Blue Ruin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Ruin Reviews

½ June 13, 2017
Jeremy Saulnier is quickly becoming one of my favs. This never dull gritty revenge tale is brutal and surprising. Nothing forced. Very well paced.
½ June 1, 2017
Smoldering, tense. Real. Great picture.
½ May 11, 2017
well that turned crazy quickly lol it was ok.
April 25, 2017
Blue Ruin is what all revenge thrillers should aim to be. In it's short 90 minute runtime, Blue Ruin, achieves genre thrills without sacrificing story, character, or writing. The movie is beautifully shot and directed making the thrilling scenes all the more intriguing. The highest praise of all goes to the editing, pacing, and acting. The editing and pacing make sure that the movie never has a dull moment. And thanks to the incredible and subtle performances, you always feel invested in the characters and their goals. I recommend this to anyone looking for a very well crafted and executed revenge story.
March 24, 2017
There's something to be said for the fact that the quietest, slow-burn thriller in a long while is also the most gut-churning. Jeremy Saulnier has an eye for the deep, intricate methods of communication in the human face; that's the language this film is in at the end of the day. This is a movie about people, misunderstanding, misinformation, and the violence that erupts from that vicious combination.
March 22, 2017
Revenge is a slow and painfully brutal process, as told by countless films. What makes Blue Ruin stand out from the crowd is the grotesque violence and realism in its action. It shows the dirt and grime of it, a more true nature that does not come off comically like everyone's go to thought of a Quentin Tarantino movie. No, Blue Ruin's violence serves a greater purpose than bloody fun, because this blood is not fun.

Set in a melancholy tone with lots of uses of the color blue, hence the use of the title Blue Ruin, being about complete and utter devastation. Like director Jeremy Saulnier's following film, Green Room, color plays as much of a role in the film as does anything else. In the beginning, we see Dwight (Macon Blair) in one of the lowest points of his life, slumming it with the poor. In these sequences, blue is used within the entire environment around him, showing the world of hurt he's in without telling us what has happened yet. As the film progresses, less blue is used, as sort of a growth of some sorts, but it does not leave entirely.

As for the production of Blue Ruin, it came as a shock to discover it was funded through the popular website Kickstarter, with 438 backers pledging $37,828 (added to the total $42,000 budget). Compared to the high-octane violent movies of 2013, which includes the likes of A Good Day To Die Hard, White House Down, and Kick-Ass 2, all of which costed several million to make, it is baffling how much better Blue Ruin handles its action. Yes, it's not an end of the world scenario, but the simple fact that Blue Ruin used actual blue packet squibs heightens the overall effect in my book.

I don't feel a need to get into the details of the story, as I'd rather not spoil the details. It's a fairly standard revenge story with a few tricks and turns, but none maniacal enough to place it on a level of Oldboy (2003). The journey Dwight goes through is vicious and practically life altering, which in itself is both difficult and enjoyable to watch. The pacing aligns more along the lines of No Country For Old Men (2007), being slow and quiet when it needs to, and fast and brutal when it gains momentum. Although No Country For Old Men handles this pacing more elegantly, Blue Ruin still holds up without ever becoming tedious. It falters at times, but not enough to make the overall picture suffer.

Blue Ruin is a very well made movie. It uses its visual storytelling well enough and its story as best as it can. Though its not as good of a movie as Green Room, especially in its story and execution, it provides excellent a gut-wrenching, somber movie experience that will please the genre fans. New watchers of this genre be warned, it's not easy to describe just how real things get.

Grade: B+
½ March 11, 2017
Tense revenge thriller about a homeless man wanting to kill the man who killed his parents years ago, and is being released from prison.

This movie takes lots of twists and turns and is brutally real as we are shown the real meaning of revenge, and its effects.

'My father fell in love with your mom, and that is why we all have to die.'

The main character Dwight is wonderfully complex; clearly mentally broken from the death of his parents. The other characters aren't as developed but are enough to be what they need to be.

