Broken Embraces - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Broken Embraces Reviews

½ October 9, 2016
OMG, the most idiotic, pointless crap I've seen in a long-long time! I can't believe this is Almodovar. If you are into him, see Volver. If you are into iconic Spanish films, go for Bunuel.
Why would anyone recommend this movie, full of childishly lame characters, hilariously blunt dialogues, boring plot, and even bad performances?! OK, I got it. The only reason imaginable is (SPOILER ALERT!!!) the tits of Penelope Cruz! :-o ;)

(PS: in fact, the only reason I registered here to warn humankind that the current 81% score by critics is an obvious telltale sign of an international conspiracy! ;) DON'T TRUST THEM, fellow film-lovers!)
½ April 23, 2016
Pedro aldomovar in serious mood downbeat lacking the joie de vivre of earlier works, however 2 great performances from the leads raise this complex tale beyond the normal fare.
August 27, 2015
A pretentious soap-opera/melodrama, ridiculously self-aggrandizing, that seems like an empty exercise to explore the beauty of Almodóvar's muse Penélope Cruz with his lustful camera - and the unwelcome self-reference to one of his classic films is not only unfunny but a complete embarrassment.
June 2, 2015
Broken Embraces is up there with one of my favorite of Pedro Almodóvar melodramas. It's beautiful to a fault, sexy as hell, delicious, and a complexly written tale of love and movies, tragedy and revenge. So amazing!!!
½ May 1, 2015
Almodovar si cimenta con un soggetto un po' noir con misteri e tradimenti. Secondo me on è il suo lavoro e si vede, la storia non ti tiene sulle corde, non c'è thrilling e pure il colpo di scena finale (in cui si scopre che il giovane è il figlio di lui) è super scontato. Anche la costruzione della trama: avrebbe preso la sufficienza se fosse uscito negli anni '90, ma qui parliamo di un film del 2009.
½ April 10, 2015
The story of a blind writer and director. We get to know his story - especially the complex story from 14 years ago, when he met Lena.

Lena, acted out by Penélope Cruz, is in a unhappy relationship with a older, quite powerful man that is absolutely obsessed with Lena. We switch from Mateo Blanco's life back then, and now - when he has reincarnated as Harry Caine - a longened pseudonym of his.

Pretty complex film, but not super hard to hang on too. It's smart and it looks lovely on screen. It's enjoyable to watch the story slowly opening up for you.
Mysterious and well acted film that makes you wonder. The opening scene with the blonde made me really curious and put me in a state that I should not believe everything being told here. A plus. Probably. It's rather slow and few moments are standing out - one of the weaker points here.

Well directed film but not Pedro's best - actually far from it. Still a really solid film that gives you an engaging story that need a lot of your focus.

