Big Hero 6 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Hero 6 Reviews

½ January 12, 2017
At first I really loved this movie, and I still like it, but not as much as I did before. I suppose I let my love for Disney prevent me from thinking less of it. Now, as I've stated, I still do really enjoy this movie. I still love the animation, I still enjoy the comedy, I still enjoy the two main characters, mostly Baymax, and it has a lot of heart, However, the predictable and cliched nature of the narrative bothers me a little more than before. It just doesn't deliver what you'd expect from a combination of Disney and Marvel. It's not a bad story or anything, but it just didn't seem that the writers really tried to tell a unique and compelling story. It borrows elements from both Disney and superhero films, and again, it's so predictable. The other problem that bothers me more is the side characters, Honey Lemon, Wasabi, GoGo and Fred. I just don't find them really interesting. They're all just one-dimensional. They deliver some nice laughs and their designs are great, and their powers are cool, but as actual characters they just don't deliver. I don't hate them, but they don't have much development, and I don't even really think Hiro is one of Disney's most interesting protagonists, but I still like him. I guess this is why superhero team movies don't always work, because there are too many characters to focus on. A film like The Avengers works because the characters all had their own films, so when they come together, it's more believable. Even The Incredibles works better because we see them interact and work off each other. The only characters that have development in their relationship in Big Hero 6 are Hiro and Baymax. The relationship between them is honestly a lot more engaging than anything superhero-related. The film, like I said, is pretty predictable. The villain isn't very surprising. The action scenes are fun, but they don't pull me in like the action in The Incredibles. I just wish the film had a better story and better side characters, especially since it's based on an obscure Marvel property. I also liked Tadashi, but I wish he was in the film longer. His death didn't have much of an impact. I was sad, and I liked him and Hiro's relationship, but still. It would've been great if the film started off with them as children. Heck, it would've been great if all of the characters, except Baymax, were young. We could see Hiro and Tadashi's childhood, perhaps show how their parents died, see their reactions. Maybe show Hiro and Tadashi bonding, have them meet the rest of the characters, form a strong circle of friends. Then have them all grow up together and go to school. Then it could cut to years later with Tadashi going to college with Honey Lemon, Wasabi, GoGo and Fred while Hiro does illegal robot fights and stuff, and proceed from there. Wouldn't that have been so much better? I mean, the film is based on a very obscure Marvel property, so they were free to do pretty much anything they want, but I guess copyright issues got in the way. I read what happens in the comics and it's a lot more interesting than what happens in this movie. I really felt that the film played it too safe. I wish it had a little more edge too it. Superhero movies have been making lots of progress lately with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I wish this movie was a little more like their movies. I'm aware that this film is more kid-friendly, but I'm sure a lot of kids love these Marvel movies, which are over two hours long, and Disney's gone to dark, uncomfortable places before, so why couldn't this? I also really wanted to see more of San Fransokyo. Blending San Francisco and Tokyo together was a genius idea, but all the beauty of the city is mostly shown from a broad view. We don't actually get see what's inside and explore. So yeah, I don't love the film as much as I did before. However, that doesn't mean that I don't like it. I'm very forgiving, and I still think it's a nice, entertaining film. I love the animation. I like Hiro and Baymax, their relationship, the comedy, and the heart. I also still love the moral about the importance of emotional support in one's time of need, which I hold to a high regard. So, in the end, I still like Big Hero 6, just not as much as I used to. Despite the many issues I have with it, I still think it's an enjoyable movie. Not good, not bad, just all right. Not Disney's best, but a nice and fun family film that's a nice addition to the Disney Canon.
January 11, 2017
Great animated movie and nice story that was entertaining for the whole family. Look forward to the next one
½ January 10, 2017
Amazing Disney movie. Refreshing, with a great story and feels.
January 10, 2017
Surprisingly for animation with a twist in the middle, you'll find Big Hero 6 pretty enjoyable!
January 8, 2017
Gotta love it when he fist bumps and makes the noise
½ January 8, 2017
Disney has managed to create a fresh, animated superhero film that succeeds to the levels of "The Incredibles". You will laugh, you will cry, you will not be bored out of your mind. What's really special is that Big Hero 6 brings in themes of love, family, and growing up in this fun adventure that will easily connect with the kids and adults.
January 6, 2017
one of the best films this year i loved baymax
January 6, 2017
In a time where the movie industry is saturated with superhero movies, "Big Hero 6" feels like a much needed breathe of fresh air.
December 28, 2016
A somewhat Scooby-Doo like plot can definitely be forgiven with the introduction of smart yet cool characters displaying that learning and inventing can be fun not to mention the adorable Baymax! Not only this, the underlying theme of loss and grief are portrayed beautifully in a way in which all ages can relate and understand - definitely a touching yet entertaining movie.
December 23, 2016
Big Hero 6 is just as beautifully animated as fans of Disney movies have come to expect...as well as packed full of thrilling action on par with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, full of laughs, boasting amazing voice acting and emotional drama especially early on in the film when our main protagonist loses his older brother in a tragic accident.
½ December 20, 2016
It is one of the best animated superhero films since The Incredibles. A conventional but fun, action-packed and heartfelt story, great humour, excellent animation and memorable characters. Must-watch for everyone else including Disney fans and superhero comic book fans. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
½ December 19, 2016
It's better than half the marvel movies!
December 9, 2016
A lot of fun, and surprisingly emotional for a film that relies mostly on laughs and action.
December 4, 2016
Better than I expected. A real roller coaster ride.
December 1, 2016
Put lovable characters, sad but exciting plot, and humor for kids and adults you get Disney's Big Hero 6! Mavel fans, you'll love it.
November 22, 2016
Like all other Disney films, Big Hero Six is great animation and strongly developed characters.
November 18, 2016
Touching, cute, funny, and action packed. Big Hero 6 is a smart animated twist on the superhero genre while still including elements that makes them great.
November 14, 2016
Awesome ! Amazing story, development of characters, and I hope they make a sequel.
November 14, 2016
Beautiful animation. Sweet and funny.
½ November 13, 2016
89% Tomatometer (2o16.11) for what???