Violent, graphic and brutal, and really quite amazing.
March 3, 2017
The movie starts real slow and the only time it actually picks up is towards the end of the movie. I didn't quite get what was going on at first but halfway into the movie, I finally understood the story. The context of it was lacking and I quite didn't seem to enjoy the overall movie itself. Maybe it's the story or the guy who is hell bent on revenge throughout the movie. Either way, it was just another typical of a revenge movie. I hate to compare but Out of the Furnace was more tragically poetic than this. It's not because Christian Bale did an outstanding job on that, even Casey Affleck did too. Don't get me wrong, Macon Blair who played as Dwight did an awesome performance in this. I really like his acting in this one. I don't know where he is known from but his performance in this movie really outshines the story itself.
½ February 26, 2017
Waiting around in the house scene. Good movie
February 23, 2017
A classic revenge film that doesn't rely on tropes to carefully push along the movie. It creates its thrills through the characters, which are idiotically amazing.
February 22, 2017
It's not a bad film, and what it lacks in emotional substance it makes up for in great technical artistry and acting. I did like the shot where it follows the car (blue ruin) into the fog. Nonetheless, it's message was boring, obvious, and overdone and it didn't make me care enough about its main character to make me care whether he lived, died, succeeded or what. And I didn't find any characters likable. So a well done film, that alas, is not very memorable.
½ February 19, 2017
20 mins in and all the lead character has said is "do you sell stamps" how you're supposed to engage with it is beyond me... Binned
½ February 10, 2017
Jeremy Saulnier is now a must-watch director for me.
January 28, 2017
Compelling low budget movie. Strong direction, story and acting.
½ January 27, 2017
A grungy, gritty indie thriller, Blue Ruin is an impressive showcase for writer/director (and cinematographer in this film's case) Jeremy Saulnier. The revenge tale Saulnier has created could easily follow the same beats as every other film with a similar premise, but he's too clever to succumb to clichés and overused tropes. Instead, the tropes are flipped upside down, and the result is a thriller that, rather impressively, allows for realistic character and storytelling decisions without losing sight of the thrills needed to make this story work as, well, a thriller. Between Saulnier's tight writing, which functions as an organic, dialogue-light piece for much of the film, and lead actor Macon Blair's subdued performance, this is a refreshing take on the story in that the action in the film is largely incompetent. Blair's Dwight Evans, who is seeking revenge for wrongdoings against his family in the past, is a pretty pathetic excuse for an assassin, but in all the right ways. His sloppiness is what really allows for the tension to slowly build in each scene, as well as result in brutality that's as sloppy as his assassin skills. This is, oddly, where the film sometimes falters: the second act seems to forget about this concept at times, but fortunately returns to it in the tense final act. It's a third act that revels in being a quiet climax, focused on deliberate tension rather than loud setpieces. It's impeccable storytelling, and for all the budgetary restraints he faces and his general lack of prior films, Saulnier pulls it off really well.
½ January 23, 2017
Low budget and art house but a gripping tale of the effects of revenge
January 21, 2017
Rare that I go lower than both critic and audience reviews, but i thought this was a very average revenge thriller. Nothing new, nothing unique, and no stand out performances
December 26, 2016
A classic American revenge story that recently won the Fipresci International Critics Prize at the Cannes Film Festival where it screened in the Directors' Fortnight. The film follows a mysterious outsider whose quiet life is turned upside down when he returns to his childhood home to carry out an act of vengeance. Proving himself an amateur assassin, he winds up in a brutal fight to protect his estranged family.
December 20, 2016
It's a slightly strange revenge thriller, mostly because it's an unlikely character who never really grows in stature as events take the various turns which they do. It's nevertheless fascinating enough.
½ December 20, 2016
Of all the great horror movies that came out in 2013 (Oculus, The Conjuring, VHS 2, Dark Skies...), this is the essential one of the year, it's one of the best movies I've ever seen ! Jeremy Saulnier did a great job on his later film Green Room (2015), bu this one is even better, the special effects and acting are all really good, and the cinematography is very raw and realistic. This is another one of these movies that prove entirely that you don't need a big budget to make a great, disturbing horror movie. Recommended !!