Black Hawk Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Hawk Down Reviews

May 21, 2017
My Favorite Ridley Scott Film Is 2000's Gladiator.
May 19, 2017
This is an intense and unforgettable movie about a terrible battle.
May 12, 2017
Ridley Scott's "Black Hawk Down" is a relentless military movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. I think it tells a pretty compelling story and does an overall good job of making you care about the characters. I do feel the structure of the movie does feel a bit repetitive in places but I can't complain much about that since it is inspired by true events. I think if you're a fan of realistic, brutal, fast paced military movies, this is one you should definitely check out. It dives into a conflict that I didn't really know all that much about. It's a well-made and non stop thrill ride that I definitely enjoyed.
½ April 17, 2017
Similar to The Longest Day and Saving Private Ryan before it, this movie shows the horror that is war, the heroism inherent in all of us and the randomness with which death takes us with a conclusion that we wage war not for glory, but to protect our friends.
April 7, 2017
Strong movie - great cinematography, wonderful soundtrack, well acted from start to finish.
April 3, 2017
Best Director!? You've got to be kidding. There's 1 1/2+ hours of nothing but bullets, bombs, and blood. how creative is that? There's no story here. War is hell? Well, duh? There is not one character that is ever fleshed out, that you feel like you know. (And it is ALL hims. I can't remember a womanizer the whole movie!). There are some you feel like you'd like to know, but you're never given the chance.
½ March 31, 2017
It feels exactly like it is. A Saving Private Ryan clone, only missing the great characters and solid story that made Saving Private Ryan such a compelling movie.
½ March 4, 2017
gamnooo voobshe, tok aktery norm
February 28, 2017
Absolutely stunning and visceral portrayal of war. Cinematography, editing and sound design combine to really sit you in the midst of battle. Ensemble cast is top notch and Hans Zimmer is as always brilliant. One of Ridley Scotts best.
½ February 19, 2017
Riddle scott made a good job at directing this real war event that ended in a Pyrrhic victory for the Americans, they lost the battle with 19 KIA but still won the war after having to leave the country. The general who ordered this attack was understimating the field of batlle with serious lack of intel. The acting is farly good, specially by Bana, McGregor and Hartnett. Not a must see but very good entertainment.
February 7, 2017
This is a solid war film. There's not much one can say about it other than if you like modern war movies you'll probably enjoy this one.
January 22, 2017
An excellent, excellent war movie, up with there with The Hurt Locker. it's as gritty and violent as they come. Just don't watch it for the characters, there's not a whole lot of depth to them. Also the movie makes very little effort to humanize the Somalian adversaries.
December 20, 2016
I couldn't keep up with the characters. I hear it is really good, though. I'll give it another chance soon enough.
½ December 19, 2016
Beautiful war movie, with a cast put to the test, came out gloriously for a film directed by a master in the genre live action: Ridley Scott
½ December 4, 2016
The fair telling of an important conflict.
November 27, 2016
One of the best military movies ever made.
November 20, 2016
Definitely one of the more greater war/military movies. This conflict seems to be forgotten by the American public but is wonderfully put on screen.
½ October 25, 2016
Black Hawk Down is a gritty, intense, and graphic depiction of the 1993 Battle of Mogadishu. I've seen my fair share of war movies in the past few months, and this was one that felt extremely authentic. I appreciate how much effort they put into making it realistic, and I thought the presentation of the overwhelming amount of opposition they faced was done well. You felt like the odds were heavily stacked against these soldiers, and that made the entire thing harrowing. For two and a half hours we watch as dozens and dozens of now-famous actors run around, fire guns, and shout at one another. It's such an unrelenting assault on the senses that I did not get to know the characters names let alone their personalities. I was constantly thinking of them solely as the actor who played them. In addition, the frenetic nature of the action made it difficult to figure out where people were within the city and in relation to one another. Perhaps the darkest part of this film is how it dehumanizes the Somali people. In many ways I felt like I was watching a zombie movie or something like that, considering how mindlessly evil they made the enemy. It was to the point that you are expected to cheer when the helicopters swoop in and start slaughtering dozens of men with each sweep. Then they plaster the numbers at the end of total lives lost and we see the relatively small number of American deaths and the massive number of Somali deaths, and I just find myself wondering why they are even counting their deaths considering how glorious they made the deaths appear in the movie. It's still a well-made film, and I was definitely not bored by it, but I wish they made some different choices in the way the story was told.
October 24, 2016
Whenever someone asks the question, "What movie do you watch and cry every time?" Normally I would say 13 Going On 30 (I'm kidding) but sometimes I would say Black Hawk Down. This is the closest thing to a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare movie. Ridley Scott does an amazing job with the set-pieces and the intensity. You really feel the thrill when the Hummers drive through the streets while Militia fire at them from every angle. Watching this film now, you recognize so many people. Sure I always noticed William Fichtner, Ewan McGregor, Eric Bana and Orlando Bloom, but now I recognize Jeremy Piven, Tom Hardy and Ty Burrell (The father from Modern Family). One hell of a cast in one hell of an intense war film. One of my all-time favourites!
September 28, 2016
All Hollywoodized chaos and action with very little explanation and virtually no story. Some true-story movies are hard to watch because of their subject matter and the way it is portrayed; Schindler's List being a prime example of a 'hard to watch' movie done right. The contrast: some true-story movies are hard to watch because of their display of excessive violence and brutality without much of a purpose; Black Hawk Down being a prime example of the latter.