The Brothers Grimm Reviews

• Jan 30, 2020

I watched this movie with high hopes, but was severely disappointed. This movie did nothing to stand out and seemed just be throwing the ball against the wall hoping it would stick. The movie didn't know when to be serious and when to be silly. Also, don't even try to make plot holes because they are all over the place.

• Jan 14, 2020

This movie bit off more than it could chew. It makes a lot more sense as a tv series.

• Dec 14, 2019

Imagine a headless chicken running blindly around in the woods for 2 hours and you've got this movie in a nutshell. Astonishingly, Terry Gilliam fails every single aspect of competent story telling in this mess. I'm a great fan of Gilliam, but I suspected this 'film' was thrown together by a first year film student with absolutely no ability to get the audience from point a, to b, to c and then to the end. We only get endless scenes where we're given point a and maybe point b, but NEVER shown point c. The whole mess comes stumbling across the finish-line at the end with the audience having NO idea how we got there. Watched this on Netflix, but would have walked out of the threatre after 20 minutes.

• Oct 13, 2019

Not my cup of tea. Well played, though.

Not my cup of tea. Well played, though.

• Jul 09, 2019

A remake of this concept with much better world-building and visual effects that are composited with the correct saturation and black levels, could be fantastic, especially if done as a Netflix show. As it stands the story never quite got started or pulled me in since I had expectations of the structure ahead of time. A better version of this movie, imo, is Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman. VERY similar story, but the scope and VFX of Van Helsing were more filling. This movie is especially frustrating given the MASSIVE scope and potential of a Brothers Grimm Cinematic Universe. This is the same way the Goosebumps movie is frustrating.

• Jun 29, 2019

Visually a feast, full of gothic atmosphere and potential for a wonderful movie. Then the actors open their mouths and everything falls in a messy heap. Terrible script, lacking direction and a sense of it's definition (comedy?fantasy?spoof?) Even the top notch cast seem uncomfortable in their shoes. Fine to have on in the background, don't bother sitting down and getting comfy though.

• Jun 15, 2019

Great cast and was interesting how they brought these fairy-tales to life

Great cast and was interesting how they brought these fairy-tales to life

• Dec 12, 2018

Movie Review for ï¿ 1/2 1/2Brothers Grimmï¿ 1/2 1/2ï¿ 1/2? will make you want your own FANTASY! I was staring at my wall one night, when I got the urge to watch a movie that night. I grabbed my device and went on my app Tubi and scrolled through movies and movies looking for one when surprisingly a movie caught my eye it was called ï¿ 1/2 1/2The Brothers Grimmï¿ 1/2 1/2ï¿ 1/2?. After that I decided to watch and once it was done I was very surprised how good it was but it did have some mistakes but thatï¿ 1/2 1/2(TM)s ok. The Main plot of the story was About two brother who were working for people to help them defeat evil magic everywhere when a small village called for there help as soon as they got there they found a girl named Angelica with a story to tell about the village when she tells then they find out a terrifying discovery, soon they tried to solve the mystery as soon as they found out the mystery they were determined to destroy it whatever it is. I would say the actors did great with their characters, the actors where Heath Ledger which was one of the brothers he was Jacob Grimm, Matt Damon which was the other brother Will Grimm, Monica Bellucci as the selfish mirror queen, and lena Headey as Angelica these were the main characters in the movie. I think of Heath Ledger character was adventurous and brave when it came to the stories he was told when he was young he always acted like he wanted to be apart of that story when he was fixing the mystery he noticed he had known this story and he was in it I think Heath Ledger did great acting for Jacob Grimm. I think of Matt Damon as adventurous too he was also brave, I loved how he acted when it can to girls to him it was hilarious he would act charming and it would just make me laugh my favorite part of his character was probably his actions and they ways he tried to win over girls hearts, he could be rude to his brother Jacob but they were still brothers and they stuck together.I think Monica Bellucci did great acting with her character she made it seem as if you was young but was actually the selfish mirror queen who only cared about her looks but once the story was retold it came to life and she did too I think she a great job.I think Lena Headey was acting as if it were like a life in a movie she was brave, she took her acting to the next level like im impressed If I could tell her she wax great i would. I think the moral of this movie was to not trust any type of magic. I would suggest people who like the genre iï¿ 1/2 1/2(TM)m about to put down like this watch ï¿ 1/2 1/2The Brother Grimmï¿ 1/2 1/2ï¿ 1/2? romance, adventure, horor, mystery,and action. I think the actor did great being their character in the movie because they acted if it were real it was like it was coming to life, prvo prvo to the actor they did great. The MPAA of the movie is PG-13 if your wondering. I would watch this every time i'm bored or your bored even if I watch this a million times its still good.In my opinion I would say that the scenes in the movie were good but some were confusing but then they would tell you after which was ok for me but I would prefer they would explain it better sometimes but otherwise I didnt mind. I would Rate this movie 41/2 out 5 stars I would recommend this to your friends too.

