The Belly of an Architect - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Belly of an Architect Reviews

½ November 14, 2016
The thing about this is that, despite good performances, as far as I can see, it's a lot of nothing. Sure, it's more of a character study than linear story, but, even taking this into consideration, it still doesn't deliver anything that I think is really worth watching. There are some good ideas here, but that's all they are - ideas that never come to fruition.
½ June 21, 2015
I'd recommend this movie to the architects...
June 14, 2015
A visually striking tale of obsession with a powerful performance by Dennehy, and the usual sexual flourishes from Greenaway.
May 30, 2015
Peter Greenaway's artistic background reveals itself frame after frame in this taxing tragic drama. However, Greenaway's film isn't half as profound as the Roman legends it strives to revere in its shoddy screenplay.
The film charts the neo-classical decline of obsessive architect, Brian Dennehy, mimicking the mopey hypochondria of the very master he's studying. Trouble is, not only is soppy Dennehy hard to take seriously, (with his fuzzy frowns and striking resemblance to Troll 2's Grandpa Seth), but Greenaway's casting-to-character-age ratio is horrendous, and his script is 80% age-gags and adultery. As you can imagine, this combined with atrocious acting is not ideal in a relationship drama which requires complete belief in its characters in order to work.
The Belly of An Architect is a pretty picture of a movie; a real pretty picture. But no level of beauty can mask the fact that it features some of the worst flirting and faffing in the history of film. Poop with a painted gold coating; let's hope the lady playing Dennehy's 'much younger' missus was an unpaid intern.
May 27, 2015
Peter Greenaway's study of an obsession and paranoia is a mixed bag of excess and restraint. These two opposing approaches make for an uneven but interesting film. I've always felt that Greenaway was striving to create an artistically intellectual and more "user friendly" movie. Whatever he was trying to do failed to work for me. It is a good film that never finds a way to engage me.
February 27, 2015
For the Rome visit ... ;)
½ November 29, 2014
One of Greenaway's tamer and more accesible works that still carries a great deal of his signature style and intricate allegory. A worthy entry but not a list-topper.
½ February 15, 2013
ovaj film ne volim. ljudi koji su briljantni u stilizaciji ne treba da se ispovedaju. bar ne pre nego sto Sudija odsvira kraj.
½ February 5, 2013
Peter Greenaway.
(ARCHITECT).
½ December 30, 2012
Peter Greenaway creates a film that is moving, grotesque, and beautiful.
½ December 22, 2012
A poetic film about a tortured artist, with Peter Greenaway's cinematic eye really giving the film some drive. Using a huge amount of lengthy long shots, and imagery of towering architecture, The Belly of an Architect really communicates in it's theme of alienation. It's not perfect, as the film is too long and occasionally didactic, but those intrigued by the artistic process need to give this film at least a look
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
½ November 17, 2012
Troubling, problematic, pretentious, flawed but well worth seeing.
½ October 24, 2012
No matter what have been said about Greenaway, this is not his worst work.
October 6, 2012
This was a bit strange, and that's the good part. Mostly pretty boring. Chloe Webb was terrible.
September 19, 2012
The most traditional of Greenaway's films so far (we're seeing them chronologically) and a personal favourite. There are numerous parallels to the Draughtsman's Contract with the big artistic project and the artist dying in the end. A feel bad film ins some ways, but also full of black humour and a film that makes you start to think. We had a good discussion afterwards and I am really looking forward to seeing more of Greenaway's films.
September 10, 2012
I was sick in bed in Edimburgh and this movie was on air, this is how I found about Greenaway's works for the first time and became hypnotized since
½ August 13, 2012
Despite the ridiculously interesting title, "TBOAA" is a tiring and incomprehensible film: it's two hours long, there are very few close-ups and its pacing is desperately slow in the first part. It builds up during the last half, but never becomes better than just decent. Much they did about nothing. I mean, OK, Dennehy is great and the score by Wim Mertens is absolutely excellent (especially the song "Struggle For Pleasure") but these are the only two sensible reasons one would watch this.
June 4, 2012