The Brothers Bloom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brothers Bloom Reviews

August 8, 2017
Rian Johnson's sophomore effort closely mirrors the story it tells, and not necessarily in the best way: much like the winding con of the titular brothers, it's a film that's constantly faking you out, offering endings that never come and adding layer upon layer to this ultimate con, to the point where it's nearly exhausting. Johnson introduces lots of really emotionally heavy ideas here, each tied to different characters; in this, there's constantly a lack of focus as to what the main theme of the movie is, and that can sometimes soften the emotional blow Johnson is trying to give. These characters are individually well-written, with solid arcs for each and great performances to convey them (the standout being the two ladies, Rachel Weisz's bubbly Penelope and Rinko Kikuchi's mute oddball Bang Bang), but they're all thrown into a cinematic blender that leaves the grand scheme of things feeling jumbled. Johnson delivers harder on the directorial side of things: this is a film brimming with quirky visual humor, very much in line with the works of Wes Anderson and Edgar Wright. And while Johnson fires on all cylinders, it's the kind of humor that constantly elicits chuckles, and never rolls into feeling distracting. As a newcomer to the filmmaking system, Johnson is making a strong name for himself as an imaginative, inventive director just two films in. The Brothers Bloom is consistently entertaining, which is always a good thing, but a tale that needed just a couple more passes to find its true voice to make the step from "good" to "great."
½ July 22, 2017
For whatever reason, I like this story. It's quirky, well acted but the story is laid out kinda campy. I enjoyed the story itself though, different. Mark Ruffalo is always a pleasure to watch.
July 18, 2017
One of my favorites, it brings with it two con artist brothers who have done cons all their life, but one of them wants out(long before the girl to), and anyone who says this movie ain't good then they haven't watched it till the end, because the ending is what sets it apart from every other movie. And the music is original and great, every time I hear The Perfect Con I think about this movie and how good and sad it was.
½ June 8, 2017
The best thing about this is Rachel Weisz. The only other good things I can say about this are maybe the cinematography, and maybe the score, but that's pushing it more. I just didn't like this at all. I guess Mark Ruffalo and Adrien Brody were fine.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 18, 2016
Quirky and complex. Rian Johnson is a talented filmmaker. Kudos to the casting director.
½ August 17, 2016
I wasn't as pleased by the end as I thought I was going to be while watching the first half. Still, The Brothers Bloom is by my estimation an indisputably charming and funny film...in its own uniquely quirky way.
½ June 25, 2016
great chemistry between adrien brody and mark ruffalo, nice comedic timing.
June 10, 2016
One of those strange but memorable movies.
½ January 20, 2016
Is the movie great? The answer is no; however, there is an innocence that transcends and becomes contagious.
January 10, 2016
Are you sure this isn't a Wes Anderson movie?
½ December 25, 2015
Watched it all the way more than once. Nice subtly.
½ November 3, 2015
A delightful, clever and whimsical comedy that boasts great performances by its entire cast and an amusing - if also forgettable - narrative with many scenes that bring to mind the humor seen in the films of Wes Anderson and the Coen brothers.
May 31, 2015
While it may not balance its tones as well as the characters do a con, its one heck of an entertaining story.
May 19, 2015
Loved this movie - quirky, funny, and amazing acting!
April 29, 2015
Ruffalo and Brody are having fun. Weisz is quirky with her huge smile. It's a smooth, stylish grifter flick.
March 28, 2015
Silly, witty and funny. A comical take on con mans, good character development and all the performances were spot on. Really liked this movie!
½ March 2, 2015
A movie that tries to emulate Wes Anderson's style and witty sense of humor, The Brothers Bloom is sadly nothing more than that. It falls very short and many scenes have potential but just aren't quite right. Mark Ruffalo is terrific, otherwise it may be best to spend your time on something else.
February 15, 2015
Quirky and fun. Not overly sappy. I was slightly disturbed but more intrigued that I couldn't identify a specific time period for the film. It gave my brain something to play with other than the storyline.
February 9, 2015
I;m with The Voice critic on this one - another great con movie (The Sting? Jackie Brown? Glengarry Glen Ross?) with a lotta heart...great performances and bang up PVs. worth two or three viewings!