Brubaker Reviews

• May 28, 2019

Decent prison story, but not quite as dramatic as I would have hoped.

Decent prison story, but not quite as dramatic as I would have hoped.

• Jan 31, 2019

Change Comes Involuntarily. Brubaker Rosenberg's prison stay is exactly how it should go, an impenetrable fascism writhing against an unbiased force with of course a pinch of madness. This recipe has always worked, not for its procedure, but for the obvious tasty ingredients it is brimmed of. Yes, it overstays its welcome and feels a bit stretch over here and there, but there is a lot to look and ponder about. The meticulous gritty long sequences that it adapts to convey a messages out loud and clear is a double edge sword, since there is barely anything cinematic about it, it can be both unnerving and illuminating. The characters are stereotypical pawns as we usually see in such genre, a big bully, a corrupted cop and a rotten system run by bratty misleading leaders. But all of it can be forgiven by easily, since our protagonist is equally glorifying and worth rooting for. The whole "one man can change" theory bodes well in this narration, which the makers being aware of, makes sure that the protagonist bubbles up as the ultimate dream hero there ever was and should be. Portraying such a powerful character lies Redford's exceptional performance, where the annoyance and irritation of single minded people is expressed freely through him. In fairness, the elements of the storytelling too helps him, a few incident where the right and wrong scale is imbalanced and shucked out of the window, to makes you clench your jaw. What makes this experience jarring- and mind you not poignant, which is usually the case- is the buoyancy of the screenplay, it keeps throwing enough reasons back to makes you punch your way out of this. On that very note, Rosenberg triumphs on mapping down that emotion for us to visit blatantly on screen, Brubaker is the leader we want but we cannot get.

• Nov 11, 2018

It seemed like the type of movie I would like, but it never really connected with me. It was slow and hard to get into. The ending was really corny. (First and only viewing - 11/11/2018)

• Sep 08, 2018

While not quite launching to the status of "Shawshank" or "Green Mile", this is still among the better prison films and remains uncompromising throughout it's duration.

• Apr 29, 2018

I really enjoyed this film. Robert Redford's dreamy face is an added bonus.

I really enjoyed this film. Robert Redford's dreamy face is an added bonus.

• Jan 29, 2018

Somewhat fictitious adaption from actual events of an actual idealist Brubaker played by Robert Redford himself, exposing corruption within a particular prison called Wakefield but is actually called Tucker Prison Farm. Somewhat loosely based from a book called "Accomplices to the Crime: The Arkansas Prison Scandal" from Thomas O. Murton and Joe Hyams. Movie Veteran Morgan Freeman has a small guest appearance as one of the inmates.

• Jan 29, 2018

(*Spoiler Alert*) - No Happy Ending! :-(

(*Spoiler Alert*) - No Happy Ending! :-(

• Aug 24, 2017

this movie is decent but it just didnt excite me that much

this movie is decent but it just didnt excite me that much

• Jun 12, 2017

A prison with inmates that get punished and tortured is getting out of controll, so when Henry Brubaker is becoming the new warden, big changes must come. And they do. Suddenly everyone are treated with respect, the inmates are taking part of changes and rules and in general it seems a much greater place. It's development is OK and it looks all right, still it seems a bit easy and sloppy in it's methods of telling the story of why the methods actually works. Some nastier scenes but never a 18 certificate for me. Solid acting by Robert Redford as the lead, some prisoners also acts well. It's cool to see a younger Morgan Freeman here too, but he never gets much screentime. OK, but nothing more. Never especially exciting or gripping. 6 out of 10 sunglases.

• Apr 10, 2017

This Movie Was 34 Years Old In June Of 2014.

This Movie Was 34 Years Old In June Of 2014.