The Brothers Bloom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brothers Bloom Reviews

½ August 17, 2016
I wasn't as pleased by the end as I thought I was going to be while watching the first half. Still, The Brothers Bloom is by my estimation an indisputably charming and funny its own uniquely quirky way.
½ June 25, 2016
great chemistry between adrien brody and mark ruffalo, nice comedic timing.
June 10, 2016
One of those strange but memorable movies.
½ January 20, 2016
Is the movie great? The answer is no; however, there is an innocence that transcends and becomes contagious.
January 10, 2016
Are you sure this isn't a Wes Anderson movie?
½ December 25, 2015
Watched it all the way more than once. Nice subtly.
½ November 3, 2015
A delightful, clever and whimsical comedy that boasts great performances by its entire cast and an amusing - if also forgettable - narrative with many scenes that bring to mind the humor seen in the films of Wes Anderson and the Coen brothers.
May 31, 2015
While it may not balance its tones as well as the characters do a con, its one heck of an entertaining story.
May 19, 2015
Loved this movie - quirky, funny, and amazing acting!
April 29, 2015
Ruffalo and Brody are having fun. Weisz is quirky with her huge smile. It's a smooth, stylish grifter flick.
March 28, 2015
Silly, witty and funny. A comical take on con mans, good character development and all the performances were spot on. Really liked this movie!
½ March 2, 2015
A movie that tries to emulate Wes Anderson's style and witty sense of humor, The Brothers Bloom is sadly nothing more than that. It falls very short and many scenes have potential but just aren't quite right. Mark Ruffalo is terrific, otherwise it may be best to spend your time on something else.
February 15, 2015
Quirky and fun. Not overly sappy. I was slightly disturbed but more intrigued that I couldn't identify a specific time period for the film. It gave my brain something to play with other than the storyline.
February 9, 2015
I;m with The Voice critic on this one - another great con movie (The Sting? Jackie Brown? Glengarry Glen Ross?) with a lotta heart...great performances and bang up PVs. worth two or three viewings!
½ November 12, 2014
This movie is almost a Wes Anderson movie, except it's not a Wes Anderson movie, but it wants to be a Wes Anderson movie. But like most Wes Anderson wannabe movies that aren't quite Wes Anderson movies, they disappoint. It's really not as complicated as you think it is.
November 10, 2014
I'm just confused. And I don't care.
November 1, 2014
Awesome! Top on my all time faves list.
September 27, 2014
Smart and intelligent. Nothing more, nothing less
September 18, 2014
Johnson's direction is really good, and the plot is compelling if a little predictable (hey guess what a movie about con men has a bunch of cons in it), but, while the acting is also really good (especially Kikuchi, who is easily the best part of the whole movie), the characters are simply walking bundles of mannerisms and affectations, and their behaviour often makes the tone almost unbearably precious and whimsical. The strong direction and acting overcomes this, but it can be painful at times.
September 7, 2014
This movie seems to have all the right ingredients: great actors, witty dialogue, beautiful cinematography. Yet somehow the end result is less that the sum of is parts. Perhaps I was expecting a clever twist at the end that never came, or perhaps some other ingredient was missing, but when the end credit rolled, I was underwhelmed.