Blade Runner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blade Runner Reviews

½ November 19, 2017
I saw Blade Runner 1 or 2 times in late 90s, and only watched the "Final Cut" now. Technically is a major achievement, an iconic as unusual piece of the sci-fi genre. It's major problem is related with the script and the rythm and flow of some scenes...
½ November 18, 2017
Great and realistic AI film, with a classic storyline with realistic conclusions. Original AI plot that could actually be a good example of the future.
November 15, 2017
A visual spectical and based on supurb source material! Every cut of this movie speaks a slightly different message but all tell of a reality that swiftly approaches as we delve deeper into genetic engineering.
November 14, 2017
Visually dazzling and technically impeccable, but far from being a masterpiece, Blade Runner maybe lost some weight because of his slow pace, but overall is a profound study of human and robot as society like you never see before. Ridley Scott create imersive world that needs to be expanded. (4/5)
November 14, 2017
My 2nd favorite film of all time and the greatest science fiction film ever made! It's one of the most poignant, thought-provoking, and visually captivating films you will ever see. It's a masterpiece on almost every level!
November 13, 2017
I have to admit that the narrative of Blade Runner doesn't do much for me. No character is particularly likable or unlikable in a way that I could really engage with. It certainly feels like the film is trying to say something, though I can't tell if I'm too dumb or the message is too vaguely presented. That aside, I as a fan of science fiction, I think the look of Blade Runner's L.A. is fantastic, with effects and models that still look great to this day. I'll always appreciate it for its visuals. And who knows, maybe with time I'll come to appreciate it for its higher concept elements as well.
November 11, 2017
One of the best science fiction films ever made. My only problems with this movie are that I found the pacing to be on and off at times, and I didn't find the romance between Deckard and Rachael convincing. But apart from that, Blade Runner is a stunning sci-fi flick with stellar production design and an awesome performance from Harrison Ford.
½ November 7, 2017
The set design can look a little dated in places but for the most part Scott has constructed a fuckin' rad neo noir that benefits from a blend of superb direction and a creatively intense premise by Phillip K. Dick.
November 5, 2017
This is a review of the final cut.
Spoilers:

Blade Runner is a very odd film to talk about. This film is often hailed as a classic piece of cinema. If you look on a list of the best movies of all time it's likely to appear on there. However a lot of people either think of Blade Runner as average or even bad. It's weird, opinions on this film are really split. Blade Runner is in my opinion a great movie, it's not perfect but I do really like it and think the gold out-ways the bad. I think the biggest positive is the look of the film. This movie is over 35 years old and yet it's still a visual masterpiece. The cinematography is excellent as every shot looks beautiful. Some of the effects may be dated but a lot of them still really hold up, especially the designs of sets and characters. The film also sounds amazing. A lot of the scenes are enhanced by the beautiful synth score which perfectly fits the atmosphere the film builds. The sound design and mixing is all amazing, some may not pick up on it but all the vehicles and machines sound distinct and unique. Ridley Scott really did a fantastic job directing the film, it's a technical marvel and one of the best looking sci fi movies of all time. The film is a noire sci fi and I think it creates a good atmosphere and sense of mystery throughout. The world of the film feels like a classic noire with plenty of sci fi elements, but it isn't a squeaky clean futuristic world it's gritty and harsh, filled with consumerism and dodgy machines. While Blade Runner does have brilliant direction a lot of people complain about the performances. Harrison Ford is often criticised for his performance but personally I think he's really good. It's a different role for Ford as he isn't playing a charismatic character like Han Solo or Indiana Jones, he's a broken and sad character that has a very negative approach to the world. Ford does a really good job and while at times he sounds bored he's still really good. Sean Young stars as Rachel and she's good also. I can't admit I've seen her in much else but here's she's good and does a good job at selling her emotional scenes. Rutger Haur plays the villain Roy Batty and he gives easily the best performance. He's really creepy and menacing performance throughout, he's a great villain but at the end he gives a surprisingly emotional performance and you can't help but feel sorry for him. The problem with Blade Runner is that while it's really good the first 30 minutes are rather slow paced. They are interesting but very slow paced which can put people off. Also there's a very controversial scene of Deckard forcing himself on Rachel that is very uncomfortable and a scene I wish had been taken out of the film. Without a doubt the most talked about element of the film is the question of whether Deckard is a replicant or not. For being such an infamous question of cinema it's weird that the film doesn't really address it. The final cut of the film gives the somewhat conclusive answer that he is, due to Gaff leaving Deckard an origami unicorn as he knows that Deckard dreams of the unicorn. Also there's a scene in which Deckard is talking to Rachel and while he may be out of focus you can still see his eyes flash yellow, which is something the eyes of the other replicants do. I'm interested to see whether Blade Runner 2049 answers this question. Blade Runner is a really good film, it's very flawed but it's really great. A-
November 4, 2017
While a Sci-Fi classic, this film might bore those who are not fans of the Sci-Fi genre.
November 3, 2017
Much sound but no output !
November 1, 2017
Science Fiction epic about robot humans who are on the run from the police. Visually I still enjoy watching this movie. The idea's they came up with are still good today. However, Ridley Scott stays concentrated on the street scenes too much and it becomes a bit tedeous sometimes. The story is really good. Its not an actors movie, its mostly visual, which is why Harrison Ford never admits it but he doesn't like this movie. Good but not great.
½ October 30, 2017
Got to some interesting ideas, and liked the sets, and environment of 2019 LA. Problem is it feels all a little hollow, never truly getting under the skin of its characters nor its subject matter.
½ October 30, 2017
I decided to watch the movie after hearing about the new Blade Runner 2049. I thought the idea of Future, graphics and special effect included, were really well conceived considering the fact that the movie was made in the 80's. An obvious dystopian reality that highlights darkness and depression, consequences of all the bad choices, hence the tech noir distinction.
October 30, 2017
An under-appreciated masterpiece that was way ahead of its time. In the style of a futuristic noir, it asks a question that still needs answering: What makes us human?
October 28, 2017
Absolutely fantastic! One of the best movies I've ever seen. Every actor - from Ford down to even the bit players - give performances that are all just so seamlessly a part of a cinematic masterpiece. And the visuals! You can just feel the dank and decay. As some one said in their review - a transcendent film.
½ October 28, 2017
Re-viewing the original "Blade Runner" was an anodyne from a general exhaustion with popular films, the sameness of every preview I see, and the substitution of CGI for character development. Is it possible to have drama without special effects? It's as if we are so numbed out that we forget the emotions of everyday life: the nervousness of going to a job interview, the anger felt when cut off in traffic, the happiness of seeing a loved one after a long separation. Perhaps these are not cinematic enough? I find that cartoon violence I see in so many films is largely consequence-free and thus boring. This fake violence inoculates us from fear and gives us a safe cinematic zone. One that, for some reason, seems to be needed now more than ever. Back in the first days of film, when audiences were unfamiliar with the medium, they would shy away from an onscreen speeding locomotive. Today they are only comfortable with a speeding locomotive, running over an super hero who pops up unharmed.

