Blade Runner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blade Runner Reviews

January 16, 2017
Stereotypical 80's dark new-wave
January 13, 2017
I feel the movie is different from most sci-fi stories and is unique enough to warrant a watch. I think the world is constructed creatively and the movie has big ideas. I just feel like for the most part, I didn't think a whole lot happened in the movie and I felt the pacing wasn't always the best. I'm probably with the minority on this one, but I don't see why this is one is considered one of the best movies in the genre. It is definitely original, but there are better sci-fi movies and better movies that Ridley Scott has made out there.
January 9, 2017
5/5. Need I say more?
January 7, 2017
Despite the slow pace of the film, the whole concept of Blade Runner is definitely ahead of its time. Excellent!
January 3, 2017
Blade Runner does a good job of showing a future utterly devoid of hope, but it is rather depressing. Undoubtedly an impressive achievement in set design and visuals, Blade Runner otherwise possesses few elements designed to effectively capture (and subsequently hold) the viewer's interest over the course of its bloated 117-minute running time. While the film is visually stunning, there are almost no characters for the audience to identify with or sympathize with. It looks fabulous, it uses special effects to create a new world of its own, but it is thin in its human story. They are mostly cold and detached. The synth-heavy score by Vangelis only exacerbates the film's many problems, while the sluggish pace succeeds only in keeping the viewer at arm's length (the protracted finale is, to put it mildly, awfully anti-climactic). I have been aware of the film and its reputation for years, however I had never been that interested in seeing it, but I felt obliged to see it, I'd always get looks and utterances of mock outrage when I said I hadn't seen it. Well, now I have, and next time I can reply with 'Yes, I have seen it, and it's one of the most overrated films I have ever seen.' That Blade Runner is now considered a landmark achievement within the science fiction genre is nothing short of baffling, with the frustratingly ambiguous conclusion only cementing the film's status as a hopelessly overrated piece of work.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
January 3, 2017
Magnífica, una obra maestra. Pero mi apreciación es objetiva. Desde afuerita. Los futuros distópicos con naves espaciales y mucha acción no son lo mío. 5.5/10
January 1, 2017
Philip Marlowe isn't too impressed with his job, which is turning off toasters, until one beauty of a toaster saves his life. Can a man fall in love with a toaster? And will the toaster love him back? Ridley Scott's interpretation of the future may be overrated, but is positively thick with noir atmosphere and foreboding. And one of my personal favs.
December 31, 2016
Masked behind the smog-ridden streets of 2019 Los Angeles, the neon lit shops, the hum of the cars that glide by, Blade Runner is a story of humanity. Based on Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, the role of the computerized replicants that inhabit Ridley Scott's iteration of the future is ultimately to reinforce many humanistic ideas, like the longevity of life and the acceptance of death. In fact, the ideals of the humans and the replicants are flipped in the way that they would presumably be in the real world. Rick Deckard, our leading man, is cynical and weary, not unlike the heroes of the film noir of old, and the streets of Los Angeles lack a sense of community and are all-around cold, and not just from the constant rain. In contrast, the four replicants Deckard is hired to "retire" all have deeply human beliefs: they work together, and want nothing more than the ability to continue with their lives and witness new things. This goes not only for the quartet, but for Rachael, another replicant who is convinced she is human: it's through her, a technological creation, that Deckard is ironically able to recapture his own sense of humanity.

It's a deliberately slow-moving film because of all this, and although that can sometimes be a bit of a drag, it's the most necessary way to tell such a thoughtful story. Aside from being a deconstruction of humanity, it's very much a police procedural at its core: as Deckard puts together the pieces to finding himself, he in turn puts together the pieces to finding the replicants. In that, Scott captures this story in a manner reminiscent of the aforementioned film noir. Director of photography Jordan Cronenweth films the many conversations in dark rooms, with characters masked behind shadows. The action sequences, in which Deckard actually has a chance to retire one of the replicants, run just long as they should, and then the film slows back down to focus on the characters and the themes. It's this calmness, paired with everything it has to say about life and humanity and technology, that makes Blade Runner such a triumph of filmmaking.
December 28, 2016
bizzare is an understatement amazing set design very dark setting mixed with neon lighting harrison fords performance is utterly fantastic twists you dont see coming kept me guessing even when the credits rolled
December 22, 2016
A boring, overly complex, blunt and uninteresting science fiction film that lacks action or thrills, Blade Runner benefits from Harrison Ford's performance and Ridley Scott's visionary direction, but suffers to deliver on any other entertainment levels.
½ December 22, 2016
The film is no doubt ahead of its time and its art. But movies are story telling for me, I don't like the drag. It's like the best 3 course meal but in between each course is an hour long wait.
½ December 19, 2016
I'm 42, this was in my era for great cult classics and I had never seen this movie. I decided to see what made it a cult hit and rented it, and found it to be sooo slow and uninteresting. Each scene took an eternity, I found myself dozing off occasionally.
December 17, 2016
My favorite film, provided as a reference point for all my reviews. Moody space noir, perfectly acted by a stellar cast, directed by the amazing Ridley Scott, with practical FX that even today look better than most of the CGI out there today.
November 22, 2016
hands down one of the finest science fiction films of all time.
November 12, 2016
Imteresting. Definitely not what I was expecting.
½ November 11, 2016
It's far from being a great movie, but Blade Runner has unforgettable visuals that have inspired every sci-fi director today. This is a movie that had an impact on cinema and I respect that, even if it gives up it's writing for it's visuals.
½ October 30, 2016
Blade Runner is everyone's favorite movie that people love to delude themselves into thinking they actually like due social conditioning of the cult of nostalgia. They Live is a cult classic worthy of praise that holds up, while Blade Runner is a do-do sandwich that some clever nerd bamboozled well intention idiots to thinking it's in fact not shit, but a CLASSIC! The emperor has no clothes. Maybe one day people who LOVE this movie will wake up and realizes they've been playing themselves this whole time.
½ October 19, 2016
Do androids dream of electric sheep? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But, Blade Runner achieves as cinema's earliest examples of eccentric robots capable of feeling empathy. And by the end of the film, the viewer is left deciding on who is more capable of doing so much evil, humans or robots?
October 17, 2016
All I need to say is go and watch the movie. Then watch it again because trust me, you're gonna want to.
October 10, 2016
Sure its visuals and audio scream eighties, but that doesn't undermine the influence of this film, whose visuals and philosophies still inspire science fiction to this day.