Bones Reviews

• Aug 02, 2020

3/5. Snoop Dogg and Ricky Harris are great, plus there are some really cool practical effects and visual, but the movie doesn't hold my interest the entire time and doesn't make a ton of sense.

• Jul 02, 2020

Slow but has a few creepy moments.

Slow but has a few creepy moments.

• Apr 17, 2020

This one is actually a lot more solid than I used to give it credit for. Sure it's kind of a silly blaxsploitation horror flick, and on the surface may seem like a cheap gimmick to feature Snoop as the monster. But there's more going on under the surface. A lot of care went into this production, with its classic gothic imagery, a ghostly revenge plot, some wacky humor, and even a tragic love story; it's a shame this never took off to create a franchise. Snoop was game and he even delivers a solid performance.

• Dec 31, 2019

Obviously underrated in my opinion. People used to scare easier then. It was exquisite to be able to see so many beautiful black actors take on a horrer film without being the butt or first K.O. Snoop is one cold MF with a "killer" back story. (Take as many stabs at that as you please). Feels like we are running out of ways to scare ourselves these days. When you all get tired of burning forests and polluting our water, sit back and enjoy this for what I call a classic. Or take another lap on netflix, sure you'll find something...

• Aug 18, 2019

A solid B-movie that kind of plods along but is entertaining enough to have playing along in the background as I paint or do my hair. I think a lot of people went into this film with higher expectations than the synopsis and genre suggest. Which is to say that if you started watching a horror film starring Snoop Dogg expecting it to not be a bit corny, low budget and strangely political then you went in underwhelmed from the get go. It has some very interesting visuals and offers a new facet to the b-movie haunted house genre. Its a bit of a mashup of callbacks and older movie references and a slow to follow plot the first time around. I think it may have been better if it hadn't ended up trying to be quite so many things at once. One one hand the concept of a ghost haunting the neighborhood he once supported and protected is fantastic and the added layer of subpolitical intrigue and commentary was important and divergent from other films of the same genre. With that being said...it also tried to play up the slasher/visceral horror of other films coming out at that time and was appropriately heavy handed and made for some deeply uninspired moments throughout. The clash - at times - makes the film hard to take seriously despite some genuinely good - or at least interesting - visuals sprinkled throughout. Overall its not as bad as people are saying it is but its also not really good. Its not all that scary unless you're a child predisposed to fear but if you started this with the take away that it was trying to be the thriller movie of the year you started watching for the wrong reasons. I also feel some reveiwers are missing some important context about both the "steryotypical" nature of the film as well as the subpolitical inflection points. Which is fine but if you understand the history of blaxplotation films and the history behind them and it makes it more interesting to take that format and subvert it into a horror film. You don't have to like it but at least admit you don't know what you're talking about before you go down that particular road. All in all this was a strange movie that tried to be too many things but is still worth watching. It was one of those VHS tapes you owned and only rewatched after you had exhausted all of your other tapes ad nauseum. But you still go back to watch it from time to time. But I enjoy a good bad movie every once in a while so what do I know?

• Jan 03, 2019

This is a good movie

This is a good movie

• Nov 12, 2017

Stupid story and terrible acting (Snoop isn't the worst in it, believe it or not) . . . not entertaining in the slightest - not that I ever expected it to be.

• Jan 23, 2017

Very cheesy but worth a watch if you like horror.

Very cheesy but worth a watch if you like horror.

• Apr 02, 2016

For a horror movie, this made me laugh a lot. It's not the best movie effect wise, but worth the watch for the unique plot and interesting characters.

• Oct 25, 2015

I'll be honest, I didn't know what to expect out of this movie. however, this movie turned out to be quite fun and suspenseful. Snoop Dogg actually puts in a wonderful performance and the plot is predictable but a throwback to blaxploitation films.