Brotherhood of the Wolf Reviews

• Feb 26, 2021

Aspires to be a major cinematic masterpiece of intrigue, historical fiction, martial arts, supernatural, eroticism, special effects; is cast is generally very strong

• Feb 06, 2021

Absolutely fantastic movie. One of the best French movies on last year's. Dacascos is great

• Jan 08, 2021

This is my favourite movie of all time. It has it all, martial arts, sex, action, mystery, historical setting, costumes, likable characters. Think of this movie as a fun role playing session that was then turned into a film by professionals and you'll avoid one potential issue with the movie--expecting it to fit neatly into a smaller genre space.

• Jul 19, 2020

Brotherhood of the wolf is a product of genre mixes like no other. Part martial arts film, part horror, werewolf film, part period drama film and part romance film, this pic really blends it all. And the end result is actually quite good. It's got good cinematography and a cast of good French actors like Samuel le Bihan and Vincent Cassel. I liked how this movie is also a take on the old French legend of the beast of Geraudan, although the filmmakers twist a few elements here and there. A viscerally stylish horror pic, and occasionally offering some bloody moments. I liked this movie, it's a good entry into the genre (or even several genres). I would recommend it, but especially to viewers with a long attention span, because the film is around 2h30, which even I started to find long after a while. But overall, a very satisfying film and recommended!!

• May 26, 2020

A movie unlike anything I seen check it out yeah it's not a masterpiece but I enjoy the hell of of it.

• Feb 18, 2020

An entertaining blend of fiction, action in an odd historical setting.

An entertaining blend of fiction, action in an odd historical setting.

• Oct 05, 2019

Stay away from The Directors Cut.

Stay away from The Directors Cut.

• Feb 25, 2019

At a glance the mix of native american and french partners is odd but then many Native Americans help the french when the US was being settled so it makes sense some would travel to Europe. This is one of my all time favorites. Must watch with subtitles, all English voice overs don't do it justice.

• Jan 04, 2019

Based on a true story (!!!) - or at least many of the characters are real people from pre-revolutionary 18th century France (the bodice-ripping era) -- and apparently, there was a wolf-like beast preying on peasants in this particular regional area of France at that time. The fictional conceit is that two "investigators", one French (Samuel Le Bihan) and one Native American or Canadian (Mark Dacascos), have been sent by the King to catch the beast and bring it back to Paris for scientific analysis. So far, so good. However, the style used to present this story (by director Christophe Gans) is one that I find immediately off-putting: it's that mix of video game or comic book aesthetics with irritating sound effects, slow motion fight moves, and occasional CGI flourishes that also marred other films of this time period (I'm thinking the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes film at the moment). Others may enjoy this style and certainly this became a hit outside of France but it ruined the film for me (that and the over-long running time and dragging romantic scenes). Still, there are some fine actors here (Vincent Cassell, Émilie Dequenne, and Monica Bellucci among them) and the art direction/period mise en scene generally looks great (apart from that CGI sheen). A conspiracy plot lies buried beneath everything, which could be appealing if the chaff were cut away from the wheat. In short, I tried hard to get into this - comparing it to some of the Hong Kong films of yore (with their decidedly non-naturalistic fight scenes and sound effects) - but to no avail. Moreover, the beast itself reminds one of Princess Mononoke (1997), the better film (if entirely different). I guess I can't really recommend this - but whatever floats your boat!

• Jul 25, 2018

ninja pirates. with monster.

ninja pirates. with monster.