The Betsy Reviews

• Sep 02, 2013

Vintage 70s kitsch. A very young Tommy Lee Jones (voted best hair).

Vintage 70s kitsch. A very young Tommy Lee Jones (voted best hair).

• Apr 15, 2012

great story about a car manufacturer similiar to one of the big three, and subtle twists regarding the various struggles to produce a gas efficient car, better than most Tommy Lee Jones movies today

• Jan 06, 2012

One of the most plotless movies ever conceived from a novel...a Harold Robbins novel, that is. It flashes back and forth throughout the movie focusing on Laurence Olivier's character and his career. It has big stars in this movie and even that doesn't make it good enough. It does however show that the actors have great talent when it comes to acting because the end result shows up in the movie. The acting is good, the director not so much and the script is mediocre. It's one of those movies that is worth seeing for believing how bad it truly is.

• Jan 20, 2010

Very entertaining trash, adapted from Harold Robbins' best seller, about family relations and politics in a three generation sect of automobile builders (whose cars look suspiciously like late 1970s AMCs). Still just a soap opera, but a very good one at that, with a wonderful, enegetic cast.

• Oct 05, 2009

Melodramatic rubbish, but fun rubbish. Good sets, costumes and all that, very little regard for accurate period detail. Many over the top performances, but it's entertaining. A bit overlong, a little more editing would have helped out.

• Apr 07, 2009

Watching this atrocity makes one wonder if [i]anyone[/i] involved in the film read the novel.

• Jun 30, 2008

I had the unhappy pleasure of seeing this movie as a child. I had nightmares forever.

• Apr 10, 2008

I seriously don't get how you can have such a cast (olivier, duvall and jones) and blow it anyway...?!

• Oct 14, 2007

Great cast (Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, Laurence Olivier), but poorly acted, directed, and written. Feels like a weak soap opera.

• Aug 31, 2007

:rolleyes: Netflix: August 31, 2007 [url="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/betsy/gallery.php"][img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/31/135431.jpg[/img][/url] [b]My Review:[/b] With all the old bigtime names in this film (Laurence Olivier, Robert Duvall, Kathleen Beller, Tommy Lee Jones, Katharine Ross, Lesley Anne Down, Jane Alexander, and Edward Herrmann) I had high hopes, even though I read the reviews and realized that the average Netflix rating was only 2/5 stars. I was hoping everyone was wrong. Well, after seeing it, I reluctantly give it a rating of 2/10. Something was off. The book was good, and the beautiful mansions and clothes in this were great, but the screenwriter evidently forgot the script and the actors forgot to act, even Laurence Olivier. It had potential, but didn't deliver. There is some full frontal nudity, which I was surprised to see in a 1978 film, but there it was, and some four-letter words too. In the end, none of that mattered. The script was bad, the acting was bad, and although the story was interesting, the movie was boring. My "high hopes" were dashed. [b]SYNOPSIS:[/b] [i]The Betsy[/i] is based on Harold Robbins's sordid potboiler about several generations of an American car manufacturing dynasty, stars Laurence Olivier as 90-year-old Loren Hardeman, who rules the family with an iron fist. The clan is constantly involved in intrigues and affairs ranging from adultery to abuse of power. Although Loren has passed along the family business to his grandson, Loren Hardeman III (Robert Duvall), he has one idea that he is desperate to realize. The Betsy is Loren's dream car, named after his doting great-granddaughter (Kathleen Beller), and he hires Angelo Perino (a young and seductive Tommy Lee Jones) to help him secretly create the economical, efficient vehicle. Angelo is an injured race car driver who diligently works to design the car while seducing Betsy and having an affair with Loren III's mistress (Lesley-Anne Down). But the money-grubbing auto industry isn't too fond of Loren's secret pursuit, and their desire to sabotage him soon sets off more melodramatic action than a family can handle.