A Boy Named Charlie Brown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Boy Named Charlie Brown Reviews

October 20, 2016
A Boy Named Charlie Brown, compared to other peanuts features holds up as a rather enjoyable family masterpiece. While the animation is not as fresh looking as the "The Peanuts Movie." I find it tobe a better representation of Charles Schulz characters both in the quality of the dialogue blending both universal concerns on life with the concerns a person faces in childhood. This blend is what makes Peanuts enjoyable for both adults and kids. The soundtrack is relaxing and leaves an imprint that is memorable and unique.
October 1, 2016
Definitely the best peanuts movie, Blue Sky did good, but these people did better.
August 17, 2016
I love this movie so much.
August 7, 2016
Who doesn't love the Peanuts gang? Charles Schultz beloved characters make their debut in this film and this is a really nice one to see.
July 23, 2016
One of my favorite movies, A Boy Named Charlie Brown balances sadness, jocularity, and charm in this mature musical for all ages.
½ February 19, 2016
Enjoyable animation that nicely captures the spirit of the comic strip.
January 4, 2016
Schulz characters constantly tug at my heartstrings. They are just so tragic but at the same time, real and endearing.
November 7, 2015
The Peanuts get their first ever feature film and it is a pure blast. Most for kids, this film follows Charlie Brown as he is picked on until he wins a spelling bee in order to prove to his friends that he is not stupid. It is a very harsh reality, but this film pulls it off well. With a great story for kids, great lessons for the young and old, and animation that will make you chuckle and keep a smile on your face, "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" is great! Although not too much happens, I can still call this a great recommendation to any Peanuts fans. By far my favourite aspect of this film is when Snoopy lies on his roof and instead of having an imaginary Dog Fights, he fears them from the past (the holiday specials). It is just a short scene but it was very memorable. There are a lot of callbacks to the shorts in this film and they were all done tastefully. "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" is a very well done first feature.
November 6, 2015
Absolutely wonderful
½ September 24, 2015
Anyone who doesn't like this movie didn't have a very happy childhood. This is one of the most heartfelt movies ever made. Charlie Brown taught me that even when everything goes wrong, don't give up. This film is a classic, and by far my favorite Charlie Brown movie.

Linus: But did you notice something, Charlie Brown?

Charlie Brown: What's that?

Linus: The world didn't come to an end.
January 12, 2015
It was a very funny, really cute and really entertaining animated family film. It had really nice animation, very good voice cast, great characters, great comedy, great drama, great adventure, really well done backgrounds, very jazzy music and a very interesting story. I haven't seen this movie in a very long time. This is going to be one of my favorite Peanuts movies I've ever seen in my whole life. I really recommend this movie to both kids and adults.
November 10, 2014
I watched this today for the first time since I was 5 or 6, and with the exception of a couple of musical sequences that were WAY too long, I loved it as much as I did back then. This is a great film for any Peanuts fan.
½ September 19, 2014
At the time of its release before Disney's masterpiece of Winnie the Pooh, the charming feature film of the Peanuts gang was one of the best films of the 60s with its same charms of cute and funny, and it's also one of the many best animated films of the 20th century. (A)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 21, 2014
For a first Peanuts film, it hold up well in the conversion from small screen to big screen, and it is much more likeable than "Snoopy Come Home". I liked the experimental film/song and dance numbers even if they didn't always work in the plot.
½ May 30, 2014
By golly this is a sweet and funny little movie! Tell you the truth I only have a very vague recollection of watching the ''Peanuts'' cartoons when I was young, and I'd completely forgotten about all these lovable characters, and the sincere yet offbeat nature Charles M.Schulz's writing.

The characters are great. The somewhat hapless yet eternally optimistic Charlie Brown is, of course, very easy to root for. Then we have Linus, Charlie's sage companion who has a childish habit of carrying around a blue blanket(which he refers to as his ''spiritual tourniquet''). Lucy Van Pelt is a bit like a precursor to Angelica Pickles from the Rugrats; Bossy and temperamental, she is quick to point out Charlie's many flaws. And, of course, there's Snoopy. The most iconic beagle of time provides hilarious visual gags and some splendid mouth-harp playing.

The story is slight, but contains buckets of wit, charm and wisdom: Essentially Charlie Brown is feeling a little depressed. From pitching at baseball to flying a kite, he just can't seem to get anything right. In an experiment to see if he is truly doomed to failure, Charlie decides to enter the school spelling bee. The movie has a surreal edge and a lot of humour that would probably go over the heads of small children. The kids in the movie don't speak exactly like every day real kids, but rather convey an endearing and frequently hilarious blend of smart-aleck precociousness and vulnerable childishness.

To raise a sore point, there are some truly horrible songs in this movie, courtesy of Rod McKuen. They really don't seem to match the tone of the movie at all, and the lyrics are so lazy and clumsy it's as if they were thrown together in five minutes. Luckily, most of them are ignorable enough, save for the mopie and violin-laden 'Charlie has a Way,' which is almost unendurable. Good grief it's bad! Such sap is an insult to the genuinely smart script and bright characters. All in all, though, this is a very funny and smart movie, which also sports a brilliant message of stoic endurance in the face of adversity.
February 12, 2014
A Boy Named Charlie Brown is one of my favorite films. It has a simple story, and uses some 1960's effects, but it is heartwarming and makes you cry. The depression, unrequited love, Schultz's characters, and Vince's amazing film score make this a touching film. :)
October 24, 2013
With quirky humor, likable characters and authentic approach, A Boy Named Charlie Brown is an almost flawless film and Snoopy is hilarious. The ending is so bald and unique that you start wonder why aren't more films like this. It has such a strong message and realistic ending, emotional resonance, great character development and humor, which are all the reasons why A Boy Named Charlie Brown should be placed in every critics' list of top ten animated films of all time.
October 14, 2013
Spent the entire afternoon watching Peanuts movies :) This film is good.
August 11, 2013
reminds me of the my child hood life & women miseries even in the adult hood life. Good grief !!!
July 16, 2013
I prefer the half-hour TV Peanuts specials to their full-length features. You can only do so much with these characters.