Black Dog - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Dog Reviews

August 15, 2016
It was ok. The plot was generic but it had very good actors and it was decently fun movie with some good vehicular moments.
½ June 2, 2015
A fun action packed late 90's movie. It's cheesy but I fuckin' love it. Not as a Independence Day or The Rock or other cheesy high octane action films of the decade but still a lot of fun. Worth a watch.
December 13, 2014
I honestly wasn't expecting too much from this movie, but for what I got I was entertained and never bored. BLACK DOG is a fairly standard late-90's B-grade action movie, but its colorful characters help it to transcend the genre cliches and make it somewhat memorable. The basic plot is that Jack Crews (Patrick Swayze) is in need of some extra money and agrees to take a truck-driving job transporting some goods. Little does he know that it's some illegal guns, and soon he has people on his trail as he tries to make the delivery.

I've never been too much of a Patrick Swayze fan, mostly because I don't think he can act that well. He has some charisma, for sure, but the only movie I've really enjoyed him in prior to this was ROAD HOUSE. Here, he doesn't get that kind of a role to play, but thankfully the supporting players pick up the slack and make the movie worth watching. Of those cast members, the most entertaining were Meat Loaf as a Bible-quoting madman, and Charles Dutton and Stephen Tobolowsky as a bickering FBI and ATF agent, respectively. Their short scene that opens the film is, in my opinion, the best part and sort of sets the tone for what follows, at least when they're onscreen. Randy Travis also has a supporting role, but all they can do with him is make jokes and references to his real-life career as a country singer.

In general, the acting was decent for this type of movie. The action, of course, was well-done. By virtue of being produced before Hollywood became obsessed with CGI and shaky-cam, this film features real stunts, real explosions and crisp, clean action sequences done with some flair. Yes, having cars and trucks explode on impact in a collision is ridiculous, but it's also ridiculously entertaining to watch. Most importantly, the truck-driving sequences were filmed in an interesting way, and actually on the highway. Other positives I can think of are a suitably bombastic score and some gentle soundtrack cuts courtesy of Randy Travis. I don't really care for country music, but he's one person I can tolerate.

The negative aspects I can mention are all fairly standard for the genre. There's a lot of plot holes, story threads that aren't followed up on (or at least satisfactorily), and of course the premise. Part of this can be chalked up to the run time. At 89 minutes, it is a little light on story and character development, but then again it didn't exactly need to be complex. Overall, this was much more fun than I was anticipating. It's by no means a good movie, but it's pretty entertaining for what it is. When all is said and done, there's a lot worse ways to spend your time. Also, they do explain what the title means, in case you were wondering.
September 5, 2014
Unwatchable even for a meat loaf fan
August 9, 2014
perfect action film for the mother truckers that are inside of us
½ June 2, 2014
Road House in a tractor and trailer pretty much but with more of a complex story, characters and explosions in it. Swayze is kind of bored but the supporting cast including musicians Randy Travis and Meat Loaf (Who steals the film as a crazy underground crime lord who's obsessed with the bible for some odd reason,) make it worth watching. It's a very cheap movie though and you can feel how the lack of money hurt the film. Ten years earlier in Patrick's heyday this would have had at least 5 million more and had a bigger release, but for what it is it isn't too bad. Be prepared for a slow burner but with satisfying action.
March 30, 2014
A 40-ton truck is a lethal weapon and veteran driver Jack Crews (Patrick Swayze) knows how to use it. Desperate for cash, he's got one last delivery to make. The trip's barely begun when he and partner Earl (Randy Travis) discover they've been set up and are being chased by Red (Meat Loaf), a relentless fanatic who's as deadly as he is greedy. Now, with his family, his life and his freedom on the line, Jack's going to buckle up, put the pedal down and show Red and the Feds a thing or two about road rage. After being double-crossed and rudely underestimated, Jack and Earl shift gears, becoming a two-man wrecking crew, trucking down the highway blazing a trail of diesel-powered destruction.

also stars Gabriel Casseus, Brian Vincent, Brenda Strong, Graham Beckel, Stephen Tobolowsky and Charles S. Dutton.

directed by Kevin Hooks.
November 24, 2013
I really liked the action. It's a great movie to be from the latest 90's.
September 16, 2013
A really great action movie. Patrick Swayze is outstanding performances of a lifetime. If you are fans of action movies this is a good movie to watch.
½ August 8, 2013
Before the "Fast and the Furious" franchise came along and made fancy driving fashionable at the moves again, there was "Black Dog", an exceedingly dumb and cliche-ridden action movie centered around over-the-road truckers. Patrick Swayze has admittedly made more than his fair share of turkeys during his career, but a lot of them like "Roadhouse" have been so enjoyably bad they have achieved cult status. This film is just bad, and it takes itself way too seriously.

It's sorely lacking in the whimsical exaggeration that made so many of his earlier cheese-fests such winners, and the direction is clunky. Kevin Hooks got his start directing television episodes, and judging from most of his theatrical features, TV is clearly where he belongs. Granted it doesn't help your action film when all of the chase scenes involve big rigs topping out around 45 miles per hour.

The story is a collection of cliches assembled from other films, and I firmly believe that this does not contain one original thought or line of dialogue. Swayze himself is disappointing as well with his Terminator haircut, as he does not appear to be in on the joke. The bad guys are dull and uninteresting as well, with only Meatloaf showing some life here, but he's not very menacing. The picture is not fun at all, yet it's impossible to take him seriously.

You have to kind of admire a film that is this brain-dead, but did "Black Dog" really have to be this dull too? It just goes to show you that the Swayze magic for turning the ridiculous into pure cinematic gold does have its limitations.
August 4, 2013
an really good movie
July 13, 2013
a good father and son movie to watch any day
May 28, 2013
If you like the cast, then go for it, otherwise this is just another flop.
½ April 30, 2013
I have always enjoyed this movie... I don't know why it got such bad reviews...
February 5, 2013
this movie rocks! HAHA!
January 29, 2013
If you like low-budget cheese with over-acting and poor special effects with has-beens n' never-weres, which I definitely do, this is great 2am entertainment. It ain't "Gone With The Wind" but I wouldn't want it to be anyway.
January 9, 2013
Ex con jack crews takes on a mission of driving a truck from Atlanta to New Jersey when he finds out he is about to lose his house. What he does not know and soon finds out that what he is hauling is a truck load of illegal guns. He also gets chased down by red a bible spouting man wanting to stop the truck from getting to its destination and taking the guns for himself. Great movie as crews fights for his life and his family because his wife and daughter also get kidnapped. Patrick Swayze is awesome in this movie. I always liked him and it is a Shame he is no longer with us. Meatloaf is in the movie too. must of figured out his music is crap and went into acting. and also randy travis was in this too. The action is so intense as well as the truck chasing scenes and wrecks. It is totally amazing. That was done of the best vehicle chasing scenes that I have ever seen. This was a totally exciting action movie.
½ December 15, 2012
Though it does have good action and it is entertaining in a mindless way it is pretty much crap.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
½ December 2, 2012
So does anyone out there doubt karma? Patrick Swayze was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Just want to throw that out there.