Blue Velvet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Velvet Reviews

July 21, 2017
What is the fantasy on display? Is it the virginal pleasantry of small town America, with its promise of happy couplings and parental blessing? Is it the dark erotic violence that seems always just beneath the surface of day-to-day life? For Lynch, the fantasies of good and evil are ineluctably related, distinguishable but impossible to disentangle. This is so in part because, as Todd McGowan has argued, these reflections belong to the fantasmic structure of masculinity and the American patriarchy, of epistemic closure and totality-and so both are threatened by (and end up threatening horribly) a woman's uncertain desire, her refusal to fit neatly into the world of man's dominance. The film is exceptionally abusive towards Rossellini's character, Dorothy, and it is small wonder the shock those scenes of misogyny caused when the film was released, and still today; yet the most violent and subversive aspect of the film is not what the male characters do to her (which she often invites), but what they can't (because she resists)-the failure of men to master her, to understand her, to satisfy her, therefore their constitutive inability to master, understand, or satisfy themselves.
July 13, 2017
David Lynch had the unsurpassed joy of flatulating in a room full of self-congratulatory minded, rich, Jewish and Christian studio heads who ghettoized everything profane and godless from mingling with the crowd pleasing 1980s fluff. Blue Velvet, with its audacious Frank Booth character, as well as Kyle MacLachlan's own trippy and self-conscious prelude to Twin Peaks performance, seemed to be the 1970s clawing back at the pretentious Reagenesque culture - as if to remind us that Evil never dies, Pain is constant, and Perversity is freeing. Lynch's most linear film is still his most brilliant.

You have to internally fear any cinema villain who loudly proclaims his will to rape any living thing in existence. Frank Booth was the human equivalent of a rabid pit bull, spewing nonsense and obscenities while glaring at protagonist Jeffrey Beaumont with arguably the most insane expression in movie history. While I love Jack Nicholson's theatrics as The Joker, and Heath Ledger's grunge doomsday interpretation of the madman, those clowns couldn't hold a twisted grin to this demon. Frank Booth insisted on leaving his victims with dread and confusion, a far crueler fate. This is David Lynch's true contribution to cinema, discounting his pot party shenanigans of Eraser Head and Mulholland Drive; a devious, mentally-disturbed man who hates you for no apparent reason.
July 10, 2017
Blue Velvet (1986) C-120m. ?? D: David Lynch. Kyle MacLachlan, Isabella Rossellini, Dennis Hopper, Laura Dern, Dean Stockwell. Lynch's weird, powerful, invasive, wholly original tale of young man's decent into maddening hell. In "picture-perfect" town, college student loses interest in his girlfriend, lusts for mysterious nightclub singer, who has ties with dangerous, psychopathic criminals, led by an excellent Hopper. Has some kind of raw, fearless potential for greatness, but writer-director Lynch constantly reminds viewer (and his engrossing story) it's all in campy fun. One particularly rotten scene exploits a humiliated, bare-naked Rossellini as some kind of a joke! Exceptional performances and lurid photography are among film's virtues. It is also undeniably distinctive.
July 4, 2017
College student Jeffrey Beaumont (Kyle MacLachlan) returns home after his father has a stroke. When he discovers a severed ear in an abandoned field, Beaumont teams up with detective's daughter Sandy Williams (Laura Dern) to solve the mystery. They believe beautiful lounge singer Dorothy Vallens (Isabella Rossellini) may be connected with the case, and Beaumont finds himself becoming drawn into her dark, twisted world, where he encounters sexually depraved psychopath Frank Booth (Dennis Hopper).
June 25, 2017
What is the value of "a deeper perception of the potential of film storytelling" of the story is completely debased and evil?
June 22, 2017
One of the greatest movies ever made, and may be my personal favorite film. Blue Velvet is almost TOO good, with being unrelentingly haunting, intriguing, beautiful, and shocking, and extremely re-watchable.
June 12, 2017
This disturbing and twisted story is surprisingly realistic for a Lynch. It is perverse and dark causing discomfort and making you want to turn it off, but the fascinating characters and mystery keep you captivated. The deeper meaning through analysis of the film is well told throughout and reflects much of Lynch's ideology. This uncomfortable display of humanity is worth a watch and rewatch.
½ June 3, 2017
Dark and very disturbing, "Blue Velvet" is an erotic thriller with David Lynch's signature use of imagery, and has an excellent taste in music.
June 3, 2017
The least bizarre of the Lynch films I've seen, in terms of story structure and the way information is given through imagery. But, "Blue Velvet" still manages to be incredibly strange and disturbing in the best possible ways. It's scary, mostly in an atmospheric sense, largely due to Lynch's incomparable sound design, and the creepy visuals help a tremendous amount too. And Kyle MacLachlan is, as always, fantastic. The cast surrounding him is very good as well, including Dennis Hopper as one of the most despicable characters I've ever seen in film.
½ May 21, 2017
David Lynch's Blue Velvet is deeply unsettling and disturbing for all the right reasons.
May 13, 2017
Blue Velvet is strange, disturbing, mysterious and one of the most rewarding films ever. You aren't likely to understand just what it is that you've seen the first time you watch, but, with every subsequent viewing, you'll notice something new. It's the twisted masterpiece that keeps on giving; the film that cemented in my mind what a true genius David Lynch is.
He can give you a beautiful, but also horrifying set of images and scenarios that will also get you thinking. He truly is an artist of the highest quality.
½ April 13, 2017
The story of a struggling detective and his super-smart daughter who solves his cases.
Horrible dialogue and poor acting mask King Koopa's (Dennis Hopper) great performance - he is the only reason to watch this.
April 12, 2017
David Lynch tells a weird story about a young guy caught up in a world he finds both fascinating and dangerous. I liked Dennis Hopper. Isabella Rosselleni is hot. But the movie needed more cohesion.
½ April 2, 2017
Un villano sensible a las delicadas emociones de la música justamente por ser incapaz de sentirlas en su vida personal: un niño resentido, ansioso por demostrar su poder. Una víctima que encuentra placer en las prácticas sádicas de quien la gobierna, esclava que necesita ser golpeada para olvidarse de la abominable realidad, y que por la misma razón acepta la relación con el extraño que se metió a su ropero para verla desnudarse; un muchacho limpio que busca experiencias más fuertes de lo que puede soportar, con el potencial de convertirse en aquello que odia, pero al que la vida por fortuna está siendo benévola, dándole una novia que lo ama y perdona luego de que se la hizo. Dos mundos inmiscibles después de todo, que colisionan cuando las dos mujeres, una alterada y la otra desnuda y semi-inconsciente, se encuentran en el mismo vestíbulo.

