Big - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Reviews

½ October 29, 2017
Big: Surprisngly sweet, funny and charming thanks to another stellar preformance by Tom Hanks.
September 28, 2017
BIG works well with such a small, easy-to-understand story and a prime classic example of Tom Hanks' wonderful contribution to Hollywood.
September 16, 2017
3 1/2 stars!

Classic film!
September 7, 2017
Phenomenally structured, and incredibly funny. Every time I watch "Big" I can't help giggling like a toddler the whole way through. This is pure cinematic joy.
August 15, 2017
Big is a coming-of-age-&-then-regretting-it tale. In the beginning, it's sappy, stupid & generic...but once Hanks shows up? Pure gold. This definitely isn't hanks best movie, but it's maybe his greatest performance; he's so great at being a kid, but is even better as kid pretending to be an adult. They so perfectly captures the sweet mischievousness and naïve awkwardness of a teenage boy in an adult world.
½ August 8, 2017
I loved this movie as a kid!
August 1, 2017
While the ending is always Big is a fun time at the movies. With another great performance by Tom Hanks.
½ July 25, 2017
Whenever I watch this movie, I feel like the first time (as if I were a little child, paradoxically), because it has a lot of meaning inside of a tiny length. You can almost taste its sweetness without getting tired of it. That's what we are supposed to feel. One of Tom Hanks' best films hands down.
July 14, 2017
A sweet, slightly sappy but not overdone, effort which showcased Tom Hanks acting and Penny Marshall's abilities as a director.
July 6, 2017
I think everyone at some point in their childhood has wished they were an adult so they can do something that they weren't able to do at the time. "Big" takes this concept head on and delivers an undeniably fun and sweet movie. Tom Hanks is truly great in this movie. He really does act like a kid stuck inside an adult's body and it is completely believable. His touching and hilarious performance make this a true gem. I also feel that the movie doesn't go the predictable route and the message is more complex than other movies of this sort. It's a movie that will always be a classic. It's one that I think everyone can enjoy and emotionally resonate with.
June 26, 2017
Big is a classic movie. It's a perfect movie. There are things in it that everyone can enjoy. With humor, charm, and wit, this is what true classic movies are made of. A+
May 20, 2017
Certainly the most charming of the switcheroo youth-to-adult (or vice versa) films that came out in the late 90's thanks primarily to Hanks. Loses a bit of momentum in the second half but nicely done overall.
April 21, 2017
Tom Hanks is a fucking national treasure. That's just the way it is, as this is fact, it's not a matter of opinion or up to debate. If you disagree with me, you are DB Cooper, the Zodiac killer and a yellow terrorist communist who works for ISIS. You're, basically, the worst person on earth. Seriously though, I do love me some Tom Hanks. I don't think he really gets enough credit for being a truly tremendous comedic actor. This is probably a result of the fact that, outside of a few films, Hanks has pretty much stuck to more dramatic roles since he made the transition to serious actor in the 90s. He's obviously still done comedies here and there, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail and The Ladykillers come to mind, but, other than the latter, none of those films really compare to his 80s output, at least in terms of the manic comedic performances he gave in, say, The Money Pit (which was a great performance). But I digress, I don't really remember seeing Big in its entirety. Much like a lot of these classic 80s movies, or many movies for that matter, I remember catching glimpses of it here and there on TV, but I never actually sat down and watched it for good. Not a big fan of watching movies on cable TV, unless it's an HBO-type channel, simply cause of the fact that they're edited down and commercials. And when I watch a movie, I like to watch it as it was intended or, at the very least, since several directors have released their preferred cuts of their films on DVD, as it was when it first came out in theaters. Anyway, I finally got the chance to watch this in one sitting and I don't know what I think of this. It's certainly a good movie, but is it a very good movie? I don't know, I'll come to that determination as I write out this review. If I'm being honest, this is one of those movies that I probably would have enjoyed more closer to when it was released. But this movie was released the first day of 1988 and I was born in February, so there you go. You know what I mean. Part of me feels that this is just another one of those movies that time has played its wicked game on. It's certainly a good movie to watch, even to this day, but I think its impact has sort of lessened the more time has passed. And not to mention the fact that, to this day, the romance between Susan and Josh