Brotherhood of the Wolf Reviews

• Feb 25, 2019

At a glance the mix of native american and french partners is odd but then many Native Americans help the french when the US was being settled so it makes sense some would travel to Europe. This is one of my all time favorites. Must watch with subtitles, all English voice overs don't do it justice.

• Jan 04, 2019

Based on a true story (!!!) - or at least many of the characters are real people from pre-revolutionary 18th century France (the bodice-ripping era) -- and apparently, there was a wolf-like beast preying on peasants in this particular regional area of France at that time. The fictional conceit is that two "investigators", one French (Samuel Le Bihan) and one Native American or Canadian (Mark Dacascos), have been sent by the King to catch the beast and bring it back to Paris for scientific analysis. So far, so good. However, the style used to present this story (by director Christophe Gans) is one that I find immediately off-putting: it's that mix of video game or comic book aesthetics with irritating sound effects, slow motion fight moves, and occasional CGI flourishes that also marred other films of this time period (I'm thinking the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes film at the moment). Others may enjoy this style and certainly this became a hit outside of France but it ruined the film for me (that and the over-long running time and dragging romantic scenes). Still, there are some fine actors here (Vincent Cassell, Émilie Dequenne, and Monica Bellucci among them) and the art direction/period mise en scene generally looks great (apart from that CGI sheen). A conspiracy plot lies buried beneath everything, which could be appealing if the chaff were cut away from the wheat. In short, I tried hard to get into this - comparing it to some of the Hong Kong films of yore (with their decidedly non-naturalistic fight scenes and sound effects) - but to no avail. Moreover, the beast itself reminds one of Princess Mononoke (1997), the better film (if entirely different). I guess I can't really recommend this - but whatever floats your boat!

• Jul 25, 2018

ninja pirates. with monster.

ninja pirates. with monster.

• May 06, 2018

This film surprised me! Has a bit of every genre and keeps you interested, though it could have been a half hour shorter.

• Feb 13, 2018

Here comes an Easy way to become a member of the world's famous brotherhood {Illuminati}. For working class, Business men/ women, artist, Politicians that wants to become bigger, Powerful and Influential in the world, join us to become one of our official member today. You shall be given an ideal chance to visit the Illuminati circle after registration is completed by you, no sacrifice or human life needed, Illuminati brotherhood brings along protection, power, wealth and fame in life. You have a full access to eradicate poverty from your generation. It only an existing member of the circle of Illuminati that has the authority to introduce any member to the circle. So before you contact us, you must be above 18yrs and once you become a member you will be entitled to all the benefits for the rest of your life. So if you are ready to become a member, contact me on email: illuminatibrother002@gmail.com or call/text (307) 463 4984 for further details

• Sep 15, 2017

Didn't expect it to be that good. Action stunts are perfect.

Didn't expect it to be that good. Action stunts are perfect.

• Dec 19, 2016

Outstanding movie...!

Outstanding movie...!

• Apr 09, 2016

love this movie...Hope somebody gets this for streaming purchase soon

love this movie...Hope somebody gets this for streaming purchase soon

• Dec 30, 2015

film is a complete mess, worth the watch for the last third really.

film is a complete mess, worth the watch for the last third really.

• Dec 15, 2015

Two and a half hours long, we were given this by ian B. Described as "a period costume horror martial-arts werewolf movie" on IMDB it has some wacky Special Effects and was surprisingly less boring than one might imagine. The martial arts fight choreography was pretty good: why is it when a group of baddies surround a goodie they tend to attack one at a time instead of rushing him? I did see one of our heroes throw three attackers at once, mind. Based on a historical report it's largely fantasy and with a plot that twists over and over and has inconsistencies and incoherencies. Well made but not to be taken seriously.