The Belly of an Architect Reviews

½ August 27, 2008
A Belly of transgression.Snatching Mertens,offering Dennehy his must-see performance and yes folks,this is Peter Greenaway,out of the best directors working in and most importantly for cinema.Gasping with awe,the appropriate toast to a twisting little diamond from Albion.Nations,personalities collide with misery and treachery.Amongst 87's works of art for sure.
August 13, 2008
Certainly not Greenaway's best film, but a noteworthy one nonetheless. Brian Dennehy easily gives his best performance here. The backdrop of Italy makes it all the more breathtaking. Note: For Greenaway fans only.
January 21, 2008
Greenaway once more delivers a romantic, symbolic and aestheticist experience. The problem is that this time he misses the nail. True, some scene are sublime and sometimes he manages to put on the screen such feelings as pain, loneliness and specially jealousy. But overall it is fairly boring, no one really cares about any of the characters and some of the actors are straight out bad (Lambert Wilson as a fascist-leaning Italian architect is ridiculous). One thing really excited me though: the music. It is exciting and daunting at the same time.
July 24, 2007
Chloe Webb gives one of the worst performances I've seen. the frequent use of visual symmetry is very interesting.
½ June 21, 2015
I'd recommend this movie to the architects...
May 27, 2015
Peter Greenaway's study of an obsession and paranoia is a mixed bag of excess and restraint. These two opposing approaches make for an uneven but interesting film. I've always felt that Greenaway was striving to create an artistically intellectual and more "user friendly" movie. Whatever he was trying to do failed to work for me. It is a good film that never finds a way to engage me.
February 27, 2015
For the Rome visit ... ;)
½ November 29, 2014
One of Greenaway's tamer and more accesible works that still carries a great deal of his signature style and intricate allegory. A worthy entry but not a list-topper.
½ December 29, 2012
Peter Greenaway creates a film that is moving, grotesque, and beautiful.
½ September 22, 2012
A poetic film about a tortured artist, with Peter Greenaway's cinematic eye really giving the film some drive. Using a huge amount of lengthy long shots, and imagery of towering architecture, The Belly of an Architect really communicates in it's theme of alienation. It's not perfect, as the film is too long and occasionally didactic, but those intrigued by the artistic process need to give this film at least a look
September 19, 2012
The most traditional of Greenaway's films so far (we're seeing them chronologically) and a personal favourite. There are numerous parallels to the Draughtsman's Contract with the big artistic project and the artist dying in the end. A feel bad film ins some ways, but also full of black humour and a film that makes you start to think. We had a good discussion afterwards and I am really looking forward to seeing more of Greenaway's films.
½ February 2, 2011
Despite the ridiculously interesting title, "TBOAA" is a tiring and incomprehensible film: it's two hours long, there are very few close-ups and its pacing is desperately slow in the first part. It builds up during the last half, but never becomes better than just decent. Much they did about nothing. I mean, OK, Dennehy is great and the score by Wim Mertens is absolutely excellent (especially the song "Struggle For Pleasure") but these are the only two sensible reasons one would watch this.
February 24, 2012
This one's an "interesting" Greenaway. Naturally, it's verbose and convoluted, as per any Greenaway film. Just couldn't get into Chloe Webb's performance for some reason. Dennehy is, of course, great. Even though it's not one of my favorites from the erudite maestro, any Greenaway film is always worth a look!
½ August 31, 2011
"Jesus Christ would have died of stomach cancer if you people hadn't crucified him first!"
½ December 14, 2010
An awful title about a failing marriage, jealousy in modern Rome. I suppose this passes for engrossing entertainment but I was easily distracted. Brian Dennehy does a great job playing a jealous and ill husband who finds his exhibition taken from him.

A quite depressing but at times moving film. Well made no doubt in every respect as it sinks into deep thoughts by the architect. Not sure if this could sell a lot of tickets in 1987, but I suspect not.

Perhaps I should have paid more attention to this one, but its rather slow paced and when the lead actor Dennehy lays on a surgical table to have his intestine inspected by a doctor.... well it sort of "bottomed" out for me. Who writes this stuff?

But seriously, the Belly refers to the fact that this 55 year old distinguished architect discovers he has belly cancer, an estranged wife and no exibition far away from his native Chicago.

Stephania Cassini
Brian Dennehy (the American architect and lead actor)
Sergio Fantoni
Lambert Wilson
Chloe Webb (the attractive wife)

Associate Producer: Concitta Airoldi
Art Director: Luciana Vedovelli
Cinematographer: Sacha Vierny
Editor: John Wilson
October 20, 2010
was really moving. but puts me to sleep every time.