Bringing Up Bobby Reviews

• Feb 17, 2016

Dramatic story of a mother who must decide what is best for her child. Well-acted, but familiar plot.

• Feb 13, 2015

I kept wondering where it was going, and it ended before it really came to a conclusion. I looked at the screen and thought "Oh wow, that would be dumb if this is where it ends" and then the credits rolled. I only watched it because it took place in my home state, where good people quote the bible and bad people smoke weed and live in train cars. Bobby was pretty unlikable and he didn't really grow much, and by the time some growth happened with Olive, the movie was over. Oh well.

• Sep 17, 2014

There was nothing wrong with Pullman's performance. His character was a little lackluster, but I believe that was a script or story problem. Jovovich, however, was a different story. Everything about her performance seemed forced, even ridiculous at times. http://trust-the-dice.blogspot.com/

• Feb 17, 2014

Monday, February 17, 2014 (2012) Bringing Up Bobby DRAMA Co-written by actress Famke Janson, directed and starring Milla Jovovich as single mother Olive an Ukrainian woman who's trying to raise her 11 year old son Bobby right, who she'll probably won't get any 'mother of the year' awards since she lies, cheats and steals during her stay as an American citizen. And because the movie is about 11 year old Bobby, it shows him to be a total douche as both their worlds come for the turn for the worst as she gets arrested. Resorting her to give up custody to a wealthy family (Bill Pullman and Marcia Cross) who has coincidently had just lost their own son. And once Olive is let out, her son Bobby resorts back to his bad behaviour again. Strictly-by-the-book plot with nothing people can't come up with by themselves. And I also have to say that it's hard to sympathize with characters who initially act like a couple of self indulgent douches. 2 out of 4 stars

• Christopher H Super Reviewer
    Jan 28, 2014

Many questions arise from watching "Bringing Up Bobby". First of which, why did actress Famke Janssen decide to write, direct, and produce this film as her first directorial venture? A somewhat successful actress in her own right, you would assume either this was a passion project of hers or something she felt very strongly about. But the premise of the film sees a European ex-con artist, trying to raise her son while on the run in the United States. Stated on Wikipedia, the idea was inspired by her own perceptions of the United States, after moving here from the Netherlands in 1984, but why it is handled in such a haphazard and non-cohesive way is still up for question. Another question arises of why Milla Jovovich, another somewhat successful actress, would sign on to star as the lead in this film? Having been born in the Soviet Union, you would also imagine she could pull off a Russian accent, but unfortunately, she cannot, as it comes off muddled and over exaggerated. The biggest flaw of the film is the lack of empathy created for any of the paper-thin characters, as they are all unlikeable in one way or another. With no real direction to speak of, you have to wonder where this came from and who it was meant for. Why some actors decide to become directors is beyond me, but with a first showing like this, there is no where to go but up.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Jan 19, 2014

In "Bringing Up Bobby," Olive(Milla Jovovich) has just stolen a car but will have to wait to a few days for payment from her friend and fence, Walt(Rory Cochrane). In the meantime, she meets with every religious person in Oklahoma while her son Bobby(Spencer List) struggles in school. So, she makes a deal with him to raise his grades, just before tragedy strikes... With the exception of Bill Pullman's easygoing charm as its sole saving grace, "Bringing Up Bobby" is a slapdash and amateurish movie. Otherwise, the performances mostly consist of cartoon accents which is a shame because Milla Jovovich proved she can act when she held her own previously in "Stone" with Edward Norton and Robert De Niro. With "Bringing up Bobby," the contrived story has little going beneath its rough surface in taking so much time in exploring how bad a mother Olive is when in fact it could have gotten quite a bit darker in exploring her questionable motivations.

• Jun 30, 2013

This film doesn't seem to be very popular, but I really enjoyed it. Cartoonish on the surface, it's really quite moving in the end. Excellent performances, well-written and directed. Visually attractive, and surprisingly thoughtful. I think that female-focused films will always have a harder time critically, plus this is a Eurocentric view of America which probably didn't go down too well in the heartland.

• Apr 17, 2013

Having fallen in love with Milla Jovovich in the 1990's classic sci fi film 'The fifth Element', I was very keen to see her new film 'Bring up Bobby'. This film is about as far away from the aforementioned as is possible, it is the story of a Mother and her son, alone in the world, making ends meet by means not always in line with the law. Olive is a young single mother from Eastern Europe who finds herself living in Oklahoma more by luck than judgement? Her son Bobby played brilliantly by 'Spencer List' is a mischievous young chap who seems to be following his mothers behaviour a little too closely. All changes when Bobby is hit by a car whilst he is out on his skateboard. The film is an unusual tale, featuring people whose paths wouldn't normally cross, and when they do they lead to life changing decisions. We really enjoyed the film, it's very funny in places and also very sad in others. Like life really. It's directed by first time director Famke Janssen of 'X-Men' fame. Having watched the film it also made me want to see 'The Fifth Element' again so I can fall in love with Liloo all over again!

• Feb 21, 2013

i have no idea what fake janssen wanted to work out of her system with this movie, but in any case: it did NOT work out. i have no idea where to start. this was the worst film i´ve seen in a very long time.

• Feb 02, 2013

"<b>Bringing Up Bobby</b> was really bad. I just could not get into it. I like Bill Pullman and he gives a solid performance. But man Milla Jovovich was so bad in this. I was surprised at how annoyed I was with her performance and her character. Rory Cochrane was bad as well as was his character. The little boy gave a good performance though. The story is about a mother who came to America looking for a better future for her and for her son. But instead of a better future she has turned to a life of conning and stealing. This eventually lands her in Prison and her son off and adopted by a man who accidently hit her son with his car. That right there says enough about this film. Not seeing this again obviously."