• Nov 26, 2018

The Brothers Grimm: 5 out of 10: Two brother's (the titular Brothers Grimm) travel the countryside fooling rubes into thinking that they have a haunting and the brothers are solving it. While in occupied Germany they are tasked with an enchanted forest and to the surprise of no-one who has seen a movie in the last fifty years the forest is apparently really haunted. The Brother's Grimm shares a lot of the same DNA as another movie I saw recently Van Helsing. Both are overstuffed and overlong. Both have lead actors that are much better than the material would suggest. Both deal with characters that are either in or adjacent to the public domain. Both have special effect failures that shouldn't happen in a movie with a release year that starts with a 2. Both have rather weak antagonists and both have very strong love interests. Yet I enjoyed Van Helsing a lot more than I did The Brother's Grimm. The problem that Brother's Grimm has is the underlying story lacks any focus. While Van Helsing is simply Dracula vs James Bond, The Brother's Grimm seems to be a family drama mixed with a love triangle, mixed with a historical description of the French being mean to the Germans (refreshing as that is it takes the movie off its actual point.), mixed with the do you believe in magic plot that makes my eyes roll right out of my head. The Good: The acting is everything from solid (Heath Ledger) to delightful (Lena Headey) only Jonathan Pryce as the bad guy seeming off and honestly that is more a miscasting than Mr. Pyrce's fault. There is a gingerbread man that is not just better than anything else in the film but is one of the most amazing things I have seen in years. It is almost worth the price of admission. The Bad: The gingerbread man as described above appears in the film for about two minutes. Nothing else comes close to the excitement, fear, and creativity of that creation. So much in this film is simply a call out to a Brother's Grimm story. So there are mattresses piled in a stack or porridge served in three bowls and I suppose we are supposed to feel smart recognizing a children's nursery rhyme. The problem with trying to fit all the Brother's Grimm stories in one film is that it becomes a hodgepodge mess. Does Rapunzel need a magic mirror and a girl with a red hood? Who knows? But she will get them here. The Ugly: I love director Terry Gilliam but he left his sense of visual style in another castle on this one. This is the muddiest ugliest film he has ever done. Keep in mind he directed both Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Brazil. Not exactly films that are known for colors that pop. There is a scene late in the film where Pryce leads the French in shelling the forest. It is a spectacular scene with bright fire and good effects. It really stands out from the rest of the film. Like the Gingerbread Man, it more serves to remind you that you have spent an hour and a half so far watching something much less impressive. Also, like the Gingerbread Man, it really makes no sense in relation to the rest of the story. In Conclusion: With this cast and director, this should have been a much better film. Too bad the script is a poison apple that puts the audience to sleep.

• Nov 09, 2018

Individual moments of brilliance overshone by a script that seems to have had one in 10 scenes cut that were really necessary. Single lines here and there could have better built up the conflicts in the movie, but as it stands you almost have to see it twice to understand what's going on between these characters. If certain scenes where jokes didn't land were cut in favor of these building blocks, this could easily be changed into a 60-75% movie.