Bottle Rocket - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

F : 85 %
R : 15 %
Crime 50% Drama 30% Comedy 20%
½ September 24, 2016
Offhanded and Neanderthal comedy... With fewer laughs then I expected. Maybe just not my type of comedy but there is still some entertainment value. Overall 2.5 stars
July 14, 2016
While the wilsons do an amazing job, it is Wes who shines! His mastery is evident from this debut. The shots were getting defined as his style and the colours were ever so stark and primary. I loved the last line of the movie which brought perspective to an ongoing problem of the lower middle class in the States. Great film!
½ July 6, 2016
It isn't without its flaws but it's a must see none the less.
April 10, 2016
Gave this one a re-watch via the Criterion Blu-ray and I have to say that I loved it every bit as much as I did with that first watch years ago on a rented VHS tape.

The tale of well-meaning but bumbling crooks, it has a very distinct low budget indie charm that I will always associate with a select little group of films from the '90s.

Recommended.
March 23, 2016
3.3/5
A charming even if a tad disperse, Bottle Rocket manages to be quite fun and unique in small but fairly important ways.
½ January 3, 2016
It amazes me that "critics" would give this movie 85% and Forest Gump 72%. This movie had no real entertainment value.
½ December 6, 2015
Wes anderson's first film with great performance and funny story. In this film there no obsession with symmetrical images.
½ October 25, 2015
Muy buena película, Wes Anderson un genio como siempre! gracias por esto
September 19, 2015
This is a high B+( 89).
August 5, 2015
The story of a crew of inept wanna-be criminals is engaging as a faux-caper and as buddy comedy. The story and characters are quirky, funny and has a certain charm, but mostly because they are all over the place. It's absurd, amusing and entertaining... and that's what makes it work.
July 30, 2015
A simplistic and charming tale about wannabe burglars. The pace is slow and there's not much to it, but the characters and their quirks keep you interested.
June 29, 2015
This is probably my favorite Wes Anderson movie and that sort of makes me the Wes Anderson of Wes Anderson fans, right?
June 27, 2015
Very good film that is his first. Quintessential Wes Anderson with quick cuts, tight shots, and multiple angles. Good acting by both Wilson's. Tight story with very different personalities within the characters - reminded me of the characters in Rounders a little. Good bits of humor throughout in Anderson's style. The movie starts strong and ends strong, but lags some in the middle and has trouble sustaining momentum throughout. James Caan makes a brief appearance and is great in his small role - love the twist with his character near the end. In all, not as polished as Grand Budapest or Moonrise Kingdom (my 2 favorites of his from what I've seen), but a very good first effort that was a lot of fun.

Grade = 8/10
½ June 5, 2015
Even film great Martin Scorsese liked this crime flick from fist time director Wes Anderson.
½ June 4, 2015
Wes Anderson's first feature is gives clear insight into the development of his signature style. Even from day one, his characters are fascinating, his stories are just the right amount of absurd, and the emotions run high. It's a style that is clearly in its infancy in this film and - as such- is not as perfected as it would be in his later films. Even so, it's a very funny, very dry, very Wes Anderson-y experience.
May 25, 2015
Wes Anderson's directorial debut is a good one.
½ May 12, 2015
This is the movie that started it all. Wes Anderson brings his awesome directing talent to his film debut, Bottle Rocket. This movie really capture a certain time period that never existed. This sounds like it'll make no sense but the way that the people dressed and the soundtrack and the dialogue made it seem like this was a period piece of a time that never existed. The story follows a group of criminals that go into hiding after their first heist and they get into a lot of funny situations including a bar fight and a cold storage break in. Owen and Luke Wilson are hilarious together, they have great chemistry together and pretty much every scene with them together guaranteed a laugh. The acting was great and as a result these great characters are born that made me laugh a lot. As you can assume I found Bottle Rocket to be really funny. The acting was funny, the situations they got in were funny, the setting was funny, everything was so quirky fun that it was hard not to crack a smile. The story has a lot of different levels but stays kind of simple in the very beginning since the only thing they really talk about is their heist they're planning. Later on though they have a romance, a conflict between Bob and Dignan, and another heist in the works. I was never bored of this movie and what it gave to me. What it gave me was a lot of happiness and a lot of laughs. Wes Anderson's direction is so good and so hard to not like. His quirky direction makes me as a viewer pleased with the setting, music, and characters and he really did a great job on this film. Bottle Rocket is an indie classic and I can see myself seeing it a lot in the future. B+
May 9, 2015
Stupid film, struggled to pay attention to it.
April 27, 2015
Starts out fine then just crawls to a halt.