Blue Ruin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Ruin Reviews

March 31, 2018
What a tight, taught thriller this was. Had me from the first frame. Do not miss it.
½ March 24, 2018
Unlike the typical revenge tale wherein the hero is sure handed, surefooted and sureheaded, this story leans into the possibility that our grim revenger might not have it all together in any way, shape or form. And yet ... Good moviemaking all around. Get in for the antithesis of Charles Bronson and one nerve wracking ride. Good stuff.
½ March 3, 2018
An ode to beta maleness. Which probably explains why 'critics' loved it.
February 5, 2018
Master-fucking-piece.
½ February 2, 2018
Kinda boring. How does that car run so smoothly?
January 12, 2018
A sombre tale of revenge and loss. It's brutal and personal and very well told. Blair's muted performance as a man who has seemingly lost everything, but finds he still has something to fight for is excellent, and ultimately carries this film. Pretty good all round.
October 9, 2017
Blue Ruin is one of the rawest and most emotionally attached thrillers I've seen in recent years. The story is an intense affair, dealing with a dissacoiated hero with his heart and mind set on avenging the death of his parents. The performances are extremely capable and dedicated from the outset and the casting is fantastic. The stripped back, indie feel to Blue Ruin is bolstered by the film's intricate and "barely there" score, a cast of mostly unrecogniseables and a washed out, pale pallet in the majority of it's mise-en-scene. Definitely worth a watch.
July 21, 2017
Dark story that started out a little slow but gained momentum very quickly. The story felt like it could've happened to anyone you know or maybe even you. Not a big budget triller but better than many of those that I've seen. Ok story with some great acting, I felt for the main character until the very end!
July 14, 2017
This was a very strange movie that never kept me interested. I never really liked the protagonist that much, and it didn't have as much tension as i would have liked. I was never on the edge of my seat.
½ June 13, 2017
Jeremy Saulnier is quickly becoming one of my favs. This never dull gritty revenge tale is brutal and surprising. Nothing forced. Very well paced.
½ June 1, 2017
Smoldering, tense. Real. Great picture.
½ May 11, 2017
well that turned crazy quickly lol it was ok.
April 25, 2017
Blue Ruin is what all revenge thrillers should aim to be. In it's short 90 minute runtime, Blue Ruin, achieves genre thrills without sacrificing story, character, or writing. The movie is beautifully shot and directed making the thrilling scenes all the more intriguing. The highest praise of all goes to the editing, pacing, and acting. The editing and pacing make sure that the movie never has a dull moment. And thanks to the incredible and subtle performances, you always feel invested in the characters and their goals. I recommend this to anyone looking for a very well crafted and executed revenge story.
March 24, 2017
There's something to be said for the fact that the quietest, slow-burn thriller in a long while is also the most gut-churning. Jeremy Saulnier has an eye for the deep, intricate methods of communication in the human face; that's the language this film is in at the end of the day. This is a movie about people, misunderstanding, misinformation, and the violence that erupts from that vicious combination.
March 22, 2017
Revenge is a slow and painfully brutal process, as told by countless films. What makes Blue Ruin stand out from the crowd is the grotesque violence and realism in its action. It shows the dirt and grime of it, a more true nature that does not come off comically like everyone's go to thought of a Quentin Tarantino movie. No, Blue Ruin's violence serves a greater purpose than bloody fun, because this blood is not fun.

Set in a melancholy tone with lots of uses of the color blue, hence the use of the title Blue Ruin, being about complete and utter devastation. Like director Jeremy Saulnier's following film, Green Room, color plays as much of a role in the film as does anything else. In the beginning, we see Dwight (Macon Blair) in one of the lowest points of his life, slumming it with the poor. In these sequences, blue is used within the entire environment around him, showing the world of hurt he's in without telling us what has happened yet. As the film progresses, less blue is used, as sort of a growth of some sorts, but it does not leave entirely.

As for the production of Blue Ruin, it came as a shock to discover it was funded through the popular website Kickstarter, with 438 backers pledging $37,828 (added to the total $42,000 budget). Compared to the high-octane violent movies of 2013, which includes the likes of A Good Day To Die Hard, White House Down, and Kick-Ass 2, all of which costed several million to make, it is baffling how much better Blue Ruin handles its action. Yes, it's not an end of the world scenario, but the simple fact that Blue Ruin used actual blue packet squibs heightens the overall effect in my book.

I don't feel a need to get into the details of the story, as I'd rather not spoil the details. It's a fairly standard revenge story with a few tricks and turns, but none maniacal enough to place it on a level of Oldboy (2003). The journey Dwight goes through is vicious and practically life altering, which in itself is both difficult and enjoyable to watch. The pacing aligns more along the lines of No Country For Old Men (2007), being slow and quiet when it needs to, and fast and brutal when it gains momentum. Although No Country For Old Men handles this pacing more elegantly, Blue Ruin still holds up without ever becoming tedious. It falters at times, but not enough to make the overall picture suffer.

Blue Ruin is a very well made movie. It uses its visual storytelling well enough and its story as best as it can. Though its not as good of a movie as Green Room, especially in its story and execution, it provides excellent a gut-wrenching, somber movie experience that will please the genre fans. New watchers of this genre be warned, it's not easy to describe just how real things get.

Grade: B+
½ March 11, 2017
Tense revenge thriller about a homeless man wanting to kill the man who killed his parents years ago, and is being released from prison.

This movie takes lots of twists and turns and is brutally real as we are shown the real meaning of revenge, and its effects.

'My father fell in love with your mom, and that is why we all have to die.'

The main character Dwight is wonderfully complex; clearly mentally broken from the death of his parents. The other characters aren't as developed but are enough to be what they need to be.

Violent, graphic and brutal, and really quite amazing.
March 3, 2017
The movie starts real slow and the only time it actually picks up is towards the end of the movie. I didn't quite get what was going on at first but halfway into the movie, I finally understood the story. The context of it was lacking and I quite didn't seem to enjoy the overall movie itself. Maybe it's the story or the guy who is hell bent on revenge throughout the movie. Either way, it was just another typical of a revenge movie. I hate to compare but Out of the Furnace was more tragically poetic than this. It's not because Christian Bale did an outstanding job on that, even Casey Affleck did too. Don't get me wrong, Macon Blair who played as Dwight did an awesome performance in this. I really like his acting in this one. I don't know where he is known from but his performance in this movie really outshines the story itself.
½ February 26, 2017
Waiting around in the house scene. Good movie
February 23, 2017
A classic revenge film that doesn't rely on tropes to carefully push along the movie. It creates its thrills through the characters, which are idiotically amazing.
February 22, 2017
It's not a bad film, and what it lacks in emotional substance it makes up for in great technical artistry and acting. I did like the shot where it follows the car (blue ruin) into the fog. Nonetheless, it's message was boring, obvious, and overdone and it didn't make me care enough about its main character to make me care whether he lived, died, succeeded or what. And I didn't find any characters likable. So a well done film, that alas, is not very memorable.