7 out of 10 white canes.
March 22, 2015
Broken Embraces is a unique and interesting film, seeming surreal and slightly comedic throughout.
March 9, 2015
It's Almodovar, so I liked it, but it has a lot of problems. While he often merges clashing styles successfully, this time the broad soap elements (especially in the non-Cruz acting) clash with the general sense of realism (in the depiction of things like filmmaking and blindness), which both clash with the attempts at Hitchcockian suspense, which doesn't come off at all because the plot doesn't have a whole lot of stakes. Add to that a bunch of momentum-killing exposition and a bland, generic visual style, and you have a movie that never quite gets off the ground.
January 20, 2015
Almodovar mas cinefilo que nunca ! Con una historia tipica del director ,llenade guiños a peliculas clà sicas e incluso a su propio cine , logra una pelicula visualmente poderosa y un diseño de produccion magistral , pero con un argumento flojo,previsible y muy alargado .
½ November 15, 2014
A shapely blonde sits across from a man who is middle-aged, balding, but handsome. He is blind, perhaps from an accident or too many days of staring blankly into the sun.
"What's your name?" the woman asks.
"Harry Caine," he replies. But a voiceover shares that he used to be Mateo Blanco and a film director; but after a tragedy occurred, he abandoned his past, became his pseudonym, and started a new career as a screenwriter.
We can wonder if a beautiful woman like this mystery blonde was part of Harry's downfall; we can also wonder if his permanent blindness formed because of her. "Broken Embraces" marks for a shift in the filmography of Pedro Almodóvar; after years of creating ballsy comedies or moody dramas, "Broken Embraces" seems like his first Hollywood film, both in style and in story.
It's unmistakably modern but there's also something about it that falls under that "The Postman Always Rings Twice" or "Vertigo" category; it's full of romantic obsessions and it fixates on Penélope Cruz with eye-catching allure. Maybe the film feels so old-fashioned because there seems to be a rapport between Almodóvar and Cruz that is reminiscent of Anna Karina and Jean-Luc Godard or Tippi Hedren and Alfred Hitchcock. But no matter. "Broken Embraces" is a bold but instantly enjoyable thriller.
The story jumps between the past and the present; when Harry is visited by a man named Ray X (Rubén Ochandiano), a man claiming to want to direct a film written by Harry, there is an air of familiarity in the atmosphere. Then it hits him: Ray X is actually the son of Ernesto Martel, a millionaire who recently died.
Flash back to 1994. We meet Lena (Cruz), an aspiring actress who works as Martel's secretary. A few too-close-for-comfort conversations and favors later, she becomes his mistress. Harry is beginning to cast his new film, "Women and Suitcases"; when he happens to meet Lena, he is instantly smitten and casts her. But Martel is obsessed with Lena in the same way Glenn Close was obsessed with Michael Douglas. So he has his son, 2008's Ray X, document every second of the shoot in order to assure himself that Lena isn't doing anything he doesn't approve of. But when Lena and Harry begin having an affair, it begins a deadly chain of events.
There are so many shifts and so many side-plots that "Broken Embraces" is like an entanglement of different emotions and styles; yet, it never seems cluttered. Almodóvar is never quite sure if he would rather have the film be a "women's picture"-style melodrama or a tribute to voyeurism and obsession. The camera lingers on Cruz as if she were a goddess - every move she makes is delicately framed - and the romantic interludes are hot and heavy, only a step above those steamy meetings between Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint in "North by Northwest."
But even with all of its Hollywood trademarks, "Broken Embraces" feels completely original. As it is photographed with Almodóvar's trademark visual style (this time around using a palette of bright reds and saturated yellows) and there are inserts of the film within a film, "Women and Suitcases" (which resembles Almodóvar's earlier "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown"), it shows a director unafraid of his audience, even if it may be impossible for anyone not to have fun with the film.
The drama is wild; the romance is breathy; "Broken Embraces" is delicious.
September 16, 2014
one of my favorite films of all time. A tragic love story/ film noir full of beauty and passion.
½ September 10, 2014
Another winner from Almodovar. Pretty impressed with Penelope Cruz's performance here too.
September 2, 2014
Pedro Almodóvar back angrier and charming than ever. In "Broken Embraces", Almodóvar takes a fantastic look full of grace and inspiration inside Penélope Cruz in the role of the sensitive "Magdalena". Another magnificent and sweeping masterpiece by Almodóvar, in his fourth film with Penélope. The delicate and fleeting vision of this wonderful director bring us his style in a outstanding story. All I can say is "Bravo!"
½ August 31, 2014
Penelope Cruz topless gives it the last 1/2 star
½ July 12, 2014
Typical 'Almodovar' and I say that as a positive thing. Dark, funny, twisted, and smart but the ending lacks the punch you might expect from a story like this. Oh, and there's no reason this film should be over 2 hrs.
June 19, 2014
February 3, 2014
addicted by his works, this is fourth movie for me, So far, all his stuffs are really inspiring
½ January 26, 2014
"Movies have to be finished, even if you do it blindly." - Harry Caine
January 3, 2014
Vau! Mitähän tästä voi edes sanoa. Kukaan ei tee ihmissuhdedraamaa kuten Almodovar. Lluis Homar ja Penelope Cruz on kankaalla täydellinen pari.
½ December 4, 2013
Creativa y brillante... o al menos lo es hasta cierto punto. La película se extiende con escenas largas y vagas, que, aunque no la vuelven pesada es un relleno innecesario.