The Brides of Dracula - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brides of Dracula Reviews

½ February 1, 2016
A girls school in Transylvania becomes targeted by the son of you know who for you know what. Hammer Studios was churning these period pieces out like my grammar school math teacher assigned homework and, while there's certainly a just-one-more feel to the proceedings, quality does indeed show. In typical style, a lurid fantasy creepily told. Who builds a girls school in Translyvania anyway? Still better than the gore pieces done today.
January 29, 2016
WOW......WOW......WOW......WOW.....WHAT A MOVIE.......I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH.......ITS GOT A GOOD CAST OF ACTORS/ACTRESSES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......I think that peter cushing (.R.I.P.), martita hunt (.R.I.P.), Yvonne monlaur, Freda Jackson (.R.I.P.), david peel (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......I think that the director of this classics/horror movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....I think that peter cushing is absolutely brilliant throughout this movie......

Christopher Lee says he refused to reprise his role as Dracula in a sequel. Hammer commissioned Jimmy Sangster to write a sequel script, Disciple of Dracula, with Dracula only making a cameo and the rest of the film about an acolyte of the vampire. This script was rewritten by Peter Bryan to remove references to Dracula, although Van Helsing was added. The script was then rewritten by Edward Percy.
"My own personal involvement in a film like Brides was always 100 percent, not because I felt it to be my duty but because I felt very strongly that the pictures were mine. No doubt Terry [Fisher] thought they were his and Jimmy Sangster thought they belonged to him. And Peter C knew they were his." - Producer Anthony Hinds
Most of the interior shots were done at Bray Studios. The exterior shooting locations were in nearby Black Park and Oakley Court.
The ending was to have originally had the vampires destroyed by a swarm of bats released from hell by an arcane ritual. This ending was rejected by Peter Cushing, who claimed that Van Helsing would never resort to the use of black magic. The concept of this ending was used three years later for the climax of Hammer's The Kiss of the Vampire.
Christopher Lee was approached to reprise his role as Dracula for this film but turned it down and the script was reshaped by Jimmy Sangster.
Jimmy Sangster, director Terence Fisher and Peter Cushing were reportedly involved in rewriting the script

Reception

Brides of Dracula holds a score of 71% on Rotten Tomatoes. The famous Spanish cult film director Jesus Franco credits this film as the one that inspired him to enter the horror film genre in 1961, resulting in his highly acclaimed The Awful Dr. Orloff.

Novelization

A paperback novelization of the film by Dean Owen was published by Monarch Books in 1960, and features:
an entire subplot about a character named Latour, a townsman who serves the Meinster estate;
a subplot where Van Helsing and Marianne fall in love and have sex;
the climax features a "black magic" ceremony where Dr. Van Helsing summons a swarm of vampire bats to destroy Baron Meinster for violating "the vampire code"...drinking the blood of his own mother and turning her into a vampire. This ending was not used in the film but it was used as the climax of the 1962 Hammer horror classic, "Kiss of the Vampire". In its climax, Professor Zimmer (played by Clifford Evans) performs the ceremony and the bats attack Castle Ravna and the vampires that are there.

DVD and Blu-ray Releases A region 1 DVD edition of the film (in a two double-sided disc box set, along with seven other Hammer classics originally distributed by Universal International) was released on 6 September 2005.
A region 2 DVD edition of the film was released on 15 October 2007.
A region B Blu-ray/DVD Double Play was released on August 26, 2013. This release was somewhat controversial among fans as the original aspect ratio was overcropped from 1.66 to 2.0.

