Bottle Rocket - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bottle Rocket Reviews

September 6, 2017
Primo film per Wes Anderson e prima volta in cui rimango cosý deluso da una sua pellicola. Bottle Rocket Ŕ un film senza anima e senza morale: la storia Ŕ completamente a caso e non Ŕ riuscita a coinvolgermi neanche in un istante, vista l'assurditÓ dei personaggi e della sceneggiatura. Si riescono a notare le tipiche inquadrature del regista che resteranno una costante lungo tutta la sua futura filmografia, ma per il resto si tratta di un film da dimenticare.
½ September 1, 2017
Owen Wilson's best performance.
August 4, 2017
My line of the movie: "I'm not always as confident as I look".
June 2, 2017
This is just a strange film! All 3 of the main characters seem either dumb, mentally unable, or just plain lame. There is a robbery, some hotel time, and then another robbery. In between, just lots of uneasy interactions between characters, especially Dignan and Anthony. I'm really not sure what to make of this, but James Caan is in it. Hmm...
½ May 30, 2017
It took me nigh on the running time of this flick to find my US DVD player to playback the Criterion edition of this, but all was soon forgiven. This remains one of my favourite debut pictures of all time, alongside 'Blood Simple', 'Badlands' and 'The Night of the Hunter' because, like those films, you simply couldn't guess it is the director's first effort, and (arguably) it is their best work 'out of the gate', never to be bettered.

Anderson comes close with his next film 'Rushmore' which is pretty much an equal to this, but there is something about a guy just making a movie with his mates (and James Caan!) that was never so uncynically accomplished throughout his career to date. He has always had a knack of being able to convey the primitive joys of uncomplicated interactions between people and this is the core of Bottle Rocket really. This is how slightly odd people talk to each other. He goes a bit too far IMO with his later films, but here he is spot-on.

Killer soundtrack as always too.
½ May 30, 2017
Sans Bill Murray and the signature technical precision shots, Wes Anderson's characterisation with deadpan comicality and charming goofiness is already strikingly distinct in this directorial debut, co-written with Owen Wilson, about a trio of slackers aspiring to be professional larcenists.
½ May 7, 2017
Same with this review, forgot to write it yesterday, May 6, 2017. I'm not a huge Wes Anderson fan, and this just further confirms it.
February 18, 2017
Wes Anderson's trademark directorial style is on display here in one of his earliest films. The plot, though, never really seems to get its feet under itself---it was probably penned while the screenwriters were high.
December 27, 2016
This my favorite movie. I just watched it.
December 26, 2016
Bottle Rocket is an important introduction for many things. It's the debut of the Wilson brothers, Owen and Luke, the former of whom making a debut as both a writer and an actor. The two of them, as well as Robert Musgrave, make for a charismatic lead trio in this crime comedy flick, providing a unique kind of deadpan humor that really fits this story and its overall tone really well, especially in the heist scenes at the beginning and end of the film. But perhaps most importantly, it's the debut feature of Wes Anderson, and he truly hits it out of the park. There's lots of ways a movie about a group of robbers on the lam could be directed, but rather than going the standard ultra-serious crime drama route, Anderson opts for a slow-paced comedy with a mix of laughs and a sense of melancholic heart. The shenanigans all take place with the rural southwest as a backdrop, a perfect fit for this tale of the escape from chaos and finding out just what to do with your life. As a narrative, it never really amounts to anything significant aside from those themes, but that's the charm of Bottle Rocket. It's a quaint flick, but its aimlessness is endearing, and thankfully, Anderson is intelligent enough to make sure it never overstays its welcome.
½ November 8, 2016
3,5/5 Ratings for Bottle Rocket
F : 85 %
R : 15 %
Crime 50% Drama 30% Comedy 20%
½ September 24, 2016
Offhanded and Neanderthal comedy... With fewer laughs then I expected. Maybe just not my type of comedy but there is still some entertainment value. Overall 2.5 stars
July 14, 2016
While the wilsons do an amazing job, it is Wes who shines! His mastery is evident from this debut. The shots were getting defined as his style and the colours were ever so stark and primary. I loved the last line of the movie which brought perspective to an ongoing problem of the lower middle class in the States. Great film!
½ July 6, 2016
It isn't without its flaws but it's a must see none the less.
April 10, 2016
Gave this one a re-watch via the Criterion Blu-ray and I have to say that I loved it every bit as much as I did with that first watch years ago on a rented VHS tape.

The tale of well-meaning but bumbling crooks, it has a very distinct low budget indie charm that I will always associate with a select little group of films from the '90s.

Recommended.
March 23, 2016
3.3/5
A charming even if a tad disperse, Bottle Rocket manages to be quite fun and unique in small but fairly important ways.
½ January 3, 2016
It amazes me that "critics" would give this movie 85% and Forest Gump 72%. This movie had no real entertainment value.
½ December 6, 2015
Wes anderson's first film with great performance and funny story. In this film there no obsession with symmetrical images.
½ October 25, 2015
Muy buena pelÝcula, Wes Anderson un genio como siempre! gracias por esto
September 19, 2015