just feels so fucking odd and, honestly, kinda wrong. I get the whole idea, Susan has no idea that Josh was a 13-year-old boy stuck in a 31-year-old man's body (Hanks' age at the time of this film's release). But it's still so odd seeing it. It's a whole coming-of-age story, that's for damn sure. At the very least, the romance between Josh and Susan, for 80s rom-com standards, feels more believable than, say, the romance between the leads in Mannequin. Susan is fed up with the whole stuffy executive types and Josh, who behaves pretty much like a man-child, who plays around isn't afraid to get silly, is appealing to Susan. At least that part of the movie worked. What I felt didn't work was how Josh got to be big in the first place. He went to this carnival and he couldn't get on the ride because he was too small. Therefore he made a wish, at this Zoltar machine, that he wanted to be big. I realize that he's a kid, but I'd have liked there to have been more of a reason for him to wanna make this wish. I guess you could say that he could also date his crush if he was big, but they don't really make that obvious as one of the reasons why he made this wish. It doesn't really matter, in the long run, all that matters is turning Josh into an adult. This is, obviously, when the movie certainly picks up. Like I said earlier, this is a good movie, I had a really good time watching it. It's obviously not a complex movie, but it wasn't meant to be. Not every film can explore the more dramatic issues at the core of someone who truly goes through something like this. Not that anyone would, of course, but you know what I mean. I've always maintained the fact that films like this, more lighthearted and family friendly flicks, need to exist just as much as the arthouse films do. You gotta maintain a balance. The most memorable scene in the film would, obviously, have to be the piano floor mat scene. It's not the best scene in the movie, for sure, but it's certainly the most memorable one. It's a pretty cool scene regardless. Tom Hanks is great here, what a fucking surprise huh? He's perfect for the role because he's always had an everyman quality about him, but he's certainly not afraid to be goofy. The character in this movie seems more like Tom Hanks than, realistically speaking, any other character he's ever played. Not that he's a literal man-child, but just that he's a person who's not afraid to get outright goofy when he needs to. So, yes, he's great here. Elizabeth Perkins is good as well. The cast is strong all around, even if none of them have any real depth. This a well-written movie, for sure, the characters are likable, but they also do a good enough job at making you care about them. They don't do a great job, mind you, but they do it better than every Transformers film in existence. Having written this review, I honestly don't feel comfortable giving this film 3.5 stars. I can see how people would see this as a really good movie, but I felt it was missing more consistent laughs in order to get to that level. As it stands, this is still a good movie that I would certainly recommend if you've never seen it. It's good, Tom Hanks is great and the story is sweet.
April 18, 2017
Launching Tom Hanks into the big time, no pun intended, and still one of the most charming comedies ever made, Big starts slow and understated, but when it finds its stride its off like a shot. The principal cast all shine in their respective roles, especially Mr. Hanks & Elizabeth Perkins, a career woman who lets her guard down and allows our hero into her heart. It's not mawkish, earns its emotional moments and never fails to put a smile on your face. The sheer delight of seeing the adult world examined through a child's eye is great concept observed in wonderful detail, especially when his new life begins to get on top of him. I was quite shocked by the story the lead character tells his family to explain his absence, which is completely out of nowhere and quite dark in contrast to the films otherwise light-hearted ton, but it doesn't interfere with the fun this movie doles out in spades, and certainly didn't hamper my enjoyment of it. It's highly acclaimed for a good reason, and you should see it at the first given opportunity.
½ March 20, 2017
This movie was really good, actually. I saw it a while ago. A very funny Tom Hanks performance. Really hilarious and cool.
March 18, 2017
Superb. Potentially biased as I love this film.
February 7, 2017
Great film. Seen loads of times how can you not love big. Really film y with a great message
½ January 15, 2017
Big is touching, heartfelt and cleverly realistic in the way Tom Hanks acts. His performance is fantastic both seriously and comedically. The story line is great and the comedy well timed. It's as if the film was made by 13 year old children, but in an intelligent, mature manor.
January 10, 2017
Tom Hanks carries this film as child trying to figure out the adult world. A great reminder to never take anything too seriously
January 5, 2017