Brimstone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brimstone Reviews

June 13, 2017
the actors were very good at their roles. Even if one lost her voice you could still feel what she was going through. Gruesome imagery yes, but it portrayed fiercely the cruelty of the world that is not always bearable to watch, but bringing it to the big screen with a nice filming was enjoyable as movie.
June 10, 2017
Savage...riveting and compelling.
½ June 9, 2017
Really not sure why so many people didn't like this film. Yes, it's dark, yes it's grim - that is it's intent. You are supposed to feel sympathy and empathy for the main characters as they are abused in horrendous ways.
[Spolier alerts]
I wonder if it's the fact that the villain of the piece, Guy Pearce's dutch immigrant pastor, is utterly evil and for most of the film justifies his evil by quoting scripture?
Or is it that people don't like to deal with the horrendous oppression that women often suffer in patriarchal societies that treat them as property?
Either way I think Pearce, Fanning and the rest of the cast do a great job with difficult and uncomfortable material.
June 4, 2017
Good drama, harsh to bear through.
½ June 2, 2017
more than 10 minutes of suffering for the Reverend needed at the end to complete katharsis ... and gain more stars from the audience
½ May 30, 2017
One of the most hard hitting Westerns directed by an European with a female protagonists. Beautiful direction and cinematography with a gritty, courageous story.
½ May 24, 2017
Very long messed up drama! Magnificent performances by all of the actors! Guy Peirce killing it as the scary kreepy father. Whoa!!! Emilia Jones..wow! & Dakota Fanning.. might be her best performance yet! Amazing!!! This movie is not for the faint of heart! It is brutal! Be prepaired.
May 21, 2017
This is a disturbing film to watch, of that there is no doubt. It was like a nightmare that I could not turn off even though a few times I wanted to. There is an overwhelming theme of hopelessness and dread throughout from the point of view of the protagonist. The jumps in time are used effectively to make some sense out of what at first is completely unexplainable. The themes in the story strike intelligently at times at a high level and certainly got my mind pondering philosophically for hours afterwards. I was particularly impressed by this aspect of the film. The first act in particular generated a great deal of anger in me, in fact I don't recall the last time I was so enraged at a fictional character on screen. That said, Pearce's character is effective and particularly well acted and written as one of the most realistic and diabolical on-screen psychopaths perhaps since Hannibal Lecter. The deplorable treatment of women in this period piece I believe effectively generates sympathy towards women's rights causes. This works in a similar fashion to how Unforgiven coveys a strong anti-violence message. This film also effectively pans the underpinnings of Christian fundamentalism by showing the extremes it can get to. Dakota Fanning's performance was solid by generating endearment of her character in an undeniably tough role. The film is worth viewing if you are into intellectual stimulation, emotional stimulation (anger and dread in particular,) period pieces that immerse you in an alternate reality. If amusement and pure entertainment with a neat happy ending are your thing, then this is not worth seeing.
May 20, 2017
170316 & 170520: Hung by the neck with your own intestines, and still alive. Need I say more about the nature of this film? I thanked God when I reached the fourth chapter titled "Retribution". Brimstone is a long, slow and painful journey. I thought I was going to be happy to have this story over but then my hopes were ripped away. I needed this film like a hole in the head. Features at least two unique handguns that are going to drive me verification crazy. A modern western can go a long way with me but this film is so bleak, I can only give it three stars. It's probably worth more.
May 20, 2017
Great movie. Great acting.
½ May 19, 2017
Uninteresting, boring movie with an unattractive storyline. Writing is not convincing, characters are not logical and plot is awkward. Way too long. Shameless cameo. Great cast but terrible writing
½ May 12, 2017
This was just a very disturbing movie that leaves you feeling horrible. Just don't understand why this movie made it to the screen. Too long as well.
May 10, 2017
This movie is like chemotherapy, in a way it shows us the cancer of human nature when left in a hermetically sealed theology. It especially shows the struggles of women over the ages, where this movie resembles a western "China Town".

I wouldn't recommend the movie to anyone who has trauma issues.
May 9, 2017
Fantastic movie! Great cast and well paced. Really don't quite understand some of the hate levelled at this by the critics; maybe touched a few nerves? Either way, it's a Helluva ride - this movie explores quite a few issues; familiar abuse, religion and it's perverse use to rationalise inhuman behaviour, love, loss and quite a few indescribable acts of violence... Strung together with solid performances from all involved. Guy Pearce really does shine in this, but that's not to say the rest of the cast weren't excellent as well.
May 7, 2017
I registered just to post this comment. Such great cast in such a turd of a movie should be illegal.

The whole movie is long, dreadful and it's as if you're waiting for something to happen, but it never does. I think the 90% of that 53% positive rating comes from hardcore FemNazis or something, because it features a strong female character. But it's a truly awful movie.. Watch "The girl with all the gifts" if you want strong female leads in an awesome movie. Please skip this one....
May 6, 2017
Pierce and Fanning are great in their roles. The movie drags on a little too much, but the grim story of retribution is interesting enough.
May 2, 2017
Interesting - but too long!
May 2, 2017
There are some demons that you can't run away from. So this is about a mute wife (Dakota Fanning). She has a family and is reasonably happy life in the Old Time West. When a new Reverend comes to town, she starts acting strangely and wants to pack up and leave town immediately. What exactly is going on here? I will watch any Western that crosses my path, regardless if it gets a theatrical release or gets swept away straight to DVD. This is the latter to be sure, as it only really played at a few festivals before becoming available to rent on Netflix. There's a lot going on in this movie, and it is much less straightforward than your garden variety Western. This is really more of a mystery than anything, and that has everything to do with the structure of the story. It is told in four chapters, but if you were to rearrange the story to be in chronological order, it would be 3, 2, 1, 4. That makes it so it is always engaging, and it always feels like there is something more going on here. You want to know the history of the protagonist's situation, like how this woman wound up a mute. Dakota Fanning has really grown into quite an actress, and I was thoroughly impressed with her abilities; you know that it couldn't have been easy for her to emote without using spoken words. Also, given the fact that this story is told over the span of years, they needed to get a younger version of her, and the little girl that they got to play the younger version of her is a dead ringer. I do also like Guy Pearce as an actor, and I've been a fan of his ever since back in his Memento days. Even though his career didn't become as prosperous as it could have, I always like it when he shows up in a story. Here, he is playing this religious bastard who justifies all of his actions as being God's will, and he makes for a threatening and intimidating antagonist. All compliments aside, I don't think I will ever watch this movie again. As good as the production values are, this is a very long 150 minute runtime. There is hardly a single ounce of mirth to be found in this, and this is both very adult and unpleasant. I can deal with a long running time or a feel bad movie, but I usually have a disconnect when the Venn diagram intersects, especially when the story is mostly all one note. Brimstone is well enough made, but you're not going to walk away with a whole lot of positive flowery feelings towards it.
½ May 1, 2017
Dark, depressing and disturbing.
½ April 29, 2017
This movie requires a strong heart and strong stomach. It's long and brutal. It begs the question if showing true evil is brave and refreshing from the sugar coated crap Hollywood churns out typically, or if true evil should never be shown at all.