Another issue is the plethora of movie sequels, which I call "sequela" ("a condition that is the consequence of a previous disease or injury"). Despite this, I look forward to the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, Blade Runner 2049. It prompted me to go back and take a fresh look at the original director's cut of Blade Runner, which is set in fast-approaching 2019.

Although it's one of my favorite films, I find Blade Runner difficult to watch. It's got a classic themes (the quest for immortality, what it means to be human), a love story, and is solidly in the film noir genre. Despite sweeping cinematography of futuristic night vistas and the megapolis of LA in 2019, there is also a mood of sepulchral opacity: settings are dark, rainy, crowded, smoky and harsh. Pauline Kael noted "we're never sure exactly what part of the city we're in, or where it is in relation to the scene before and the scene after (Scott seems to be trapped in his own alleyways, without a map.)". The spectacular visuals don't seem to be bound by an animating force. Completely opposite is a film like Triumph of the Will where the spectacle is in support of an idea, or in that case an ideology. And even though that ideology is odious, from a purely cinematic perspective the brightly-lit, symmetrical scenes are visually appealing and in that sense pleasurable. Whereas when immersed in Ridley Scott's world, you end up feeling like you are on dark north wall in Game of Thrones, longing for the sunlight of the Dothraki kingdom.

What's the idea behind this juxtaposition of beautiful structures with roiling ghettos of would-be 2019 Los Angeles? Perhaps it's a more nuanced take on the idea of the destructive effects of technology. Technology-fueled apocalypse is well-explored territory in film: I am Legend, 28 Days Later, Brazil, Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes, all the way back to Metropolis. Today in the news we hear Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking warning us to prepare to bow down in obeisance to our artificial intelligent overlords. In Blade Runner the apocalypse has been partial. There are gleaming palaces and flying cars, but for most it's dirty, dark, and dusty. Humans have not been exterminated or enslaved, but live as scurrying ramen-eaters and goods-hawkers. In this sense Blade Runner is closer to Bong June-ho's Snowpiercer than it is to most post-apocalyptic movies.

Given this grubby existence where everyone is looking out for themselves, the love story between Sean Young's Rachael and Harrison Ford's Deckerd should gain significance and perhaps be redemptive, but the characters are hampered by the blind loyalty to the close-mouthed film noir style. Not much is said, and not enough is felt.

Despite these flaws, Blade Runner is an immersive, imaginative, well-acted, impeccably cast, patient film. I disagree with Kael's assertion that Rutger Hauer stops the film every time he appears, and should win the "Klaus Kinski Scenery Chewing Award." As the doomed prodigal son he deserves some scenery to chew and I found him energizing. Harrison Ford is at his peak but underplays the role, he always seems to have just woken up.

Blade Runner is painterly and demands a suspension of the audience's desire to cede a portion of their critical responsibility to predictable filmic memes: buddy movie, gang of lovables, guy gets girl, righteous revenge, or what I see a lot of lately: "togetherness overcomes evil" (Guardians of the Galaxy, It). No comedy relief, no wisecracking Bruce Willis-in-Moonlighting character. It's my favorite movie to see once every 20 years. Let's see if the sequel leavens the bread.
October 28, 2017
Blade Runner, no matter which cut I watch, is solid, but I don't quite see why it's a masterpiece to others. That being said, no one can ignore how influential this film has been. Despite a few uninteresting characters (including Deckard) and the uncomfortable "romance", Blade Runner is visually arresting, with a simple but complex narrative, neo-noir atmosphere, remarkable world-building and stand-out performances from Rutger Hauer and Sean Young.
½ October 27, 2017
This movie changed my view on a good sci-fi movie and made me love the Cyberpunk genre.