I think that this is such a highly entertaining movie 2 watch, its got such a fantastic cast throughout this movie.......I think that this is such a great movie 2 watch, its got a brilliant cast throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a great classics movie 2 watch with such a fantastic cast throughout this movie........
½ January 26, 2016
Gothic and visually voluptuous. Peter Cushing proves once again that he is an unheralded badass.
December 29, 2015
It's kind of amazing how well this film ends up working given it's pretty awful script. The first act is great, but given what happens in this first part, it's incomprehensible that Yvonne Monlaur's Marianne could be so unbelievably stupid in the rest of the film. The impressive cast, in particular Freda Jackson who is just amazing, save the film despite it's narrative weaknesses, which in addition to Marianne's idiocy include a climax full of jaw-droppingly arbitrary plot contrivances.
October 1, 2015
The epitome of a vampire movie, a gothic movie, and a good movie in general. A classic. A classic classic. The best of the Hammer Horror Dracula film series, and it doesn't even have Dracula in it. Peter Cushing is amazing. You must watch. Buy some candles, turn off all the lights, let the moonlight in, and watch.
May 22, 2015
Brilliantly lush visuals and atmosphere, interesting story and strong cast make this refreshingly old-fashioned gem.
½ May 11, 2015
Not a memorable as Horror of Dracula, even still, it's a pretty entertaining vampire flick. Cushing is the highlight since Lee isn't here, but the other cast members are pretty good too. The plot isn't too smooth, but it's easy enough to follow.
March 8, 2015
Hammer Gothic goodness. Peter Cushing kills it as Dr Van Helsing
February 9, 2015
Although Christopher Lee is sadly absent, Hammer still manages to put on a pretty good show. Dracula has been vanquished (in an earlier film) but his minions still infest Transylvania. With excellent gothic sets and costumes, this rather minimal tale of a young teacher in training almost falling prey to one of Dracula's heirs (whose mother procures for him) has enough new angles to keep even the most jaded vampire watcher interested. But it is still just what you'd expect and nothing much more - Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) saves the day (just barely). Worth a look if you are trawling for this sort of thing (that is, on the right side of the line for Hammer).
½ February 7, 2015
Not excatley a tour de force like Dracula was, but there is still something to love about this film!
November 12, 2014
well crafted hammer horra
August 5, 2014
Brilliantly lush color, scenery and atmosphere, superlative cast and great fun. Much better than these modern attempts.
February 5, 2014
One of the best damn Hammer Horror films I have seen to date, and a worthy follow-up to my favorite HORROR OF DRACULA. All of the major talent of the first film (sans Christopher Lee) is back here, and is appreciated most notably in the form of a moody Jimmy Sangster script, stylized direction by Hammer heavyweight Terence Fisher and another unbelievably suave performance by Peter Cushing as the legendary Dr. Van Helsing- one of my favorite actor-to-part marriages in all of cinema. Hammer was always pushing boundaries, and here they take the raw sexuality and gothic violence of the first film a step further. But what i love most about this sequel is its set design, which is beautiful and creepy all at once, and which is used so effectively and directly to tell this story. the mise-en-scene is quite different than that of the first film, and I sank deeply into these shadowy village and castle sequences. It's escapist horror of the highest order.
½ October 12, 2013
Although directed with flair by Fisher and starring the reliable Cushing this is a poor sequel to Hammer's 'Horror of Dracula' and is also a bit of a cheat as it doesn't actually feature Dracula. Instead we have Peel as Baron Meinster, a villain so pathetic he has been chained in his room for the last few years by his mother! Although Cushing is solid his Van Helsing is a dull character next to his more recent Frankenstein and Holmes roles with Hammer and he has little to do until a bizarre burning ritual at the end. Some of the acting in the film, especially from the leading actress, is poor and Peel doesn't have the charisma to convince as Meinster. Thankfully their is some excellent support from Freda Jackson, Martita Hunt and Miles Malleson who bring their A-game to a weak entry in the Hammer series.
½ September 22, 2013
P. Cushing kao Dr. Van Helsing je odlican, samo steta sto C. Lee nije glumio Grofa Drakulu :/
July 30, 2013
Peter Cushing is the only good thing in this movie other then that its dull. The ending is so bad its laughable
½ May 29, 2013
A Hammer Horror Dracula film which doesen't have Christopher Lee in it.
April 19, 2013
Not a bad Dracula film, with some.. very interesting ideas, but the ideas don't hide the fact that this feels a reel too short, like it seems to be missing more. A mother keeps her son chained to the wall. Why? A young school teacher finds out the hard way why this is after she unchains him. Luckily, Dr Von Helsing is around to help out. I would have liked to see more of the vampire story, and maybe less of the brides. It just seems rather incomplete.
February 7, 2013
From Hammer, in the early 1960's, Hollywood came calling to this small studio, and they answered to Universal Pictures, who wanted them to do a sequel to Hammer, with Christopher Lee not wanting to return to the role of Dracula (yet), Hammer decided to do one with Van Helsing. It was still successful, and it's a very lavish film thanks to the talents of Hammer veteran director Terence Fisher. In Transylvania, Marianne Danielle (Yvonne Monlaur), has come from Paris to take a position at a girls school belonging to Herr Lang (Henry Oscar) and his wife Frau Lang (Mona Washbourne). However, Marianne is invited to spend the night of the mansion of Baroness Meinster (Martita Hunt), who has a son, Baron Meinster (David Peel) is locked up in a room, but Marianne sets the Baron free and he goes around as a creature of the night. By sheer luck, Dr. Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) has arrived in town, and he hears about what's going on, and he investigates what might be the cause, his worst fears are confirmed, as he's not long faced vampires. It's a very rich looking film with good colour and some grand and well designed sets. Cushing is as good as ever, and the rest of the cast do good too, it's the missing link between Dracula (1958) and Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966), and it's well worth a look.