Dave Chappelle's Block Party - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dave Chappelle's Block Party Reviews

October 14, 2016
If it weren't for director, Michel Gondry's interwoven, often honest and/or funny, behind-the-scenes moments this would be a lot less entertaining and a lot more of just a rap concert movie. It's Dave Chappelle movie, but he isn't much of the star. Rating: 6 / 10
½ October 9, 2016
A novel idea by Chappelle and classic hip-hop performances
½ August 8, 2016
Excellent performances & good humor.
February 8, 2016
Chappelle's attempt to regain some of his roots in leu of his increasing fame is funny, assured, and features great performances from some of the great hip hop and soul artists. I wanted to be there
September 17, 2015
Nice attempt but really just one big bore.
½ June 14, 2015
Even with my reluctance to expect anything near a proper stand up, 'Dave Chappelle's Block Party' was slightly disappointing. Snippets of stand up comedy, while funny, are not sufficient to please fans of the comedian and although I'm aware of the select group of artists on stage, most of the music was not recognisable enough to get me in the groove. This documentary can be admired for highlighting Chappelle's socially conscious side but it frustratingly lacks a substantial comedy or concert performance which would have proven more enjoyable.
May 20, 2015
Dave Chapelle kicks ass in this movie
November 17, 2014
Disappointing......thought there would be more of Dave's stand-up, but instead lots of rap and hip hop.
½ June 6, 2014
awesome good funky fun
January 3, 2014
This is the sort of movie that the "special interest" section was invented for. Basically it's a comedy/documentary/performing arts hybrid thats simply cool. It's got some great musicians, Dave Chapelle, and Michael Gondry directing. pretty hard to go wrong!
½ October 11, 2013
One of the best musical documentaries ever!
August 24, 2013
Bought this on a whim and was really pleasantly surprised. Fugees reunion at the end was awesome. Great movie to have on in the background at a house party.
½ May 8, 2013
Great concept bringing unlikely people to go see a hip hop show. The artists involved in the concert are amongst the most legendary hip hop musicians today. Dave Chappelle is as funny as always just interacting with locals from his town. The film is community oriented and is a great documentary in a lacking category, hip hop music. An all around feel good film with a great message.
March 31, 2013
Too crude to my liking
March 30, 2013
Great muzik, comedy Dave Chappelle did a great job on this project.
March 2, 2013
In my top 20 all time. This film is so perfect.
February 6, 2013
Great film with a mix of amazing musical performances and eccentric characters.
½ December 23, 2012
A totally unappreciated concert film.
December 12, 2012
First ten minutes are the best thats it.
October 22, 2012
Some very good rap peppered with Dave Chappelle's infectiously funny personality and an entire marching band? Count me in! Actually, I woulda gone just for Dave, but y'know...