Brick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brick Reviews

July 22, 2017
This is my favorite movie of all time. It's about a kid that looks like Kevin Smanik.
July 1, 2017
It made me feel like I was back in high school, but a more icky high school with more annoying, pretentious kids than I thought possible, literally each set out to be clever or wicked. But even in the end of the day, taking this film noir with a grain of salt, the story and the performances are not compelling enough for me to enjoy the movie. Trust me, I tried.
December 22, 2016
Neo-noir meets the hierarchy of high school ... and it works. Very nicely done.
December 11, 2016
A wonderful noir mystery with a stone-cold, bad ass, yet sympathetic performance by Joseph Gordon Levitt. The style and direction makes this movie seem bigger than what it could've been and makes it so slick. The well written dialogue and awesome direction give me every right to say this movie is "PIMP"
½ September 10, 2016
A very interesting take on the neo-noir genre. Worth a watch at least for the novelty of it.
½ August 28, 2016
This is from the same director who did Looper and who's doing Star Wars E8 so I figured it was worth a look. Pretty solid stuff and an interesting concept. The dialogue is crisp and a young JGL is stellar.
July 17, 2016
Brick is a gripping thriller with a great leading performance from Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and captures the adolescent murder mystery theme well. However it has a strange tone at times which often feels reminiscent of a comedy film, and the characters (bar Brendan) are disappointingly kept at arm's length throughout. Despite this, Brick is intelligently plotted and ends brilliantly, ultimately leaving a bittersweet taste in the mouth.
½ June 19, 2016
Emily , del director de Looper
½ April 30, 2016
The mean streets don't get any nastier than the high school parking lots in this cool-crafted mystery.
½ April 30, 2016
Strikingly unique and stylishly bizarre, Brick may seem odd but it sure provides for some good entertainment. The gritty, fast-paced dialogue and crime schemes certainly are interesting when put in a high-school setting, and it's up to you whether it actually works or not. Personally I had lots of fun being drawn into that world.
½ April 28, 2016
An excellent film *IF* you can follow the dialogue. I had to watch it twice, once with the subtitles on, and even then had to pause and repeat several times to study what was being said and what it meant.
April 19, 2016
not gonna lie, i was lost
April 1, 2016
A very different and entertaining detective noir set in high school, has a very cool look and is really fast paced and kinda funny.
March 25, 2016
Absolutely brilliant. Rian Johnson delivers an interesting and clever take on the classic noir that isn't afraid at times to subtly make fun of itself.
March 15, 2016
A masterful debut. Ever inch, finely crafted noir.
March 9, 2016
Rating: 9.5/10

Think of this movie as Sin City for adolescents; so minus most of the profanity and violence, the black and white, and the sexual content. But that's not a bad thing in this movie's case. This is a tale that plays and speaks like an detective comic from the '50s. It's brilliant and dripping with style, which is impressive considering it was made for less than half a million dollars. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is outstanding, but he almost has the movie stolen from him by the equally impressive Nora Zehetner (Laura). This is a must-see.
March 7, 2016
One of my all time favorites. At times Brick can feel like a student film, especially with the action, but that only adds to its odd charm. Truly a one-of-a-kind film.
March 6, 2016
high school noir--not buying it.
½ February 24, 2016
Brick possesses a delightfully mature script filled with witty banter and crisp neo-noir one liners but when push comes to shove there is still something lacking from the film I can't quite pin point. Perhaps the unrealistic high school setting is what bothers me about this film as the clever dialogue feels faked and scripted coming out of the mouths of "high schoolers". In the end though Brick boasts well scripted action with an engaging story and interesting protagonist but never completely hits the pleasure center.
February 2, 2016
Gave this teen noir a re-watch recently and I can happily say that it holds up well, if you're willing to just go with the conceits of the film.

I mean, if you wanna be a humorless killjoy and nitpick about a bunch of high schoolers talking as if they just walked out of a '40s gangster picture, you're welcome to do so, but you'll be missing out on a great film while you're bitching.

Great performances and a worthwhile mystery, give it a rental.

Recommended.