Brick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brick Reviews

January 15, 2018
I found the pacing leaden and the performances flat. I didn't even finish watching it.
December 23, 2017
Here I am reviewing another on of Rian's movies. I saw it several years ago, and I can't remember much about it, apart from that someone died and I didn't care. Rian starts to show signs of what will later turn out to be his calling card; writing characters nobody cares about into boring, forgettable situations. But although it's really boring, it's also extremely pretentious. I give it one star because although it sucks, it doesn't fuck up the entire Star Wars universe both past and present.
½ December 22, 2017
The theme of movies I've been watching recently seems to be ones I'm really looking forward to that don't live up to the hype for me and me being disappointed by that. So, yeah, this is another one.
December 20, 2017
A perfect teenage film Nuir.
A wonderful acted and filmed mystery and emotional jurney for a new age. I am glad this film was made and it is good for repeated views and deeper appreciation.
December 7, 2017
A fantastic film noir, one of the best I'd dare say. It's got a compelling story, some neat twists, a fancy smart script, and JGL at his absolute best. You'd be a fool to pass this one up.
½ November 13, 2017
A old film noir set in modern(ish) high school. Sounds silly but it was played straight up and executed very well. The acting was quite good and the story was engaging and dark. The writing and cinematography and even scene transitions were spot on. Don't watch it as a mere gimmick.
½ October 11, 2017
Amazed how good this film was. It feels like "The Big Sleep" updated to a modern high school setting.
½ September 11, 2017
Brick is a solid directorial debut from Rian Johnson. The story is one filled with mystery, making it possibly better on a rewatch. Levitt is a solid lead and Johnson's directing helps liven things up.
September 3, 2017
A hard-boiled detective story set in a high school sounds like it'd be horrible, but Brick is brilliant
July 22, 2017
This is my favorite movie of all time. It's about a kid that looks like Kevin Smanik.
July 1, 2017
It made me feel like I was back in high school, but a more icky high school with more annoying, pretentious kids than I thought possible, literally each set out to be clever or wicked. But even in the end of the day, taking this film noir with a grain of salt, the story and the performances are not compelling enough for me to enjoy the movie. Trust me, I tried.
December 22, 2016
Neo-noir meets the hierarchy of high school ... and it works. Very nicely done.
December 11, 2016
A wonderful noir mystery with a stone-cold, bad ass, yet sympathetic performance by Joseph Gordon Levitt. The style and direction makes this movie seem bigger than what it could've been and makes it so slick. The well written dialogue and awesome direction give me every right to say this movie is "PIMP"
½ September 10, 2016
A very interesting take on the neo-noir genre. Worth a watch at least for the novelty of it.
½ August 28, 2016
This is from the same director who did Looper and who's doing Star Wars E8 so I figured it was worth a look. Pretty solid stuff and an interesting concept. The dialogue is crisp and a young JGL is stellar.
July 17, 2016
Brick is a gripping thriller with a great leading performance from Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and captures the adolescent murder mystery theme well. However it has a strange tone at times which often feels reminiscent of a comedy film, and the characters (bar Brendan) are disappointingly kept at arm's length throughout. Despite this, Brick is intelligently plotted and ends brilliantly, ultimately leaving a bittersweet taste in the mouth.
½ June 19, 2016
Emily , del director de Looper
½ April 30, 2016
The mean streets don't get any nastier than the high school parking lots in this cool-crafted mystery.
½ April 30, 2016
Strikingly unique and stylishly bizarre, Brick may seem odd but it sure provides for some good entertainment. The gritty, fast-paced dialogue and crime schemes certainly are interesting when put in a high-school setting, and it's up to you whether it actually works or not. Personally I had lots of fun being drawn into that world.
½ April 28, 2016
An excellent film *IF* you can follow the dialogue. I had to watch it twice, once with the subtitles on, and even then had to pause and repeat several times to study what was being said and what it meant.