Blue Velvet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Velvet Reviews

June 25, 2017
What is the value of "a deeper perception of the potential of film storytelling" of the story is completely debased and evil?
June 22, 2017
One of the greatest movies ever made, and may be my personal favorite film. Blue Velvet is almost TOO good, with being unrelentingly haunting, intriguing, beautiful, and shocking, and extremely re-watchable.
June 12, 2017
This disturbing and twisted story is surprisingly realistic for a Lynch. It is perverse and dark causing discomfort and making you want to turn it off, but the fascinating characters and mystery keep you captivated. The deeper meaning through analysis of the film is well told throughout and reflects much of Lynch's ideology. This uncomfortable display of humanity is worth a watch and rewatch.
½ June 3, 2017
Dark and very disturbing, "Blue Velvet" is an erotic thriller with David Lynch's signature use of imagery, and has an excellent taste in music.
June 3, 2017
The least bizarre of the Lynch films I've seen, in terms of story structure and the way information is given through imagery. But, "Blue Velvet" still manages to be incredibly strange and disturbing in the best possible ways. It's scary, mostly in an atmospheric sense, largely due to Lynch's incomparable sound design, and the creepy visuals help a tremendous amount too. And Kyle MacLachlan is, as always, fantastic. The cast surrounding him is very good as well, including Dennis Hopper as one of the most despicable characters I've ever seen in film.
½ May 21, 2017
David Lynch's Blue Velvet is deeply unsettling and disturbing for all the right reasons.
May 13, 2017
Blue Velvet is strange, disturbing, mysterious and one of the most rewarding films ever. You aren't likely to understand just what it is that you've seen the first time you watch, but, with every subsequent viewing, you'll notice something new. It's the twisted masterpiece that keeps on giving; the film that cemented in my mind what a true genius David Lynch is.
He can give you a beautiful, but also horrifying set of images and scenarios that will also get you thinking. He truly is an artist of the highest quality.
½ April 13, 2017
The story of a struggling detective and his super-smart daughter who solves his cases.
Horrible dialogue and poor acting mask King Koopa's (Dennis Hopper) great performance - he is the only reason to watch this.
April 12, 2017
David Lynch tells a weird story about a young guy caught up in a world he finds both fascinating and dangerous. I liked Dennis Hopper. Isabella Rosselleni is hot. But the movie needed more cohesion.
½ April 2, 2017
Un villano sensible a las delicadas emociones de la música justamente por ser incapaz de sentirlas en su vida personal: un niño resentido, ansioso por demostrar su poder. Una víctima que encuentra placer en las prácticas sádicas de quien la gobierna, esclava que necesita ser golpeada para olvidarse de la abominable realidad, y que por la misma razón acepta la relación con el extraño que se metió a su ropero para verla desnudarse; un muchacho limpio que busca experiencias más fuertes de lo que puede soportar, con el potencial de convertirse en aquello que odia, pero al que la vida por fortuna está siendo benévola, dándole una novia que lo ama y perdona luego de que se la hizo. Dos mundos inmiscibles después de todo, que colisionan cuando las dos mujeres, una alterada y la otra desnuda y semi-inconsciente, se encuentran en el mismo vestíbulo.

8.5/10: Fascinante.
March 19, 2017
The character's motivations were utterly opaque to me.
March 10, 2017
Started out great and didn't know how to finish
Very weak second half
½ February 6, 2017
A very sick display of sex and violence. Too twisted for me, Mr. Lynch. It's absurd to see a film like this get so many positive reviews. (First and only viewing - 2/6/2017)
January 28, 2017
A mystery thriller for sure. Sure it has its moments where the pacing seems slow but Kyle MacLachlan who plays as Jeffrey Beaumont makes up for it. I know this guy as The Captain in the show called How I Met Your Mother. His performance there was pretty damn good. So no doubt that he will be good in this one and voila, he does another awesome job. Now I know I said that and it sounded like I did it backwards but he did a very good performance in this movie as well.

What intrigues me in this movie is how he goes deep into a situation he didn't ask for. He just stumbles upon it and then it just serious business from there. From meeting the mysterious yet troubled Dorothy Vallens who is played by Isabella Rossellini, to the drug craze addict named Frank Booth who is played by the awesome Dennis Hopper. That guy who played the villain in Waterworld. Who also played as King Koopa. Heck, he was awesome in Speed. Also with Laura Dern who plays as Sandy Williams. Who I know her from Jurassic Park. Being thrown into the mix with Jeffrey's antics.

In the end, it was tragic and it kinda reminded me of the ending of Girl Next Door. And no, not the romantic comedy. That one drama movie. Sometimes a movie like this makes you feel like you want to save someone because you just need to and then sometimes you don't have the power to do so and it just happens. This is one of those movies.

Blue Velvet is a poetic eerie story with the pacing done right. If you like mystery stuff, this is for you. For me, I like weird stuff.
January 27, 2017
Some of the worst, stilted, bad acting I have ever seen. The story was vaguely exotic but the acting took away from the understanding of the story line. If you want to see how not to film a movie this might just for you. Denis Hopper turned in his normal weird personality which mostly distracted from the quality of the movie. Director David Lynch must have thrown one hell of a good party to get the critics to give this movie such a high rating.
½ January 25, 2017
Emotionally unsettling.
January 18, 2017
Best Fallout DLC so far!
January 7, 2017
Summed up perfectly by the late Gene Siskel, this film plays you like a piano. Lynch's arousing yet unsettling portrait of the underbelly of the American dream is something you won't soon forget. He successfully immerses you into a pleasantville-esque world replete with the musical stylings of Bobby Vinton. From there, through the eyes of the fatally curious Kyle McLachlan, Lynch launches us into a hallucinogenic detective story that becomes more intriguing even as Lynch drags us further into the bowels of this perverse fairy tale.
I must admit that this film did not thrill me upon first viewing. In fact, it was as pleasant as being hit in the head with a shovel. However, upon a second viewing I found out oddly enough that Lynch made me like and even admire the shovel that seemed hellbent on doing me harm. And for me that is quite an impressive feat, and one I soon won't forget.
½ December 29, 2016
I wasn't sure what to expect with Blue Velvet, but I can say that I wasn't disappointed. Some unforgettable performances (Dennis Hopper putting in a manic, powerhouse performance), coupled with some unforgettable scenes (see previous) and an almost dream-like feel to the film work together to create a shocking and still quite unique film experience. Is the film perfect? Not by a long shot. There are pacing issues towards the end, and some of the dialogue just feels a bit clunky. Blue Velvet's story and feel will certainly be a deterrent for some, but ultimately the film is definitely worth a watch. 3 1/2 stars
December 22, 2016
10 out of 10:

Strange, intense, well acted and directed, Blue Velvet delivers a surreal look at crime.