Brighton Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brighton Rock Reviews

½ August 8, 2017
Richard Attenborough is so good at playing a psychopath. Surprisingly dark for the year it was made.
½ August 8, 2017
This had done the impossible: creating an American Noir in Britain.
July 7, 2017
Moody British film noir with a classic performance by Richard Attenborough.
½ June 12, 2016
Well made story of a small time Brighton gangster.
½ January 4, 2016
Sinister excellence.
May 17, 2015
Attenborough is a chilling villain. Brilliant performance. One of the most evil antagonists of all. Nearly everyone is superb. Loved Carol Marsh, as well. 1947, not 1951. The ending is unsatisfactory. Half-star demerit.
January 21, 2015
Though some of the histrionic acting may blunt the impact this dark British noir tale has today, Attenborough's chilling performance as a sinister, psychopathic thug is still effective and unforgettable.
November 6, 2014
Sir Richard Attenborough (RIP this year) provides a psychotic turn as an (impossibly) young gang leader in the seaside town of Brighton. First, he hunts and kills a newspaper reporter who told too much in the press (leading to a gang member's death). Then, in trying to create an alibi, he more or less dominates a young waitress by pretending he is in love with her to make sure she doesn't talk. Moody and with a good sense of place -- but also suspenseful (like a good detective story) when Hermione Baddeley's character gets on Pinkie's (Dickie's) trail and starts collecting evidence to turn over to the police. The ending -- some call it a "trick ending" -- is a surprise and I think I like it (everything pushes you to expect something different, which of course must eventually happen anyway). Graham Greene wrote the original novel and the screenplay here; Catholicism does play a role. A very good Brit noir.
July 20, 2014
A classic British film of the post-War era starring a young Richard Attenborough as the scheming and heartless "Pinky" Brown, a small time gang leader involved in the seedy underworld of Brighton. Taken from a novel by Graham Greene, the plot focuses on the way in which Pinky ruthlessly manipulates an innocent, unsophisticated young waitress into marriage in order to stop her from revealing his involvement in a murder. As the situation spirals out of Pinky's control, he becomes increasingly desperate to cover up his crimes which leads to disastrous consequences. Filmed in a "noir" style, the movie manages to hold the attention and suspense despite the inevitable dated feel to some of the characterisation and dialogue. This is due in no small part to the fantastic direction of John Boulting as well as the considerable talents of the cast. Joining Attenborough is William Hartnell, Nigel Stock and the marvellous Hermione Baddeley who takes on an almost Agatha Christie style role as an entertainer who is determined to see justice done. This splendid movie has rightly been praised for many years and is still a fantastic piece of cinematic art. Attenborough is full of menace and utterly convincing, proving that he is an extraordinarily versatile actor capable of much more than the cuddly grandfather figures that he has gone on to play many times since.
June 23, 2014
(78%)
A true, gritty British film noir with a fine, and very intense performance from Attenborough. It's easy to see how this could shock people from back in the day, with face slashing and cold blooded crooks. Well worth tracking down for those with any interest in true classic cinema.
June 10, 2014
For a gangster movie from the 40s, it has a very modern feel to it with the treatment of Pinkie. He has a smoothness that the American gangster movies in the 30s lacked, but still didn't have quite the punch that they did.
May 13, 2014
Periodic strong segments and some good performances still don't bring this film as a whole above a mid-level production. Worth watching, but only occasionally riveting. Very interesting to see the young Richard Attenborough as the gangster Pinkie Brown. I think Johnny Depp might have modeled some of his performances at least partly on Pinkie Brown.
May 6, 2014
wow brilliant.....amazing......i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a great movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie......i think that richard attenborough, hermione baddeley (.R.I.P.), william hartnell (From the brilliant tv series Doctor Who, .R.I.P.), carol marsh (.R.I.P.), harcourt williams (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts thorughout this movie......i think that the director of this mystery/suspense/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......i think that Richard Attenborough as Pinkie Brown, was so brilliant throughout this movie as the psychotic teenager throughout this movie as he was so brilliant throughout this movie in the lead role of pinkie........its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie........

