Magical Mystery Tour Reviews

• Jul 30, 2019

It might be an odd choice for a movie, but if you think about it as just a huge music video for their album, it actually isn't that bad. More on the clever side actually. Like you gotta admit, the movie ending on the Your Mother Should Know, with that style of video, Absolutely fantastic. I think this film accents the theme of their off the wall songs perfectly. So if you have a spare 50 minutes, I would definitely consider tackling this movie.

• Jul 12, 2019

yes, its a piece of crap. still, i'd rather watch this than 99% of the films produced in 2018

• May 28, 2019

Amazing music, amazing visuals, nothing else to offer really, interesting idea though.

• Apr 18, 2019

Any film containing a music video of "I Am The Walrus" is worth at least 2.5 stars. But mostly it is a bore. No real thought behind it at all.

• Mar 18, 2019

Absolutely love this movie, from it's psychedelic atmosphere to the almost incomprehensible storyline. This movie encapsulates what the title says. It really is Magical, it really is a Mystery, and i'll be damned if it isn't a tour. Instant classic 10/10

• Mar 15, 2019

Absolute mess,a random bunch of scenes thrown together hoping to be interesting.

• Sep 21, 2018

Magical Mystery Tour is a great look at 1960s culture especially the psychedelic era. Full with great Beatles' songs and cool performance of such songs as "I Am The Walrus", "The Fool On The Hill" and "Your Mother Should Know", Magical Mystery Tour is a fun film for Music, art house fans and Beatles fans. The film does suffer from it's nonsense plot and some bad performance from extra cast. With the running time of 55 minutes this is a great extension of Beatles' history and a underrated film that should be view as a art piece and not your normal film. 4/5

• Sep 29, 2017

It is difficult to explain this film. As a Beatles fan, I remember watching this as a child and other times throughout my life. It is a time capsule snapshot of the Beatles at the peak of their songwriting brilliance, yet it is difficult to grasp as a cinematic effort by any standard, including that of a home movie. It is clear that little effort was put into this film. Poor editing. No script. Poor acting. Poor directing. Poor camerawork. Where was George Martin!!??! It may have started with good intentions, from, I understand Paul McCartney primarily. However, I believe their strategy was to film a batch of potential misadventures and creative skits, followed by editing down to 1 hour and hope that something brilliant comes of it. I am surprised that there is any critical acclamation attributed to this film. This production may have simply been an acid movie and predecessor to subsequent copycat efforts such as The Monkees' "Head" and Frank Zappa's "200 Motels". Several disjointed skits thrown together, altogether incoherent and meant to be watched while high on drugs. I feel sorry for sober people watching this, trying to extract some deep meaning, calling it art and giving it a favourable rating. There is brilliance in their classic performances of "I Am The Walrus", "Hello Goodbye" and "Your Mother Should Know". These bits are classic and historic rock 'n' roll videos. This is somewhat painfully watchable; whereas Head and 200 Motels are not. The music in this film however, is some of the greatest ever produced.

• Dec 09, 2016

Great movie a lot of fun, very psychedelic. Only a true Beatles fan would like it

• Sep 29, 2016

I really liked this film and I don't know why it's so poorly received. It is highly unusual, yes, but it manages to reach-through the screen and touch you, sometimes significantly so, and if that's not art then what is? Particularly the scene in which the larger woman was eating and eating and eating, it was very visceral. Just at the right time there was a cut to a gentleman who ate some bread and the CRUNCH of his bite really got me where they intended. It truly is art. Whilst it deserves respect for its artistic value alone, it also contains some wonderful music. I have the remastered Bluray version as well as the original on VHS encoded digitally; the original is a much better experience. While it's great to see the lads in crystal clear high definition, it loses some of the magic of one's imagination in so far as being able to make out exactly what's happening on-screen. The blurry, grainy original leaves more to the imagination. That being said, the audio quality is far superior on the Bluray version, it was remastered very well (and I downmix to a lowly 2.1 channels). I strongly recommend this film to anyone who is in an altered state of mind; perhaps you've stayed up really late and can't quite sleep? Put this on (in the dark and alone) and enjoy. Wonderful art from some wonderfully creative characters. I can't believe Lenon was shot dead ;( 4.5/5