Bee Season - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bee Season Reviews

jjnxn
January 13, 2016
Suffers from too many plots and not enough focus.
½ November 22, 2014
Can you spell horrid? I can. B E E S E A S O N.
October 16, 2014
Possibly the worst Richard Gere movie ever and that's saying something. The movie is not really about spelling bees or mysticism or anything else. Terrible.
August 16, 2014
A movie with more promise than it lives up to. Everyone gives fine performances, but the story and character development just don't provide much that's emotionally compelling. Juliette Binoche's character is just confusing and unclear until 2/3 of the way through, which was frustrating as I watched it. And Flora Cross' 11-year old Eliza is not fully believable in her seemingly continual state of pouting and sadness. There doesn't seem to really be anything for her to be that sad about. And the mystical/magical elements in the film just distract from what could have been a more straight forward drama in the hands of a better writer. But the cinematography and editing are interesting as always with films from McGehee and Siegel.
½ June 28, 2014
A beautiful, remarkable and intelligent film about a family in crisis told with unexpectedly imaginative visual imagery and great sensitivity. The cast is so good, especially young Flora Cross, and the direction very skillful and deft.
June 23, 2014
Bee Season is boring and misleading, falling flat immediately and never developing any warmth. It believes it's intelligent, when in fact it's just pretentious. Its cast do nothing to help its overwhelmingly dull tone, Minghella coming across as one-dimensional, Binoche as unsure of her portrayal, and Gere as not believable. Don't waste your time on Bee Season; it overwhelms and under-delivers.
May 15, 2014
Watching paint dry. I was patient. Very patient. Well filmed and a well assembled cast wasted on a dumb and dumber script. I was left wondering, did Richard Gere approve of this script or was it a bait and switch?
½ January 11, 2014
A little slow and confusing. It took me until the end to figure out what was going on with the mom, which was odd anyway.
½ August 22, 2013
This movie was such a pile of tripe. It's the laughing stock of my family. All the characters are completely unlikeable and annoying, from the crackhead mother to the "why-is-my-sister-getting-all-the-attention-now" son, and Richard Geer is the Dynamite in this cow pile. He's so pretentious and annoying it makes me want to chew off my fingers.
bbcfloridabound
½ May 9, 2013
Imagine growing up in a family of academics, musicians, and Jewish mystics. When 12-year-old Eliza (Flora Cross) wins both the district and regional spelling bees, her father, Saul (Richard GereJewish mysticism, begins to tutor her daily. Not only is he preparing her for the state spelling bee competition, but Saul is also training his daughter to be the mystic he wasn't able to become. Bee Season is not only a movie about meditation, but it is also itself a meditation. This family is consumed with finding God, but they all look outside of the family to find it, and in the process, the family falls apart. Eliza's older brother Aaron (Max Minghella) is so jealous that his sister is getting all of the family's attention that he goes off and joins a Buddhist cult, and everyone in the family is so focused on their own problems that no one notices the mother (Juliette Binoche) going slowly insane! Bee Season is transcendent and thought-provoking, and it even makes me want to go out and look for God. 3 Stars 5-2-13
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
½ September 23, 2012
I saw it on cable & got glued till the end. The mom's secret was bizarre. The ending was not at all spectacular.
September 18, 2012
great and diferent drama about religion and individuality. Just loved the message into this film...
I guess everyone of us have a diferent religion inside us... it isn't have to be influenced by a church or a powerful institution...
½ August 24, 2012
The more I think about it, the less I like it.
½ May 6, 2012
Malgré l'effort des réalisateurs de nous offrir une histoire complexe et intriguante à souhait, Bee Season ne réussit pourtant pas. Le film se révèle inintéressant, long et redondant. La petite touche de mystère et complexité ajoutée rebutent alors davantage le long-métrage, puisqu'on n'a pas le goût de s'y intéresser tellement il n'est pas accrocheur. Richard Gere est un bon acteur, Kate Bosworth, bien que peu présente, est appréciable. Je ne peux pas démolir le film complètement, il possède sa part de qualité, mais ça reste plutôt ennuyant!
½ February 1, 2012
Everybody missed the boat on this one. It's a great family drama with well-observed performances all throughout. One of the best films of 2005.
January 16, 2012
This movie tried so hard to be thought provoking. I think this movie wanted to make everyone else fill stupid. For some reason I still enjoyed it, though it just tried too hard.
December 24, 2011
Quirky family drama, original story line
April 29, 2011
One of the best films from 2005. Been a while since I watched this one, though.Really loved it at the time