Brick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brick Reviews

½ September 10, 2016
A very interesting take on the neo-noir genre. Worth a watch at least for the novelty of it.
½ August 28, 2016
This is from the same director who did Looper and who's doing Star Wars E8 so I figured it was worth a look. Pretty solid stuff and an interesting concept. The dialogue is crisp and a young JGL is stellar.
July 17, 2016
Brick is a gripping thriller with a great leading performance from Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and captures the adolescent murder mystery theme well. However it has a strange tone at times which often feels reminiscent of a comedy film, and the characters (bar Brendan) are disappointingly kept at arm's length throughout. Despite this, Brick is intelligently plotted and ends brilliantly, ultimately leaving a bittersweet taste in the mouth.
½ June 19, 2016
Emily , del director de Looper
½ April 30, 2016
The mean streets don't get any nastier than the high school parking lots in this cool-crafted mystery.
½ April 30, 2016
Strikingly unique and stylishly bizarre, Brick may seem odd but it sure provides for some good entertainment. The gritty, fast-paced dialogue and crime schemes certainly are interesting when put in a high-school setting, and it's up to you whether it actually works or not. Personally I had lots of fun being drawn into that world.
½ April 28, 2016
An excellent film *IF* you can follow the dialogue. I had to watch it twice, once with the subtitles on, and even then had to pause and repeat several times to study what was being said and what it meant.
April 19, 2016
not gonna lie, i was lost
April 1, 2016
A very different and entertaining detective noir set in high school, has a very cool look and is really fast paced and kinda funny.
March 25, 2016
Absolutely brilliant. Rian Johnson delivers an interesting and clever take on the classic noir that isn't afraid at times to subtly make fun of itself.
March 15, 2016
A masterful debut. Ever inch, finely crafted noir.
March 9, 2016
Rating: 9.5/10

Think of this movie as Sin City for adolescents; so minus most of the profanity and violence, the black and white, and the sexual content. But that's not a bad thing in this movie's case. This is a tale that plays and speaks like an detective comic from the '50s. It's brilliant and dripping with style, which is impressive considering it was made for less than half a million dollars. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is outstanding, but he almost has the movie stolen from him by the equally impressive Nora Zehetner (Laura). This is a must-see.
March 7, 2016
One of my all time favorites. At times Brick can feel like a student film, especially with the action, but that only adds to its odd charm. Truly a one-of-a-kind film.
March 6, 2016
high school noir--not buying it.
½ February 24, 2016
Brick possesses a delightfully mature script filled with witty banter and crisp neo-noir one liners but when push comes to shove there is still something lacking from the film I can't quite pin point. Perhaps the unrealistic high school setting is what bothers me about this film as the clever dialogue feels faked and scripted coming out of the mouths of "high schoolers". In the end though Brick boasts well scripted action with an engaging story and interesting protagonist but never completely hits the pleasure center.
February 2, 2016
Gave this teen noir a re-watch recently and I can happily say that it holds up well, if you're willing to just go with the conceits of the film.

I mean, if you wanna be a humorless killjoy and nitpick about a bunch of high schoolers talking as if they just walked out of a '40s gangster picture, you're welcome to do so, but you'll be missing out on a great film while you're bitching.

Great performances and a worthwhile mystery, give it a rental.

Recommended.
½ January 2, 2016
Brick offers a compelling story , great performances, fantastic visuals as well as a dark and moody tone. While parts of the film may be considered over the top to most, "Brick" is the type of film that will be judged entirely on the viewers perspective. Some may find it too gloomy, other may find that the dark atmosphere perfectly complements the films tone. I am on the side of those who love this movie. While some plot twists are predictable, like the ending, most of them are actually surprisingly unexpected. I loved the dialogue of the film, the way it is written and performed is absolutely amazing. Everything that is not explained via dialogue is explained through the masterful visuals. Joseph Gordon-Levitt does a spectacular job as the lead actor. Director Rian Johnson nails it out of the park for his first ever feature film. With gripping cinematography, a great (but slightly over the top) script, quick and flashy editing (in a good way), "Brick" is a great film. It definitely needs to be seen multiple times to understand the complete message being portrayed. I would highly recommend this movie to film buffs, or any one looking for a damn good modern day noir. As a whole, I think this is a great film.
½ January 1, 2016
Brick offers a compelling story , great performances, compelling visuals as well as a dark and moody tone. While parts of the film may be considered over the top to most, "Brick" is the type of film that will be judged entirely on the viewers perspective. Some may find it too gloomy, other may find that the dark atmosphere perfectly complements the films tone. I am on the side of those who love this movie. While some plot twists are predictable, like the ending, most of them are actually surprisingly unexpected. I loved the dialogue of the film, the way it is written and performed is absolutely amazing. Everything that is not explained via dialogue is explained through the masterful visuals. Joseph Gordon-Levitt does a spectacular job as the lead actor. Director Rian Johnson does nails it out of the park for his first ever feature film. With gripping cinematography, a great (but slightly over the top) script, quick and flashy editing (in a good way), "Brick" is a great film. It definitely needs to be seen multiple times to understand the complete message being portrayed. I would highly recommend this movie to film buffs, or any one looking for a damn good modern day noir. As a whole, I think this is a great film.
½ January 1, 2016
½ December 21, 2015
Film-Noir Meets 1940's Gangster With High School Drug Dealers....??????