The Belly of an Architect Reviews

• Jan 17, 2017

One of the greatest, the most beautiful and underrated films of all time.

One of the greatest, the most beautiful and underrated films of all time.

• Nov 14, 2016

The thing about this is that, despite good performances, as far as I can see, it's a lot of nothing. Sure, it's more of a character study than linear story, but, even taking this into consideration, it still doesn't deliver anything that I think is really worth watching. There are some good ideas here, but that's all they are - ideas that never come to fruition.

• Jun 21, 2015

I'd recommend this movie to the architects...

I'd recommend this movie to the architects...

• Jun 14, 2015

A visually striking tale of obsession with a powerful performance by Dennehy, and the usual sexual flourishes from Greenaway.

• May 30, 2015

Peter Greenaway's artistic background reveals itself frame after frame in this taxing tragic drama. However, Greenaway's film isn't half as profound as the Roman legends it strives to revere in its shoddy screenplay. The film charts the neo-classical decline of obsessive architect, Brian Dennehy, mimicking the mopey hypochondria of the very master he's studying. Trouble is, not only is soppy Dennehy hard to take seriously, (with his fuzzy frowns and striking resemblance to Troll 2's Grandpa Seth), but Greenaway's casting-to-character-age ratio is horrendous, and his script is 80% age-gags and adultery. As you can imagine, this combined with atrocious acting is not ideal in a relationship drama which requires complete belief in its characters in order to work. The Belly of An Architect is a pretty picture of a movie; a real pretty picture. But no level of beauty can mask the fact that it features some of the worst flirting and faffing in the history of film. Poop with a painted gold coating; let's hope the lady playing Dennehy's 'much younger' missus was an unpaid intern.

• May 27, 2015

Peter Greenaway's study of an obsession and paranoia is a mixed bag of excess and restraint. These two opposing approaches make for an uneven but interesting film. I've always felt that Greenaway was striving to create an artistically intellectual and more "user friendly" movie. Whatever he was trying to do failed to work for me. It is a good film that never finds a way to engage me.

• Feb 27, 2015

For the Rome visit ... ;)

For the Rome visit ... ;)

• Nov 29, 2014

One of Greenaway's tamer and more accesible works that still carries a great deal of his signature style and intricate allegory. A worthy entry but not a list-topper.

• Feb 15, 2013

ovaj film ne volim. ljudi koji su briljantni u stilizaciji ne treba da se ispovedaju. bar ne pre nego sto Sudija odsvira kraj.

• Feb 05, 2013