Before the Devil Knows You're Dead Reviews

• Apr 15, 2019

A good crime thriller with a great Hawke and Hoffman, how can you miss it?

A good crime thriller with a great Hawke and Hoffman, how can you miss it?

• Mar 25, 2019

Sidney Lumet is a great director who's last outing is not a return to form. The style of this thriller is unique and does provide enjoyment. But it also has many problems. It has a worn out screenplay that gives us nothing to feast on with its non-linear storytelling lacking any focus. Nobody cares about the characters that lack logic or common sense. Coming across as not really interesting film making. Just bringing in solid tension is not enough. Before the Devil... ultimately falls flat from its own ambition and greedy narrative.

• Mar 01, 2019

First off, how about that comeback for Marisa Tomei?? She looks stunning in this movie and it's a shock to see how good her body looks. This was a really good movie that was very tense. The tension is palpable for large durations of the film. I think it was a good idea to focus on the ramifications and consequences of the botched robbery vs on the robbery itself. It's interesting to see how the 2 brothers get themselves into a bigger hole than they were already in before the robbery, then dig themselves even deeper and deeper afterwards. The acting is really good led by the great Phillip Seymour Hoffman, then also Ethan Hawks and the aforementioned Marisa Tomei. I'm a big fan of the movie but felt like it went a bit overboard at the end with so many killings... but in hindsight it's easy to understand why they all took place given PSH's state of mindset as everything crashed down around him. I recommend this movie for mans of thrillers and people who like fast moving dark dramas.

• Nov 06, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Sep 15, 2018

Mediocre drama movie starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke. It’s weird how this movie is filmed.

• Jul 07, 2018

Fantastic and gripping story by talented actors. This will make you mourn the loss of Philip Seymour Hoffman even more, but Marisa Tomei, Ethan Hawke, and Albert Finney are also superb. The story is told out of order, and it's like peeling back an onion. The transitions between scenes can be a bit distracting but don't let that dissuade you.

• Jun 30, 2018

Really well done but a huge downer!

Really well done but a huge downer!

• May 19, 2018

wonderful! i've never seen characters that stressed.

wonderful! i've never seen characters that stressed.

• Mar 10, 2018

This is a Sidney Lumet directed, Ethan Hawke/Philip Seymour Hoffman/Marisa Tomei starring robbery thriller movie - you cant blame me for expecting to be blown away. Instead, it's a relatively straightforward thriller chunked up and made non-chronological for...reasons. Characters act in all sorts of incomprehensible ways (why didnt PSH inform them the jewelery glass case would be reinforced? Why did PSH start flagrantly murdering so many people?) and you really feel nothing for just about any of them. So I don't know. It's good, but certainly not great.

• Dec 30, 2017

This heist-gone-wrong movie is slow moving and brooding. The acting is good, except for Ethan Hawke and Albert Finney. Was Hank supposed to be mentally challenged? Never been a Finney fan. Overacts terribly. This pathetic excuse for a family just wasn't interesting enough to get worked up about. The best thing about the movie is Marisa Tomei. She's the only reason I'm giving it a passing grade.