Bottle Rocket - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bottle Rocket Reviews

February 18, 2017
Wes Anderson's trademark directorial style is on display here in one of his earliest films. The plot, though, never really seems to get its feet under itself---it was probably penned while the screenwriters were high.
December 27, 2016
This my favorite movie. I just watched it.
December 26, 2016
Bottle Rocket is an important introduction for many things. It's the debut of the Wilson brothers, Owen and Luke, the former of whom making a debut as both a writer and an actor. The two of them, as well as Robert Musgrave, make for a charismatic lead trio in this crime comedy flick, providing a unique kind of deadpan humor that really fits this story and its overall tone really well, especially in the heist scenes at the beginning and end of the film. But perhaps most importantly, it's the debut feature of Wes Anderson, and he truly hits it out of the park. There's lots of ways a movie about a group of robbers on the lam could be directed, but rather than going the standard ultra-serious crime drama route, Anderson opts for a slow-paced comedy with a mix of laughs and a sense of melancholic heart. The shenanigans all take place with the rural southwest as a backdrop, a perfect fit for this tale of the escape from chaos and finding out just what to do with your life. As a narrative, it never really amounts to anything significant aside from those themes, but that's the charm of Bottle Rocket. It's a quaint flick, but its aimlessness is endearing, and thankfully, Anderson is intelligent enough to make sure it never overstays its welcome.
½ November 8, 2016
3,5/5 Ratings for Bottle Rocket
F : 85 %
R : 15 %
Crime 50% Drama 30% Comedy 20%
½ September 24, 2016
Offhanded and Neanderthal comedy... With fewer laughs then I expected. Maybe just not my type of comedy but there is still some entertainment value. Overall 2.5 stars
July 14, 2016
While the wilsons do an amazing job, it is Wes who shines! His mastery is evident from this debut. The shots were getting defined as his style and the colours were ever so stark and primary. I loved the last line of the movie which brought perspective to an ongoing problem of the lower middle class in the States. Great film!
½ July 6, 2016
It isn't without its flaws but it's a must see none the less.
April 10, 2016
Gave this one a re-watch via the Criterion Blu-ray and I have to say that I loved it every bit as much as I did with that first watch years ago on a rented VHS tape.

The tale of well-meaning but bumbling crooks, it has a very distinct low budget indie charm that I will always associate with a select little group of films from the '90s.

Recommended.
March 23, 2016
3.3/5
A charming even if a tad disperse, Bottle Rocket manages to be quite fun and unique in small but fairly important ways.
½ January 3, 2016
It amazes me that "critics" would give this movie 85% and Forest Gump 72%. This movie had no real entertainment value.
½ December 6, 2015
Wes anderson's first film with great performance and funny story. In this film there no obsession with symmetrical images.
½ October 25, 2015
Muy buena película, Wes Anderson un genio como siempre! gracias por esto
September 19, 2015
This is a high B+( 89).
August 5, 2015
The story of a crew of inept wanna-be criminals is engaging as a faux-caper and as buddy comedy. The story and characters are quirky, funny and has a certain charm, but mostly because they are all over the place. It's absurd, amusing and entertaining... and that's what makes it work.
July 30, 2015
A simplistic and charming tale about wannabe burglars. The pace is slow and there's not much to it, but the characters and their quirks keep you interested.
June 29, 2015
This is probably my favorite Wes Anderson movie and that sort of makes me the Wes Anderson of Wes Anderson fans, right?
June 27, 2015
Very good film that is his first. Quintessential Wes Anderson with quick cuts, tight shots, and multiple angles. Good acting by both Wilson's. Tight story with very different personalities within the characters - reminded me of the characters in Rounders a little. Good bits of humor throughout in Anderson's style. The movie starts strong and ends strong, but lags some in the middle and has trouble sustaining momentum throughout. James Caan makes a brief appearance and is great in his small role - love the twist with his character near the end. In all, not as polished as Grand Budapest or Moonrise Kingdom (my 2 favorites of his from what I've seen), but a very good first effort that was a lot of fun.

Grade = 8/10
½ June 5, 2015
Even film great Martin Scorsese liked this crime flick from fist time director Wes Anderson.
½ June 4, 2015
Wes Anderson's first feature is gives clear insight into the development of his signature style. Even from day one, his characters are fascinating, his stories are just the right amount of absurd, and the emotions run high. It's a style that is clearly in its infancy in this film and - as such- is not as perfected as it would be in his later films. Even so, it's a very funny, very dry, very Wes Anderson-y experience.
May 25, 2015
Wes Anderson's directorial debut is a good one.