Burning (Beoning) Reviews

• Sep 17, 2019

Do you know Bushmen in the Kalahari Desert, Africa It is said that Bushmen have two types of hungry people. Hungry English is hunger, Little hungry and great hungry. Little hungry people are physically hungry, The great hungry is a person who is hungry for survival. Why do we live, What is the significance of living? People who are always looking for these answers. This kind of person is really hungry, They called the great hungry. Jong-seo Jun as Shin Hae-mi this movie is so complex, it build it's characters slowly, but it rewards you at the end ! for me, this's the kind of storytelling pace i admire, great film !!

• Sep 17, 2019

A bleak masterpiece.

A bleak masterpiece.

• Sep 09, 2019

if you want to understand "nothing" watch this movie.

if you want to understand "nothing" watch this movie.

• Aug 28, 2019

Very slow and boring. Do not waste your time

Very slow and boring. Do not waste your time

• Aug 19, 2019

Love triangle where as usual the female is the object caught between the two male characters, her characterization is paper thin. Predictable plot twists, and two hours later you are left wondering is that it?

• Aug 08, 2019

This film blew me away on a handful of fronts. I think Lee did a great job at effectively conveying the emotions of the characters. This was conveyed by a number of stylistic strategies such as the camera placement, the set design, and the acting. For instance, take Jong-Su's jealousy of Ben in the first half. Several sequences featuring Jong-su remaining silent as Ben and Hae-mi continue to chat and get to know each other around him, his various glances and remarks at the two which effortlessly capture subtle, yet firm expressions of alienation and melancholy, and all kinds of visual details which demonstrate how Ben is everything which Jong-su isn't succeed in getting under your skin far better than any direct statement of his jealousy would've been able to accomplish. Around the halfway point though, Ben confesses something to Jong-su which sends the film in a whole new direction (a change which is telegraphed to us by an abrupt and completely silent scene). This direction adds a consistent layer of slow burning suspense to the film which characterizes the rest of it. Throughout this part of the film, many indications that something is up are given to us as it goes on. In addition, Lee also makes us second guess a couple other details brought up earlier in the film which we believed to be true. As much as we (and Jong-su for that matter) hope to receive a definitive answer though, Lee refuses to supply us with one. He chooses to leave us hanging with a shred of doubt that we wish to see satisfied throughout the second half. Since the film is told from the point of view of Jong-su though, we go along and side with him. Does he do the right thing at the end though? The shred of doubt we've had throughout is what makes the payoff so effective. Once the credits roll, you can't stop thinking about what you've just seen.

• Aug 01, 2019

I'm a Haruki Murakami fan so it was so absolutely impressive to see how masterfully this film managed to adapt Murakami's surreal style not just through the plot but even through the acting and cinematography (one of the best of that year), and that in itself is very impressive. What is even more impressive however, is how the film so smartly subverts your expectations, beginning with a first half that eventually evolves into something entirely different. And even if the burn getting there was agonizingly slow (yes, even boring), I was still always on the edge of my seat, scrutinizing every single thing happening on screen and gasping with shock after shock after shock. Thank you so much to Lee Chang-dong, Yoo Ah-in (I've seen him in some K-dramas and the transformation from flower boy to this was beyond impressive), Steven Yeun, Jun Jong-seo and cinematographer Hong Kyung-pyo for delivering a movie experience I will never forget.

• Jul 14, 2019

Slow and pretentious, leading to an entirely-predictable (and way overused) plot "twist." Don't waste your time.

• Jul 11, 2019

There's nothing like Ah-in Yoo's performance in Burning. Miraculous.

There's nothing like Ah-in Yoo's performance in Burning. Miraculous.

• May 17, 2019

Came across this amazing film quite by accident. Very subtle telling of a very complex tale.