Burke and Hare Reviews

• Dec 02, 2019

This is one my favorite comedy films, Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis were amazing in this movie.

• Aug 12, 2018

meh, but worth it to see British thespians like Sir Lee let loose

meh, but worth it to see British thespians like Sir Lee let loose

• May 20, 2018

Holy s***, what a load of nonsense. The good actors in this movie should be ashamed of themselves. The money spent making the murder of 16 people funny is the only thing "laughable" about this film.

• Mar 16, 2018

Atmospheric, ironic, funny and in parts quite factual. Even a cameo by Christopher Lee.

• Dec 02, 2017

Squandered potential and story.

Squandered potential and story.

• Jul 19, 2017

Amusing British comedy set in 1828. With various comedians. Set in Edinburgh.

Amusing British comedy set in 1828. With various comedians. Set in Edinburgh.

• Nov 24, 2015

I don't know how I keep falling for it. Every time I see a Simon Pegg movie I fall into the same trap of thinking it's not going to be the most ridiculous film I've ever seen. Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis were a perfect pair with line after great line of dialogue and a story that was too ridiculous to believe. And then I found out that this entire plot is based on a true story. The real Burke is still sitting (skeleton) in a labaratory to this day. How strange is that? While writing this review, I'm staring at a screen that says 33% of critics enjoyed this while 36% of audiences also gave their approval. What is wrong with the majority of people? This was absolutely one of the most unexpectedly funny movies I've ever seen. I mean, I knew it was going to provide a few laughs but this entire movie had me dying. Isla Fisher and Tom Wilkinson (one of my favorites!) were also exceptional, respectively, as a theatre star and a creepy doctor doing what is best for science. Burke and Hare is currently on Netflix and I would absolutely recommend it to any fan of Pegg, or of comedy in general. You may not be expecting to laugh, but you absolutely will from beginning to end. Fantastic film.

• Jul 23, 2015

Despite atmospheric direction and a very game cast of British talent, Landis 'Hare' never amounts to much. It romanticizes the real life murders into a dark comedy, except the jokes never make much use of the ghoulish premise, and instead rely entirely on lame slapstick and toilet gags.

• Jul 08, 2015

It''s a real damn same that a director like John Landis can make a pretty terrible comedy like this, I mean I didn't laugh once during the movie and I didn't really enjoy it that much.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Jun 11, 2015

I didn't really get a sense, one way or the other, that this film really built to much. I found that I Sell the Dead, a film with, maybe, one-tenth the budget and only half of this film's talented cast, was considerably better than this. Of course, that makes it sound like I Sell the Dead didn't have a good cast, Dominic Monaghan, Larry Fessenden and Ron Perlman are talented actors. It's just that this film is simply far more stacked because of, you guessed it, its budget. Yet, with all of its money and its technical 'wizardry', when compared to I Sell the Dead, whose budget is very obvious from looking at it, it simply lacks what I Sell...had and that is a solid script for the cast to work with. Perhaps this is my fault, as I watched the film in two sittings, two days apart, I believe, and part of me just really couldn't get into the film. The cast is certainly good, and there's some funny stuff, mostly from the police captain and his two deputies. I was actually kind of surprised by how funny these three were. It's not like they were subtle in that dry way that the British tend to do, and it's not like it's even great comedy, but it did make me laugh at how silly these three could be at any given time. It's a movie that, as far as I can tell, went up and down in relation to its consistency and its tonal issues. Perhaps more the former than the later, as this was more inconsistent than it being all over the place in terms of tone. Two sides of the same coin, I suppose. It's just that the film really isn't that funny, despite really trying very hard. It's just like everything, really. If you try enough then there will be some that hit and some that miss. Unfortunately, in this case, they're more misses than hits. The difference between the two may not be that much, but it's still leaning more towards miss. The film is certainly fine to look at, it captures the time and era fairly well. The best part, as should be obvious, is the cast. It's clear that they were having a good time, even if the script didn't match their enthusiasm. I found to be, at the very least, a watchable enough film, with enough liveliness, ironic considering the subject matter, from the cast to make it so that I didn't feel like I wasted my time watching it. I don't think it's good, but it was fine enough to sit through. The fact that it's less than 90 minutes long definitely helps. I will never watch it again, and likely forget it in a week, but this is a slightly below average film. It may look cheaper but I would recommend watching I Sell the Dead instead. It's so much better than this.