Beautiful Lies (Full Treatment)(De vrais mensonges) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beautiful Lies (Full Treatment)(De vrais mensonges) Reviews

½ April 18, 2014
The story of a good, kind man who ends up with nasty, spiteful liar at the end. It seemed like the story had a glimmer of promise, but seemed to fall apart bit by bit, until the end when you're sick and tired of it all.
½ August 31, 2013
Trs bien! J'adore Audrey Tautou.
½ August 28, 2013
Emilie Dandrieux (Audrey Tatou) owns a hairdressing salon, who receives a handwritten anonymous love letter one day. The person behind the letter is the shy handyman Jean (Sami Bouajila) who does all sorts of work at the salon. She dismisses the passionate letter at first, but when she realises that her mother Maddy (Nathalie Baye) is still distraught over the betrayal of her father, she decide to resend the letter to her mother to cheer her up. What follows is a series of misunderstandings and an awkward love triangle involving a man caught between two women who are mother and daughter...

I have adored (still do) Audrey Tatou since "Amelie" and its hard to not get caught in her web of charm with her raven dark bob, doe-eyes and delicate appearance. However, when she is served a very unsympathetic character she kind of lose that charm no matter what, as in the case with Emilie Dandrieux. "De Vrais Mensonges" is very predictable, slightly unbalanced, stereotypical, simple in the structure and not that funny really. Its only in the end the movie comes alive with some convincing emotions, but then its too late. Thus "De Vrais Mensonges" is not a must for Tatou fans.
½ April 27, 2013
As lovely as other films from Audrey Tautou. But the absurd mother is far too irrational.
March 6, 2013
I think most negative reviews were done by bad english subtitles because the original french version is great!
½ December 9, 2012
Beautiful Lies was a fun and in my opinion, at times touching, romantic comedy. Nathalie Baye was especially great in the film, very animated and simply funny. This film lends light to the versatility of Audrey Tautou as an actress who in this film deviates from her usual cute, quirky and feminin persona to a more strict and cynical --yet still very human-- character. The dialogue on several occasions was completely hilarious. I am a bit surprised by the very low rating on Rotten Tomatoes that the film received, as normally my tastes are in line with the Rotten Tomatoes reviews. All in all this was a very real and naturally acted film that managed to stay light and positive despite the heavy and at times very sorrowful undercurrent. Watching it was like a fluffy cloud of whipped cream on my rainy day in London ; )
December 7, 2012
With some movies, people don't care that the story is predictable. They just enjoy its warm, lighthearted silliness. This isn't one of those movies.
November 14, 2012
Charming, cute and funny!! Love Audrey Tautou!
October 25, 2012
What a delightful film. Audrey Tautou is so enchanting. Bouajila was so adorable too! Totally recommend to anyone up for a fun little romancey movie.
½ October 21, 2012
This film is rather better than some of the reviews would have you believe. It is a simple enough farce, and has a tidy ending, but the charm and wit of the performances mean you don't feel short changed.
½ September 1, 2012
Silly and over the top, like most French comedies, this is an instantly forgettable bit of oversugared fluff. Shame about Tautou wasting her time with this, while the "other" young French star, Cotillard, already managed to win an Oscar and is currently surpassing her in fame (and remarkable filmography).
August 28, 2012
Once again a wonderful French movie! Once again a ravishing Audrey Tatou
August 27, 2012
quirky little French film
August 14, 2012
This fillm has a strong start and its a nice idea, but it gets a bit twisted at the end
August 8, 2012
Oh dear! Lovely Audrey's Emilie is certainly no Amelie in this quite awful over-contrived comedy. A few flashes of real humour raise hope, which is quickly dashed. One feels for Sami Bouajila, who never looks happy in his part: one cannot blame him.
August 2, 2012
If it hasn't been Audre Toutu, I would never have watched this movie.
½ June 7, 2012
Very enjoyable film. Even if you are not in the mood for any TV or cinema, chances are this film will relax you and cheer you up. Simply French cinema at its best.
June 3, 2012
The story is full of potential and it probably would have been a decent book. But as a film it disappoints even with the wonderful cast. C'est la vie.
May 25, 2012
Liked, but didn't love this. I couldn't really warm to Emilie and her rather spiky personality at all. To be honest, I couldn't see what Jean saw in her. You could say the obvious (beauty) - but even that is not apparent here. That very short hair dyed a harsh black - not a good look at all (and Emilie is meant to be a hairdresser!). Also very blandly dressed. The only time I thought she looked nice was in her dress right at the end (obviously she is a pretty girl, so something is not right there!).
The story itself is pretty good. Emilie receives an anonymous love letter from Jean and ends up sending it to her depressed mother, who has been in a slump for 4 years after her husband married a girl younger than Emilie.
I don't know about anyone else, but I liked the mother, Maddy, way more than Emilie. I found myself hoping Jean would end up with her as they were both so sweet and Emilie was just - ugh! I think her character was just not written well enough. More explanation was needed to explain the bad behavior - for example, chopping the girls fringe off at the beginning of the movie. The father remarrying only explains so much.
Overall worth a look, but don't expect too much.
½ May 22, 2012
Pas mal. Ce n'est pas aussi divertissant que Am (C)lie, mais c'est un film doux, en g (C)n (C)ral. Comme toujours, l'actrice Audrey Tautou a (C)t (C) un plaisir à regarder. Alors, le voir si vous l'aimez! :)
Not bad. It's not as entertaining as Amelie, but it's a sweet film, in general. As always, the actress Audrey Tautou was a delight to watch. So, see this if you like her! :)