarly under-rated, and a far subtler film than its detractors would have you believe.
October 3, 2016
I really liked it, as a lover of quirky movies and movies in general this is a weird tribute to "nuovo cinema paradiso"
September 27, 2016
Funny movie. With good acting. Good performance by Jack Black. Great concept to story.
May 22, 2016
This was a very creative and funny movie. Jack Black was great in this, and I love how a bunch of classic movies are re-made. If you are a fan of movies, this movie is for you.
May 22, 2016
The film begins rather unrealistically but soon develops into a great story. Jack Black fuels the flick with humour as the comedic colossus he is and it powers on with great film references and balances it out with some heartfelt moments.
½ February 21, 2016
Paul Dinello, 'nough said.
December 20, 2015
A nice, modest and heartfelt tale of the decline of a video shop, aided by the zany antics of Jack Black and Mos Def's characters who are left to run it whilst their boss is away. I think many people were hoping this film would concentrate more on showing the short super-low-budget movie recreations it's lead characters make after accidentally erasing all the tapes, but instead the focus was more on the decline of the business itself in the digital world. This tribute to the physical media age is rather sweet and has a feel good quality even if it stretches a little unrealistically when showing the goodness of human nature: Afterall, if you rented a film and it was just 5 minutes of two guys acting out the movie in a car park with tin foil outfits on, I doubt you would be elated. Suspend your cynicism though and this is quite heart warming.
December 13, 2015
Be Kind Rewind is an oddball story about films, indie film making, video stores, gentrification and community, and the swinging dick of big business.

The film begins in a relatively crappy looking part of Jersey, where Lethal Weapon's Roger Murtaugh has finally retired and opened up a VHS rental shop. Murtaugh, being the oldschool motherfucker that he is, refuses to rent DVDs and that leads to his company bleeding cash, and threats of getting shut down so the city can gentrify the building it's all located in, despite its historic past. Murtaugh goes to check out some DVD shops, and figure out how to modernize his shop, leaving his young employee, Mos Def, in charge.

Now, Mos Def, being the chill dude that he is, is buddies with Jack Black; despite Black being a tinfoil hat conspiracy type guy, living in a nearby trailer, in this film. Well, due to his nutty personality, Black tries to sabotage an electric substation nearby that he thinks is controlling his thoughts, in the process magnetizing himself. The next day, when he gets to the video store, his magnetized self erases every single tape inside the shop.

By now, customers have started coming into the shop, with one in particular asking for a copy of Ghostbusters (good choice). Mos Def, thinking fast, decides to film the movie with Black using props they have lying around, and basic special effects. They finish the film just in time, just as another customer comes in requesting Rush Hour 2. The effect is repeated over and over as people begin hearing about the films, and start to refer to them as "Sweded" versions, and the little shop begins to make more money than it ever did before. That is, until the MPAA hears about it.

Charm goes a long way within a film, and this example from director Michel Gondry is absolutely brimming with it. It's the underdog story of the dog under the underdog, and I found myself instantly rooting for the characters, and literally moved by their impassioned attempts to keep their community happy based on their encyclopedic knowledge of film. This is, in a way, a filmmakers ballad to the craft, and it really shines through and gives the viewer a lot of appreciation for the hard work it takes to make a movie.

The film has nothing fantastic in the way of cinematography, just your typical comedy style vibrant color scheme, and regular shots (although there are some great artifacts on the Sweded style films). The music and sound are everything you expect in a film like this, and I can't really remember a stand out song/theme. The film is often classified as a comedy, but it's not one that tries to be funny all the time, opting to add heart, and let the ridiculous situations the two main characters find themselves in to be the source of the laughs.

TL;DR - 8/10
I came into this movie not really expecting much. I actually saw it in theatres because, if I remember correctly, there just wasn't much else to see at the time. When I walked out of the movie theatre, I was elated, and from the impression I got off the half-full cinema, so were most of the other people there. The film won't find itself on any top 100 comedy lists, because it never aimed to be one. It won't find itself on any drama lists either. Hell, because it's kind of a weird movie, you probably won't see it on a list at all. But fuck all that, this movie deserves to be seen by anyone who likes films, and doesn't mind having a couple laughs while watching a movie about making them.