At the time of its release, Brighton Rock received critical acclaim and was the most popular British film of 1947. The film currently scores 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. The film was banned in New South Wales (australia)........

i think that Ronald Shiner (.R.I.P.) as the Look - Out (uncredited), was good throughout this movie.........i think that Joan Sterndale-Bennett (.R.I.P.), was good throughout this movie.......i think that Alan Wheatley (.R.I.P.) as Fred Hale was good thorughout this movie.......i think that this is such a classics movie 2 watch......i think that Wylie Watson (.R.I.P.) as Spicer was good throughout this movie......i think that Hermione Baddeley (.R.I.P.), as Ida Arnold was brilliant throughout this movie as she was so funny throughout this movie........its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a brilliant classics movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.......

Greene and Terence Rattigan wrote the screenplay for the 1947 film adaptation, produced and directed by John and Roy Boulting, with assistant director Gerald Mitchell. The climax of the film takes place at the Palace Pier, which differs from the novel, the end of which takes place in the nearby town of Peacehaven.....

i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its so really well directed as its all in black/whtie, it is such a classics movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
November 23, 2013
Psychopathic gangster Pinkie Brown looks to put an end to suspicion above him, but seems cornered by his actions and his catholic guilt. British noir with arresting and moody visuals and well drawn characters, namely a young and fierce Richard Attenborough.
½ November 17, 2013
I really enjoyed watching this movie at the UPP as I hat to for my Silver Arts Award and it was better than I expected it to be.
½ November 12, 2013
Overrated Brit noir. Dicky as Pinky rocks it, he's awesome. And it's an interesting tale with lots of sad, hopeless characters. But if couldn't really hold my interest, and I found it hard to work out some of the finer points (eg: the "card") and thus motivations at times. Some religious nuttiness is worked in quite well. Best thing about it is the mise-en-scene of inter-war Brighton, and how much it different from my wonderful memories of millennial Brighton - or in many cases, how much is still the same.
July 24, 2013
I wasn't all that into this until the very end. Sure the shots of Brighton by the sea were pleasant, but I am not usually into gang storylines. The women characters were more interesting then the men, although I did find Pinkie quite intriguing as I really like Richard Attenborough. I would have given this only three stars, but the ending was so memorable and suddenly it went up in my estimation!
July 23, 2013
Richard Attenborough plays a sadistic gangster in this classic, He plays the role so well, He even looks evil, classic stough
July 16, 2013
An Early Green Masterpiece About Pure Evil--Brighton Noir!!
½ July 2, 2013
"Brighton Rock" necessarily jettisons or misses a few things in its transition from page to the screen, partly due to the production code, partly due to the constraints (primarily time constraints) of the medium. Still, whatever the Boulting brothers' film may have lost from its Graham Greene source material it very capably makes up for with its many cinematic virtues. The casting is exceptional: Attenborough plays Pinkie, a seemingly impossible character, to perfection, and in what seems the only way possible--with absolute conviction and a kind of baby-faced simplicity. Hermione Baddeley is just as capable in an equally iconic, almost archetypal role, as Ida, the lounge singer Earth Mother. The supporting players bring a wonderfully varied and colorful texture to the milieu--though the film is largely set in and around Pinkie's apartment, seeing those faces and hearing those voices paints a vivid picture of a time and place (the opening titles are eager to remind us that, just a decade after the novel was published, England has eradicated the organized crime problem around Brighton Rock). The atmosphere and texture of the titular setting are palpably seedy, particularly in the opening sequence, which is visualized an inventiveness, suspense, and hardness to match Greene's terse, unsentimental prose. Boulting's mis-en-scene, lighting, camerawork, and cutting are masterful (though a few of the exterior scenes lack the controlled precision of the more intimate conversations and smaller scaled set pieces), and the finale is a masterful piece of adaptation, taking a deeply literary ending and finding a thoroughly cinematic equivalent that, in a very different way, manages to be just as startling, moving, and devastating a dramatization of Greene's "appalling strangeness of the mercy of God." One of the great crime pictures, British or otherwise.