Bee Season Reviews

• Jan 05, 2017

what a mess. what a pretentious, self-contented mess. PLUS: this movie has been translated into many other languages to be shown worldwide. the movie´s point is the girl´s willful mistaking of Y and WHY. there is no - absolutely no - connection between Y and WHY in other languages. only in english. so the point can´t be understood in other languages because of the lack of any pronounciation similarities. as example: Y translated to german is YPSILON, and WHY translated to german is WARUM.

• Aug 11, 2015

intelligent and off putting at the same time.Good performances and yet quite bland.As a whole uneven to say the least.

• Nov 22, 2014

Can you spell horrid? I can. B E E S E A S O N.

Can you spell horrid? I can. B E E S E A S O N.

• Oct 16, 2014

Possibly the worst Richard Gere movie ever and that's saying something. The movie is not really about spelling bees or mysticism or anything else. Terrible.

• Aug 16, 2014

A movie with more promise than it lives up to. Everyone gives fine performances, but the story and character development just don't provide much that's emotionally compelling. Juliette Binoche's character is just confusing and unclear until 2/3 of the way through, which was frustrating as I watched it. And Flora Cross' 11-year old Eliza is not fully believable in her seemingly continual state of pouting and sadness. There doesn't seem to really be anything for her to be that sad about. And the mystical/magical elements in the film just distract from what could have been a more straight forward drama in the hands of a better writer. But the cinematography and editing are interesting as always with films from McGehee and Siegel.

• Jun 28, 2014

A beautiful, remarkable and intelligent film about a family in crisis told with unexpectedly imaginative visual imagery and great sensitivity. The cast is so good, especially young Flora Cross, and the direction very skillful and deft.

• Jun 23, 2014

Bee Season is boring and misleading, falling flat immediately and never developing any warmth. It believes it's intelligent, when in fact it's just pretentious. Its cast do nothing to help its overwhelmingly dull tone, Minghella coming across as one-dimensional, Binoche as unsure of her portrayal, and Gere as not believable. Don't waste your time on Bee Season; it overwhelms and under-delivers.

• May 15, 2014

Watching paint dry. I was patient. Very patient. Well filmed and a well assembled cast wasted on a dumb and dumber script. I was left wondering, did Richard Gere approve of this script or was it a bait and switch?

• Jan 11, 2014

A little slow and confusing. It took me until the end to figure out what was going on with the mom, which was odd anyway.

• Aug 22, 2013

This movie was such a pile of tripe. It's the laughing stock of my family. All the characters are completely unlikeable and annoying, from the crackhead mother to the "why-is-my-sister-getting-all-the-attention-now" son, and Richard Geer is the Dynamite in this cow pile. He's so pretentious and annoying it makes me want to chew off my fingers.