8.5/10: Fascinante.
March 19, 2017
The character's motivations were utterly opaque to me.
March 10, 2017
Started out great and didn't know how to finish
Very weak second half
½ February 6, 2017
A very sick display of sex and violence. Too twisted for me, Mr. Lynch. It's absurd to see a film like this get so many positive reviews. (First and only viewing - 2/6/2017)
January 28, 2017
A mystery thriller for sure. Sure it has its moments where the pacing seems slow but Kyle MacLachlan who plays as Jeffrey Beaumont makes up for it. I know this guy as The Captain in the show called How I Met Your Mother. His performance there was pretty damn good. So no doubt that he will be good in this one and voila, he does another awesome job. Now I know I said that and it sounded like I did it backwards but he did a very good performance in this movie as well.

What intrigues me in this movie is how he goes deep into a situation he didn't ask for. He just stumbles upon it and then it just serious business from there. From meeting the mysterious yet troubled Dorothy Vallens who is played by Isabella Rossellini, to the drug craze addict named Frank Booth who is played by the awesome Dennis Hopper. That guy who played the villain in Waterworld. Who also played as King Koopa. Heck, he was awesome in Speed. Also with Laura Dern who plays as Sandy Williams. Who I know her from Jurassic Park. Being thrown into the mix with Jeffrey's antics.

In the end, it was tragic and it kinda reminded me of the ending of Girl Next Door. And no, not the romantic comedy. That one drama movie. Sometimes a movie like this makes you feel like you want to save someone because you just need to and then sometimes you don't have the power to do so and it just happens. This is one of those movies.

Blue Velvet is a poetic eerie story with the pacing done right. If you like mystery stuff, this is for you. For me, I like weird stuff.
January 27, 2017
Some of the worst, stilted, bad acting I have ever seen. The story was vaguely exotic but the acting took away from the understanding of the story line. If you want to see how not to film a movie this might just for you. Denis Hopper turned in his normal weird personality which mostly distracted from the quality of the movie. Director David Lynch must have thrown one hell of a good party to get the critics to give this movie such a high rating.
½ January 25, 2017